ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Raja@ASUS - Thanks for the reply! Couple of quick questions for you.

1) Will overclocking using just the multiplier affect the turbo boost?

2) What programs do you recommend to test the overclock? Also, for how long should I test with each program?

By the way, I'm using the 5930k and only plan a light overclock. Thanks again for your help!

1) The overclocked frequency will be the turbo ratio in most cases - when using the 100 strap as one needs the turbo ratios to apply the overclock on that strap.

2) ROG Realbench stress test (not the benchmark) for 2 hours with the correct amount of memory selected.

-Raja

As Praz said. The (8 core 16 thread) 5960X CPUs pull a lot of current when fully loaded over 4GHz. No matter how good a heatsink is, if airflow around it is poor it wont disspate heat well. With over 250W going through the heatsink array and rising ambient temps in a PC case, I recommend users actively cool the sink when running full load stress tests on the 5960X.

No rumor, no mysticism, just common sense.

Doesn't have more sense to give suggestions based on vrm temperature more than CPU frequency?
There are people who can do 4GHz with stock voltage or lower, so what is the sense of suggesting vrm cooling based on CPU frequency?

What is the maximum suggested temperature?

Raja, is it normal for the PCH to idle at 52-55C on the X99-E WS? After a long game session, it peaked at 65C. I'm not too far off from maxing out the PCIe capabilities of this board, so I was thinking maybe that had something to do with it. Just wondering if I should look into getting some active cooling into that area.

As Praz said. The (8 core 16 thread) 5960X CPUs pull a lot of current when fully loaded over 4GHz. No matter how good a heatsink is, if airflow around it is poor it wont disspate heat well. With over 250W going through the heatsink array and rising ambient temps in a PC case, I recommend users actively cool the sink when running full load stress tests on the 5960X.

No rumor, no mysticism, just common sense.

Thanks for the straight forward reply, makes perfect sense to me. I may still pick up the EK block for the RVE just due to sexiness though. :D

1) Vengeance LPX 2800MHz 1.2V can't boot at 2800MHz 1.2V or 1.35V on strap 100 without getting bd or jdhsakldj errors on warm reboot. No matter the vcore or system agent I use.
2) Cache ratio stop working on 125 strap. When using 125 strap, cache is locked at 3GHz all the time, no matter the cache ratio I select in bios. If this is the feature that OC socket brings I prefer the standard version.
3) CPU not throttle on default settings, mobo shutdown the system when 95c is reached.
4) Asus is known to require more vcore than other motherboards to get it stable (see anandtech reviews x99 roundup), I need 1.3V to get 4.2GHz stable.
5) Sometimes some USB does not work and needs a reboot to get it working
6) EZ Update is an unuseful software, it doesn't work at all. It continue to say me that there is a bios update 1.0.0 while I'm on 1004
7) No way to not use AiSuite. My Corsair SP120 fans are powerful fans and they are very quite if used under 1000rpm, very good when in idle or surfing the internet.
Without AiSuite there is no way to use this fans under 1500RPM because bios don't let me lower the RPM enough. When using Linux I have no AiSuite and my PC is too loud.
8) I don't like the way Asus release BIOS. They release BETA bios on forums and if all is ok, they release that BIOS on the official site. We aren't your QA team. We are the customers who pay for your products.
9) ErP power saving does not work on my PC. I have a Corsair AX860i with all ErP supports but it doesn't work on my PC. Ethernet cards and USB remains active when the PC is off. (I have tried ERP S4+S5 on BIOS and S5 too)
10) A SLI motherboard that don't bundle a two way SLI bridge is ridiculous. X99 Deluxe comes with tri way bridge only, should I pay 5€ more for a two way bridge?
11) X99 Deluxe do not include a beeper, have you ever heard the BEEP that all mobos do after the POST? Should I pay 5€ more for a beeper?
12) I have AiSuite installed, my Nexus 5 isn't charged at 1A but at a standard 500mAh, where is the USB Charger+?
13) Adaptive does not work on 125 strap, why I can set adaptive if I enable 125 strap?
14) Adaptive cache voltage does not work neither on 100 or 125 strap?

I update the list of bugs that I found on Asus X99 Deluxe on 5930K.
PCIe Gen 3.0 makes maxwell cards unusable with display port.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1515655/gtx-980-displayport-issue-anyone-else

Is there someone who knows what is the Active Frequency Mode on Asus motherboards?

Asus AiSuite shows this setting with the Optimized Phase under the Digi+VRM section.
I know what Optimized phase is, but what is the active frequency mode?

I noticed that 5way optimization enable this setting by default but I bsod if it is on.

Raja, is it normal for the PCH to idle at 52-55C on the X99-E WS? After a long game session, it peaked at 65C. I'm not too far off from maxing out the PCIe capabilities of this board, so I was thinking maybe that had something to do with it. Just wondering if I should look into getting some active cooling into that area.

That temp range is fine.

Is there someone who knows what is the Active Frequency Mode on Asus motherboards?

Asus AiSuite shows this setting with the Optimized Phase under the Digi+VRM section.
I know what Optimized phase is, but what is the active frequency mode?

I noticed that 5way optimization enable this setting by default but I bsod if it is on.

really nice to see that asus puts settings in BIOS that no one knows without writing any information neither on the ROG site.
the most interesting thing is that they put this setting in the 5 way optimization too.

Hello there
Not sure whether to make a new post for this or add to this one, but here goes anyway!

I have a brand new X99 Deluxe with a 5820K in it, and I have been having all sorts of problems with it. After overclocking my 5820K, which wouldn't really stay stable above 4.0GHz (ASUS auto tune took it to 4.2 but was unstable, I tried manually adjusting voltage to the recommended max of 1.3, no dice), I now cannot boot windows IF I have just changed anything in the BIOS, even a simple fan setting. The only way to make it work is to clear the CMOS, and then power off completely for a minute or so. Then windows will boot but obviously I cannot use any of the Deluxe's features. BIOS flash via USB stick only has also stopped working.

I have tried updating the BIOS from within the BIOS option, and have managed to make both the 0904 and 1004 versions stick to see if it helps, however the problem persists. I also tried to do a windows repair but because of the above issue, windows repair cannot complete. NB all the overclocking was done with 1004 installed.

I have written to ASUS to see what can be done, but I am worried that I am using a defective board. Is there any chance that other components may be getting damaged?

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Not sure if anyone is reading these, but just by way of update - because of all the crashing during startup, it looks like the MBR was wrecked, so I rebuilt it and can get in now. I am still seeing crashing IN the BIOS, and my USB Flashback function is broken. Still not sure whether I trust the board at this time so may get an RMA.

Last edited:
I have an unknown device that I can't figure out what it is... The Siblings property on the details tab of this device shows that it's related to ASUSWMI, so I know it's part of the motherboard.

Also my A8ZHIIJY IDE Controller won't start because it can't find free resources? Is this a conflict with the way I have some of my sata devices plugged in? I'm using sata 1-4 for my raid 5 array, and I'm using sata 9 and 10 for my SSD and my optical. According to the manual, this shouldn't cause any conflicts? Also can't find any information on the A8ZHIIJY ide controller online other than my original post where I asked this on the equivalent OCN thread.

I downloaded every package from the asus site for the board, but even then these two devices aren't installed correctly.

Raja, or anyone with knowledge: How many 120mm fans (Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm specifically) can you safely hook up to each fan header? I'm hoping I can use the RVE UEFI to control 9 rad fans, and I was hoping I could hook up 3 to each header using splitters and then control them using one of the include temperature sensors to monitor the water temperature. Can these sensors get wet?

Hello there
Not sure whether to make a new post for this or add to this one, but here goes anyway!

I have a brand new X99 Deluxe with a 5820K in it, and I have been having all sorts of problems with it. After overclocking my 5820K, which wouldn't really stay stable above 4.0GHz (ASUS auto tune took it to 4.2 but was unstable, I tried manually adjusting voltage to the recommended max of 1.3, no dice), I now cannot boot windows IF I have just changed anything in the BIOS, even a simple fan setting. The only way to make it work is to clear the CMOS, and then power off completely for a minute or so. Then windows will boot but obviously I cannot use any of the Deluxe's features. BIOS flash via USB stick only has also stopped working.

I have tried updating the BIOS from within the BIOS option, and have managed to make both the 0904 and 1004 versions stick to see if it helps, however the problem persists. I also tried to do a windows repair but because of the above issue, windows repair cannot complete. NB all the overclocking was done with 1004 installed.

I have written to ASUS to see what can be done, but I am worried that I am using a defective board. Is there any chance that other components may be getting damaged?

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Not sure if anyone is reading these, but just by way of update - because of all the crashing during startup, it looks like the MBR was wrecked, so I rebuilt it and can get in now. I am still seeing crashing IN the BIOS, and my USB Flashback function is broken. Still not sure whether I trust the board at this time so may get an RMA.

In the main page of UEFI, check if the ME version is showing. If it is, reinstall the OS and see if you still get issues. If you do,RMA the board.

-Raja

Raja, or anyone with knowledge: How many 120mm fans (Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm specifically) can you safely hook up to each fan header? I'm hoping I can use the RVE UEFI to control 9 rad fans, and I was hoping I could hook up 3 to each header using splitters and then control them using one of the include temperature sensors to monitor the water temperature. Can these sensors get wet?

Check how much current each fan draws. You need to stay under 1 amp per header.

In the main page of UEFI, check if the ME version is showing. If it is, reinstall the OS and see if you still get issues. If you do,RMA the board.

-Raja

Thanks so much Raja, I will try that tonight. Can you advise why this is important and what it means please? Much appreciated.
EDIT: OK I booted her up, and the only thing I can see in the BIOS on either the first EZ screen, or under the 'main' tab is the American Megatrends number: "Version 2.16.1242. Copyright (C) 2013 American Megatrends". I am guessing this is something different to the ME number?

BTW really appreciate what you're doing Raja. There's a ton of folk (i.e. a planet's worth of ASUS users :D ) wanting answers and you are doing your level best to give them.

Last edited:
Check how much current each fan draws. You need to stay under 1 amp per header.

Excellent; AP--15's are rated 0.083A, 0.360A on startup so I should be good. Assuming I can modulate their speed against water temperature with a 2 pin temp probe, I see no need for a fan controller with this mobo.

Thanks so much Raja, I will try that tonight. Can you advise why this is important and what it means please? Much appreciated.
EDIT: OK I booted her up, and the only thing I can see in the BIOS on either the first EZ screen, or under the 'main' tab is the American Megatrends number: "Version 2.16.1242. Copyright (C) 2013 American Megatrends". I am guessing this is something different to the ME number?

BTW really appreciate what you're doing Raja. There's a ton of folk (i.e. a planet's worth of ASUS users :D ) wanting answers and you are doing your level best to give them.

Save a UEFI screen of the main tab of UEFI and post it here please. You can save screenshots by using a FAT32 formatted flash drive - press F12 to save the screenshot.

Save a UEFI screen of the main tab of UEFI and post it here please. You can save screenshots by using a FAT32 formatted flash drive - press F12 to save the screenshot.

Hi Raja, I went back into the BIOS and sure enough it is there, I must have missed it before. It says 9.1.10.1005. Reinstall windows, right? ;)

IHawMw1.jpg

Yes. Id reflash uefi, then reinstall the os. Check each memory module for stability in each slot. If that doesn't help then rma.

Hi Raja

I have now done that and unfortunately I still have the problem, including the crashing in the actual BIOS screen which I thought had gone. Looks like it is RMA time :(

Thanks for your help though

I am trying to use the XMP settings on my ASUS X99 Deluxe with a 5930K and H100i cooler...

When using the stock settings the frequency will throttle from about 2.5ghz to 3.7ghz(idle temps about 20c), but when using the XMP setting of 2800mhz for the DDR4(I have Corsair 2800 MHZ CL16-Model # CMK16GX4M4A2800C16) the 5930K is pegged at 3.8ghz constantly, causing idle temps closer to 30c!

I have tried many settings, but cannot find the particular one on the ASUS X99 Deluxe that will allow a down throttle will still allowing for a VERY mild OC at 3.82 GHZ...

Has anyone OC'd a X99 Deluxe with this same problem?

Thanks!

I am trying to use the XMP settings on my ASUS X99 Deluxe with a 5930K and H100i cooler...

When using the stock settings the frequency will throttle from about 2.5ghz to 3.7ghz(idle temps about 20c), but when using the XMP setting of 2800mhz for the DDR4(I have Corsair 2800 MHZ CL16-Model # CMK16GX4M4A2800C16) the 5930K is pegged at 3.8ghz constantly, causing idle temps closer to 30c!

I have tried many settings, but cannot find the particular one on the ASUS X99 Deluxe that will allow a down throttle will still allowing for a VERY mild OC at 3.82 GHZ...

Has anyone OC'd a X99 Deluxe with this same problem?

Thanks!

I have the same CPU, same mobo and same RAM, I have this problem on cache while on 125 strap but not on CPU frequency.
Try this:
set the CPU COre Ratio to Sync all cores and on one core ratio limit enter 30.

see if this solves, this works ok for me.

Hi Raja,
I'm having a similar issue as HarderThanIThought. I have had the X99 Deluxe board since the first week it was available and have had a pretty good experience with it. My 5820K is a good sample, reaching 4.6GHz with relatively low voltage. I had some issues with XMP working correctly with my Corsair Vengence 2800's and have heard that BIOS 1004 was an excellent update for memory. I recently updated and now cannot use XMP or overclock the CPU at all. I have flashed both by the EZ Flash utility and BIOS Flashback. I tried going back to an older BIOS version (0904) and the problem persists.
I can enable RAID and disable onboard devices, but if I try to make any changes in the Tweaker menu Windows will blue screen before fully loading up. I have tried reloading the OS as well. The only way that I can get my computer to boot after making changes is to reload default values. It runs great at default settings, but what fun is that??! ;) My ME version matches HarderThanIThought. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Raja,

Here is my setup.

5960x
Rampage V Extreme
Gskill Ripjaws 4 2400 32GB kit

I've been having issues with system stability running everything at stock settings. Everything is pretty much set to auto with the exception of the memory - I have that set to use the XMP profile and the command rate is set to 1T.

The stability issues I'm running into are when waking the computer from sleep or turning it on. After a period of time, when attempting to turn on the computer, it goes into a on/off cycle as if trying to find the correct settings and it just eventually gets stuck with no display. I have to turn off the computer and reset the BIOS settings at which point the computer starts up. After reconfiguring the BIOS, the computer works fine for a period of time until several on/off or sleep/wake cycles later, when trying to turn it on, it goes back into the on/off cycle and I have to reset the BIOS again. I am currently running 0802.

Just to experiment, I'm running the memory settings at 2133 MHZ at command rate of 1T to see if that helps. The strange thing is that I've experienced no instability when I'm in Windows and running various programs or games. It only happens when waking or turning the system on.

Is this a BIOS issue or a RAM? I should add that I haven't gotten around to running a memtest but from the symptons, I don't think it's the RAM. Let me know where I should start at in troubleshooting the problem. Thanks!

Raja,

Here is my setup.

5960x
Rampage V Extreme
Gskill Ripjaws 4 2400 32GB kit

I've been having issues with system stability running everything at stock settings. Everything is pretty much set to auto with the exception of the memory - I have that set to use the XMP profile and the command rate is set to 1T.

The stability issues I'm running into are when waking the computer from sleep or turning it on. After a period of time, when attempting to turn on the computer, it goes into a on/off cycle as if trying to find the correct settings and it just eventually gets stuck with no display. I have to turn off the computer and reset the BIOS settings at which point the computer starts up. After reconfiguring the BIOS, the computer works fine for a period of time until several on/off or sleep/wake cycles later, when trying to turn it on, it goes back into the on/off cycle and I have to reset the BIOS again. I am currently running 0802.

Just to experiment, I'm running the memory settings at 2133 MHZ at command rate of 1T to see if that helps. The strange thing is that I've experienced no instability when I'm in Windows and running various programs or games. It only happens when waking or turning the system on.

Is this a BIOS issue or a RAM? I should add that I haven't gotten around to running a memtest but from the symptons, I don't think it's the RAM. Let me know where I should start at in troubleshooting the problem. Thanks!

You didn't specify the memory kit part number: if the default command rate of those DIMMs is 2T and you are forcing 1T yourself then I would look at memory first.

Hi Raja,
I'm having a similar issue as HarderThanIThought. I have had the X99 Deluxe board since the first week it was available and have had a pretty good experience with it. My 5820K is a good sample, reaching 4.6GHz with relatively low voltage. I had some issues with XMP working correctly with my Corsair Vengence 2800's and have heard that BIOS 1004 was an excellent update for memory. I recently updated and now cannot use XMP or overclock the CPU at all. I have flashed both by the EZ Flash utility and BIOS Flashback. I tried going back to an older BIOS version (0904) and the problem persists.
I can enable RAID and disable onboard devices, but if I try to make any changes in the Tweaker menu Windows will blue screen before fully loading up. I have tried reloading the OS as well. The only way that I can get my computer to boot after making changes is to reload default values. It runs great at default settings, but what fun is that??! ;) My ME version matches HarderThanIThought. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

No thoughts really - would need the system here in front of me to work out what is causing the issue. This type of stuff requires a complete set of spare parts to isolate the cause.

Hi Raja,

Hi there

I RMA'd through Amazon. God I love Amazon, such good customer service.

ASUS' own suggestion was to buy a new BIOS chip and battery on the assumption my BIOS was fritzed, or RMA through supplier. A hardware review site I found implied that you would have to really push an overclock to blow the Deluxe's BIOS, but meh who knows. All of my clocking was either with AISuite or following the ASUS ROG guide so I would be pretty unhappy if that had blown it.

So anyways, there's a possibility. Sorry to hear you joined the BOOTFAIL Club :(

No thoughts really - would need the system here in front of me to work out what is causing the issue. This type of stuff requires a complete set of spare parts to isolate the cause.

I did a little more tinkering today and am finding strange things. I can set the CPU voltage manually and still boot into Windows. If I change the Ai Overclock Tuner setting from Auto to Manual (changing no other settings) or XMP it will fail to boot into Windows.

Here is the wrinkle, if I set OC Tuner to tune Ratio it will overclock the system and it will load into Windows just fine! I also gain the ability to change many settings that OC Tuner has modified and it will continue loading into Windows.
If I change something outside of those settings it will not load and I must force it to tune Ratio again or load optimized defaults.

Hi there

I RMA'd through Amazon. God I love Amazon, such good customer service.

ASUS' own suggestion was to buy a new BIOS chip and battery on the assumption my BIOS was fritzed, or RMA through supplier. A hardware review site I found implied that you would have to really push an overclock to blow the Deluxe's BIOS, but meh who knows. All of my clocking was either with AISuite or following the ASUS ROG guide so I would be pretty unhappy if that had blown it.

So anyways, there's a possibility. Sorry to hear you joined the BOOTFAIL Club :(

Thanks, sorry to hear you're having trouble also but good to see that Amazon is taking care of you.

Having now the X-99E WS motherboard with Xeon processor and 4x16GB ECC memory running smoothly I am interested about its ultimate capabilities. This mobo has 7 PCIe slots.
According to the PCIe specs maximum power which can be supplied through the PCIe slot is 75W. But is this mobo designed in such a way that it could keep supplying 75W to each of the 7 slots at the same time for a total PCIe power supply of 7x75W= 525W ??? I suppose this might be possible since there is special PCIe power supply connector near the PCIe slots but it would be good to know this for sure. The question is not entirely theoretical since one can imagine a rig with 7 high-end graphics cards converted to single slot watercooling for special applications in numerical computing.

I got a question about the Rampage V Extreme's Fan headers.

They are in pairs of 2 (1A/B, 2A/B, 3A/B, CPU/CPU_OPT). The manual says the maximum current for the CPU Fan header is 1A (12W). But is that shared with the CPU_OPT header? Or is it indeed per-header?

And more important for me, what about the other headers on the board? Are all of them 1A max for the pair or 1A for each of the 8 headers the board has in total?

I have a total of 7 120 and 140mm fans to connect, its normal Noctua fans that draw around 0.3-0.4A each.

Kind regards

I got a question about the Rampage V Extreme's Fan headers.

They are in pairs of 2 (1A/B, 2A/B, 3A/B, CPU/CPU_OPT). The manual says the maximum current for the CPU Fan header is 1A (12W). But is that shared with the CPU_OPT header? Or is it indeed per-header?

And more important for me, what about the other headers on the board? Are all of them 1A max for the pair or 1A for each of the 8 headers the board has in total?

I have a total of 7 120 and 140mm fans to connect, its normal Noctua fans that draw around 0.3-0.4A each.

Kind regards
Hello

1A per header for each header.

What voltages should I be adjusting if I'm only looking for a cpu overclock?

Been searching around but there's no concise answers which is understandable as this platform is still new. And most overclocking reviews only mention the vcore used so it really isn't helpful at all.

Last edited:
Just built a new computer. I hit the power button and heard a pop. Nothing happens. I look at the motherboard (Asus X99-A) and the only lights I see are Power LED/PWR SW which is red and RST SW which is green. Pressing both buttons do nothing. I'm guessing my newly bought motherboard is gone and I don't know what happened. Any suggestions?

Back