ASUS X99 Deluxe LGA 2011-v3 Motherboard Review @ [H]

What sense is it? This is an odd way to view technological progression. The "sense" is that it's faster. Why wouldn't you want that? Why isn't that a good thing? Now this sort of advancement isn't necessarily important right now because few people can leverage that kind of bandwidth regularly at the moment. Eventually you will see 10GbE in homes. At one point GbE networks in the home was viewed as ludicrous and now it's common place. The same thing will happen with 10GbE given enough time.

There are other priorities over a tech that no one needs.
10gigabit Ethernet at home is simply unuseful. No one will use it, most servers.interfaces are capped at gigabit, really can't understand how 10gigabit can benefit a home system.

There are other priorities over a tech that no one needs.
10gigabit Ethernet at home is simply unuseful. No one will use it, most servers.interfaces are capped at gigabit, really can't understand how 10gigabit can benefit a home system.

right now...
i can see your point
once there are some 10GigE home routers it would be nice to have for NAS if nothing else

64GB is Intel limit (for now). Maybe once 16GB DIMMs are out they may validate, tough to say. Usually comes down to whether they can validate at a given speed while meeting TDP targets and ensure stability at stock voltages.

likely this as my 860 has it has a limit of 8GB on the data sheet but it clearly works fine with 16GB

whats the windows limit for Home/Pro?

looked it up 128GB for home and 512GB for Pro
id be the CPU will work with any amount of ram as long as the board sees it
still your looking at 16GB sticks to hit that limit $$$$ right now
32GB would make me happy right now

The limit is in the CPU itself. Even if it weren't the motherboards haven't been validated for larger DIMMs. In other words even if Intel comes out with a CPU that fits this socket tomorrow that can handle 128GB of RAM the X99 Deluxe and other current X99 motherboards will still effectively be limited to 64GB.

That's odd. I never heard of a memory limitarion on the CPU itself.

Considering that 32gb DDR4 dimms are just around the corner and supposedly the limit is 128gb. logic would say that its not supported simply because it doesn't exist (yet). So future support should be possible if only by a firmware update.

Considering that 32gb DDR4 dimms are just around the corner and supposedly the limit is 128gb. logic would say that its not supported simply because it doesn't exist (yet). So future support should be possible if only by a firmware update.

If the increase in density requires elevated VCCSA and related voltages, the TDP Intel advertised will be breached. If ever CPU cannot keep the DRAM stable at stock parameters, it will also not be validated.

That is why chipsets can techinically run the memory but cannot be validated to do so due to power or because plug and play operation cannot be guaranteed.

The CPU is where the memory controller is these days so they'll all have a limit to whatever that controller can support, and that varies by CPU.

Its a limitation with the memory controller specifically. That resides on the CPU now so yes the limitation is with the CPU.

any news on a X99 m-ITX board?

Other than the foot print required being a bit of a problem I know of zero in development. And quite honestly I don't think it would have a huge appeal. Other than the additional cores which are of questionable value in most desktop applications, the added I/O offered by the PCI-Express lanes would go to waste. You'd have a very expensive mITX based platform that really just doesn't offer much real world improvement over a standard Z97 based mITX setup.

I'm not saying it's totally impossible either, but having four memory slots and that large a CPU socket, plus all the power circuitry would be tough. mITX boards generally don't have the electrical hardware for any type of overclocking and ASUS got around that by mounting all of that on a daughter board. This may be possible with an X99 based mITX board but it would still be cramped and I'm not sure any motherboard manufacturer would find the R&D effort worth it in the long run.

I really wanted my next build to be portable as I travel between 2 cities for work so I can game when away from home. I wanted to take advantage of 16 cores for F@H when not in use.
So now my choices are m-ATX X99 or m-ITX z97.

with Asus X99 deluxe on a 5930K running a corsair H80i I can't even achieve 4.2GHz in a stable way.
I hope that it is a bios problem and that they will correct this issues or I will switch to gigabyte and this will be my last asus mobo.

Did you follow this guide https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz2VRRbLPrZnYjlVR2kzYkVvMFE/edit?pli=1 ? it should be piece of cake for 4.2 GHz, I manage to get 4.4 GHz stable easy.
Also did you update bios to 801 or later

Hi, I have the latest 9104 bios.
I followed that guide and it worked better than the asus 5 way optimization.

It seems to be stable now with manual vcore.
I always used the offset one and get that bad stability.

I would like to use the offset.
I would like to get the maximum clock I can get with 1.250V and I don't like to get the CPU to 1.250V all the time.

I'm trying 1.250V at 4.4GHz, no way.
Is there a guide like that for 4.4GHz?

Is 4.4GHz viable with some more tuning?

Last edited:
Just joined here, just wanted to ask a question.

I had bought an Asus X99 Deluxe and 5960X, and a set of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4-2666 memory modules (4x4GB). I had the sticks in the DIMM A1,B1,C1,and D1 slots, and I noticed I was only getting 3 of the modules detected in BIOS. So I began testing the faulty stick. It turns out that one the sticks is bad, but I also noticed that if I had any stick, even a working stick, in the DIMM A2,B2,C2, or D2 slots, it would not show up in BIOS either. So I was wondering if I also had a bad motherboard that had half of its memory slots bad, or if you actually needed to have RAM in all the 1 slots before it would start detecting RAM in the 2 slots.

Just joined here, just wanted to ask a question.

I had bought an Asus X99 Deluxe and 5960X, and a set of G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4-2666 memory modules (4x4GB). I had the sticks in the DIMM A1,B1,C1,and D1 slots, and I noticed I was only getting 3 of the modules detected in BIOS. So I began testing the faulty stick. It turns out that one the sticks is bad, but I also noticed that if I had any stick, even a working stick, in the DIMM A2,B2,C2, or D2 slots, it would not show up in BIOS either. So I was wondering if I also had a bad motherboard that had half of its memory slots bad, or if you actually needed to have RAM in all the 1 slots before it would start detecting RAM in the 2 slots.

The motherboard guide tells you to populate the first slots, then the second. I've had problems with that in the past, where I accidentally put ram in the wrong slots and could not post, so I'm pretty sure it's just the method and not the board, but I don't have a technical source so I could be wrong.

Am considering the X99 Deluxe for the mobo in a new build (my first in 6 years ) and on Newegg, it is only getting 3 eggs (23% 1 egg and 35% 5 eggs) out of 69 reviews. I realize statistically that just 69 reviews is not a fair sampling, yet the data within those 69 reviews is troubling. I have used the Deluxe edition in each prior build without any issues including one going strong for more than 6 years. I really want to like this board and buy it - is it as good as I hope it is or is it a wild card? [ALL reviews have been excellent from trusted sources.]

THOUGHTS/OPINIONS APPRECIATED!!!

Last edited:
Am considering the X99 Deluxe for the mobo in a new build (my first in 6 years ) and on Newegg, it is only getting 3 eggs (23% 1 egg and 35% 5 eggs) out of 69 reviews. I realize statistically that just 69 reviews is not a fair sampling, yet the data within those 69 reviews is troubling. I have used the Deluxe edition in each prior build without any issues including one going strong for more than 6 years. I really want to like this board and buy it - is it as good as I hope it is or is it a wild card? [ALL reviews have been excellent from trusted sources.]

THOUGHTS/OPINIONS APPRECIATED!!!

I always bought Asus Deluxe series for my rig and this is the most problematic one.
There are lot of features that doesn't work as expected, they broken some more features recently with the latest bios.

Some CPU has more problem than others but I not feel to recommend this board to others.

1) Vengeance LPX 2800MHz 1.2V can't boot at 2800MHz 1.2V or 1.35V on strap 100 without getting bd or jdhsakldj errors on warm reboot. No matter the vcore or system agent I use.
2) Cache ratio stop working on 125 strap. When using 125 strap, cache is locked at 3GHz all the time, no matter the cache ratio I select in bios. If this is the feature that OC socket brings I prefer the standard version.
3) CPU not throttle on default settings, mobo shutdown the system when 95c is reached.
4) Asus is known to require more vcore than other motherboards to get it stable (see anandtech reviews x99 roundup), I need 1.3V to get 4.3GHz stable.
5) Sometimes some USB does not work and needs a reboot to get it working
6) EZ Update is an unuseful software, it doesn't work at all. It continue to say me that there is a bios update 1.0.0 while I'm on 1004
7) No way to not use AiSuite. My Corsair SP120 fans are powerful fans and they are very quite if used under 1000rpm, very good when in idle or surfing the internet.
Without AiSuite there is no way to use this fans under 1500RPM because bios don't let me lower the RPM enough. When using Linux I have no AiSuite and my PC is too loud.
8) I don't like the way Asus release BIOS. They release BETA bios on forums and if all is ok, they release that BIOS on the official site. We aren't your QA team. We are the customers who pay for your products.
9) ErP power saving does not work on my PC. I have a Corsair AX860i with all ErP supports but it doesn't work on my PC. Ethernet cards and USB remains active when the PC is off. (I have tried ERP S4+S5 on BIOS and S5 too)
10) A SLI motherboard that don't bundle a two way SLI bridge is ridiculous. X99 Deluxe comes with tri way bridge only, should I pay 5€ more for a two way bridge?
11) X99 Deluxe do not include a beeper, have you ever heard the BEEP that all mobos do after the POST? Should I pay 5€ more for a beeper?
12) I have AiSuite installed, my Nexus 5 isn't charged at 1A but at a standard 500mAh, where is the USB Charger+?
13) Adaptive does not work on 125 strap, why I can set adaptive if I enable 125 strap?
14) Adaptive cache voltage does not work neither on 100 or 125 strap.
15) Latest BIOS broked CPU Phase Optimizations, now my VRM is at 55c in idle too and my system requires 10W more in idle

Thanks for detailed info that is reality - guess I will look to a different X99 motherboard - the end user of an expensive motherboard should NOT expect that many problems.

I am naive, but expect if I install a new GTX 980, SSD's, HDD's, watercooling, 2800 DDR4, and Win 8.1, that all should work at least before any attempts at OC'ing.

Dunno where to go from here for a X99 motherboard with at least mild OC'ing capability and durability AND DEPENDABILITY to go 5-6 years.:confused:

What chipset vendor powers the WiFi? My guess is Broadcom but want to confirm please. Can the WiFi module be replaced? I'm thinking with mpcie cards for WiFi.

Thanks for detailed info that is reality - guess I will look to a different X99 motherboard - the end user of an expensive motherboard should NOT expect that many problems.

I am naive, but expect if I install a new GTX 980, SSD's, HDD's, watercooling, 2800 DDR4, and Win 8.1, that all should work at least before any attempts at OC'ing.

Dunno where to go from here for a X99 motherboard with at least mild OC'ing capability and durability AND DEPENDABILITY to go 5-6 years.:confused:

Hi,
at the end of the fiera, many of the reported problems has been fixed with the latest 1103 firmware.
Now I can use my X99 Deluxe pretty decently, there still a few bugs but mostly when you get on 125 strap.
If you use 100 strap the mobo is quite error free apart for the fact that you cannot go over 2666MHz on RAM.

I always bought Asus Deluxe series for my rig and this is the most problematic one.
There are lot of features that doesn't work as expected, they broken some more features recently with the latest bios.

Some CPU has more problem than others but I not feel to recommend this board to others.

1) Vengeance LPX 2800MHz 1.2V can't boot at 2800MHz 1.2V or 1.35V on strap 100 without getting bd or jdhsakldj errors on warm reboot. No matter the vcore or system agent I use.

Originally on the X99 Deluxe, this was true. I believe this has been resolved with later BIOS revisions. I've got screenshots in my E-Mail somewhere in which Raja or one of the ASUS guys was able to do 2800MHz or better without issue.

2) Cache ratio stop working on 125 strap. When using 125 strap, cache is locked at 3GHz all the time, no matter the cache ratio I select in bios. If this is the feature that OC socket brings I prefer the standard version.

I believe there is a toggle switch to go back to the standard socket mode. Why are you against using a 100MHz strap? I do agree that it should work, but I haven't experienced that on a 100MHz strap setting.

3) CPU not throttle on default settings, mobo shutdown the system when 95c is reached.

This wasn't true for me. I've seen the CPU throttle in several of my tests.

4) Asus is known to require more vcore than other motherboards to get it stable (see anandtech reviews x99 roundup), I need 1.3V to get 4.3GHz stable.

Here is another point where I'm going to have to disagree. While I have seen ASUS require some more vCore than others to achieve the same results, the numbers you give don't match up to what I've seen. I can do 4.3GHz at 1.2v on what is otherwise a mediocre CPU. I also don't need more than 1.3v to achieve 4.5GHz on my Rampage V Extreme. I did on my ES CPU. From my experience this is purely a luck of the draw thing more than anything.

5) Sometimes some USB does not work and needs a reboot to get it working

I didn't experience that with the X99 Deluxe, nor my Rampage V Extreme which I've used every day since around the time I wrote a review on it.

6) EZ Update is an unuseful software, it doesn't work at all. It continue to say me that
there is a bios update 1.0.0 while I'm on 1004

Fair enough. I can't argue with this.

7) No way to not use AiSuite. My Corsair SP120 fans are powerful fans and they are very quite if used under 1000rpm, very good when in idle or surfing the internet.
Without AiSuite there is no way to use this fans under 1500RPM because bios don't let me lower the RPM enough. When using Linux I have no AiSuite and my PC is too loud.

I haven't tried this exact test, but you might be right. The software does in fact allow for more granular tuning than the UEFI BIOS does. ASUS is improving this sort of thing all the time. TUF series motherboards gave you more options than even the ROG boards got. Now the standard series Z170 motherboards have the options of last generation's TUF series motherboards in BIOS.

8) I don't like the way Asus release BIOS. They release BETA bios on forums and if all is ok, they release that BIOS on the official site. We aren't your QA team. We are the customers who pay for your products.

ASUS does a lot of QA with it's BIOS revisions. You don't see a lot of it. Offering beta BIOS on the forums can be construed as another layer of beta testing. That's like bitching about open beta's for games. I think user feedback can be valuable. Much of it is crap so you have to sift through the data and parse out relevant information. So I don't disagree with ASUS' policies on this.

9) ErP power saving does not work on my PC. I have a Corsair AX860i with all ErP supports but it doesn't work on my PC. Ethernet cards and USB remains active when the PC is off. (I have tried ERP S4+S5 on BIOS and S5 too)

Fair enough. I don't ever touch ErP settings.

10) A SLI motherboard that don't bundle a two way SLI bridge is ridiculous. X99 Deluxe
comes with tri way bridge only, should I pay 5€ more for a two way bridge?

Your absolutely right. The Rampage V Extreme had one but the X99 Deluxe didn't. The latter came with seemingly every other damn thing you'd ever want or need, but no standard SLI bridge.

11) X99 Deluxe do not include a beeper, have you ever heard the BEEP that all mobos do after the POST? Should I pay 5€ more for a beeper?

If you are talking about the PC speaker, then yes. Frankly I don't consider this a big deal so long as you have the LED POST code display. You can always hook one up. They are cheap as hell.

12) I have AiSuite installed, my Nexus 5 isn't charged at 1A but at a standard 500mAh,
where is the USB Charger+?

You have to install the feature and then it's part of AI Suite III. It's in the same place (menu bar) that you access things like USB Boost. (I believe.)

13) Adaptive does not work on 125 strap, why I can set adaptive if I enable 125 strap?

I'm assuming you mean 100 and 125MHz, but I am not sure which your referring to. I think you mean it works on the 125MHz strap setting but not 100MHz. If so, that's how these were when they came out originally. 100MHz didn't work right. That was on Intel.

14) Adaptive cache voltage does not work neither on 100 or 125 strap.

I'll have to look at that. In reviews I try to get the highest overclock so I don't worry too much about that.

15) Latest BIOS borked CPU Phase Optimizations, now my VRM is at 55c in idle too and my system requires 10W more in idle

That does suck. I'd be interested in seeing a change log for the BIOS. Unfortunately ASUS' transparency on BIOS updates usually amounts to "improved system stability." And that's all they say.

Originally on the X99 Deluxe, this was true. I believe this has been resolved with later BIOS revisions. I've got screenshots in my E-Mail somewhere in which Raja or one of the ASUS guys was able to do 2800MHz or better without issue.

I confirm that this has been fixed in the latest BIOS, now I can boot at 2800MHz with 100MHz strap but it isn't stable at all, probably a problem on my CPU memory controller.

I believe there is a toggle switch to go back to the standard socket mode. Why are you against using a 100MHz strap? I do agree that it should work, but I haven't experienced that on a 100MHz strap setting.

No, no way to use cpu cache ratio overclock with 100strap on 5930K.

This wasn't true for me. I've seen the CPU throttle in several of my tests.

Probably you tested using another BIOS.

Here is another point where I'm going to have to disagree. While I have seen ASUS require some more vCore than others to achieve the same results, the numbers you give don't match up to what I've seen. I can do 4.3GHz at 1.2v on what is otherwise a mediocre CPU. I also don't need more than 1.3v to achieve 4.5GHz on my Rampage V Extreme. I did on my ES CPU. From my experience this is purely a luck of the draw thing more than anything.

In the first Asus videos, they saied that only 20% of CPUs can do 4.5GHz with 1.3V, you are very lucky or you don't stress the CPU enough to test the stabillity.
In any case Asus is saying other things recently, it seems that CPUs are overclocking better in the latest months. Why? who know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yBUKBIhga0
Minutes 6

I didn't experience that with the X99 Deluxe, nor my Rampage V Extreme which I've used every day since around the time I wrote a review on it.

you are lucky, most X99 deluxe users on Asus forums experience this problem.

Fair enough. I can't argue with this.

Ok

I haven't tried this exact test, but you might be right. The software does in fact allow for more granular tuning than the UEFI BIOS does. ASUS is improving this sort of thing all the time. TUF series motherboards gave you more options than even the ROG boards got. Now the standard series Z170 motherboards have the options of last generation's TUF series motherboards in BIOS.

ASUS does a lot of QA with it's BIOS revisions. You don't see a lot of it. Offering beta BIOS on the forums can be construed as another layer of beta testing. That's like bitching about open beta's for games. I think user feedback can be valuable. Much of it is crap so you have to sift through the data and parse out relevant information. So I don't disagree with ASUS' policies on this.

It's a question of taste, I don't argue with this.

Fair enough. I don't ever touch ErP settings.

You should :)

Your absolutely right. The Rampage V Extreme had one but the X99 Deluxe didn't. The latter came with seemingly every other damn thing you'd ever want or need, but no standard SLI bridge.

Do they need another 5 euros?

If you are talking about the PC speaker, then yes. Frankly I don't consider this a big deal so long as you have the LED POST code display. You can always hook one up. They are cheap as hell.

Do they need another 5 euros?

You have to install the feature and then it's part of AI Suite III. It's in the same place (menu bar) that you access things like USB Boost. (I believe.)

I have done it, it doesn't work. Are you able to see if your phone is charging at 1A or more?
My Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 doesn't charge at more than 500mHa.

I'm assuming you mean 100 and 125MHz, but I am not sure which your referring to. I think you mean it works on the 125MHz strap setting but not 100MHz. If so, that's how these were when they came out originally. 100MHz didn't work right. That was on Intel.

Ok, in this case the BIOS should disable the adaptive voltage when on 125 strap.
No need to be a QA guy to understand it.

I'll have to look at that. In reviews I try to get the highest overclock so I don't worry too much about that.

That does suck. I'd be interested in seeing a change log for the BIOS. Unfortunately ASUS' transparency on BIOS updates usually amounts to "improved system stability." And that's all they say.

I hate Asus changelog, pretty unuseful and the optimized phase problem remains.

I have two CPUs here. One retail CPU that can do 4.5GHz at 1.3v and an engineering sample that can't. I can do 4.5GHz on the engineering sample at 1.35v. Though keeping it cool is a pain in the ass. I also haven't done any 5930K testing. I've only used the 5960X.

Back