ASUS x99 Deluxe (gen I) DEBRICKED

BlackDragon1971

Limp Gawd
Wa - Flipping - Hoo !!!
UnBricked my ASUS x99 Deluxe (Gen I )
This MoBo has always been wonky since I got it mid last year... so there's that. I bought it off eBay from a Chinese ReSeller in a less than ideal state. Missing it's white shrouds and problematic with Q Code D0 CPU Initialization failures, USB dropouts, and Hang on Q Code 33 till multiple Reset button presses. Other than that it work fine ( LOL )....
Last month I had it running fairly stable except the occasional USB Dropout problem, which installing the ASUS USB Boost software seemed to help. Then I messed with it... oh, no...
I decided I would try the ASUS software 5 Way Optimization feature. On ReBoot after the test it bricked my MoBo. That is, I got a constant Q Code D0 where the BIOS would not recognize the CPU on Power On press. I'd been having that problem all along since I built the rig. However now there was no way I could Clear CMOS this time, and have the next Boot see the CPU and Q Code LED not read D0... it just wouldn't do it.
So, I decided it was 1 of either 2 problems. Either the Motherboard / BIOS was done for, or the Intel i7 6800k had fizzled out. ( I had tried to overclock shifty hardware after all, even if through a software solution). One or both components would need replacing. I have a limited budget, so first up I tried replacing the CPU as it was easier to obtain one off eBay or Ali Express. I got an Intel i7 6850k from Hong Kong off eBay. It took a while to arrive.
When I installed it, the motherboard immediately Booted into BIOS. I set Time and Date and went to ReBoot..... I didn't read the fine print on the Boot Halt Screen before I went to the BIOS in the first place. Realizing that on next ReBoot, when I got a D0 Error code again. Took a few tries to figure out.
This particular motherboard with a corrupted BIOS, likes to sit about 24-48 hours with mains power off and battery and CPU uninstalled to reach a Zero State (my term).... then after all capacitance is drained out of the board that way (or it's finished with trying my last nerve)... it'll Initialize the CPU and not give a D0 Code. Last night was a success, WAHOO !
When it initialized the CPU, I was able to get into the BIOS (ver. 4101) and click Advanced > Tools > EZ Flash BIOS and re flashed it to ver. 39xx

This motherboard still hangs on Q Code 33 which is a Storage Controller Initialization failure. I can get past that with pressing the Reset button a few times time it boots normal... ugh. And I still have the occasional USB Dropout in Windows 10 Pro, but less than I did without the ASUS USB Boost software installation.

So...
Next up, will likely be sourcing an ASUS x99 Deluxe II somewhere, and replace this motherboard. I think I've found a source of Overstock / Refurbished ones. Hopefully more reliable than a Chinese ReSeller selling you a motherboard that was likely sent in somewhere in Asia for an RMA... (what I figure this MoBo was when I got it off eBay.... I shoulda known...
This mobo works now... at least as good as before... so there's that !

BlackDragon

and the CPU is nicely upgraded to an i7 6850k from a 6800k... 40 lanes vs. 28 lanes... little faster too.
Good

Just ordered a Refurbished ASUS x99 Deluxe II from Newegg Canada for $540.99 Canadian Loonies. Corn Electronics is the ReSeller and they seem to be full retail boxed units.... likely old End of Life overstock they bought up. Corn Electronics seems to do that with old stock.
https://www.newegg.ca/p/1JW-000C-00757
I feel much safer about my purchase, than finding a "deal" on eBay from a questionable source and product. Was trying to save a few bucks in the first place....
BlackDragon

Well the ASUS x99 Deluxe II I ordered April 30th is Out for Delivery... Corn Electronics takes a long time to Ship items I guess... and I noticed they really jacked the price of the item a few days after I bought it.

Why pay $500 for an old mobo? What am I missing?
+1
You seem to have a lot of drives but still. Taking the CPU you bought into consideration you could have went for something newer (5600X + a decent B550 mobo for example).

BIOS 4101 was a disaster on my X99-A. It kept trying to over-volt my CPU (like back in the early days of these boards). It's listed as a beta for my board, not sure about the Deluxe. I went back to 3701, and everything has been fine ever since.

+1
You seem to have a lot of drives but still. Taking the CPU you bought into consideration you could have went for something newer (5600X + a decent B550 mobo for example).
AMD sucks balls for real software, like from Autodesk.
The Broadwell E CPU is still on the 14nm lithography, so not much has changed for Intel processors.
There is support on the x99 platform for m.2 and (x99 Deluxe II) u.2 SSDs.... so throughput of large volume SSDs read / writes is nice.
Thunderbolt and USB C is supported
Like you said, it supports a sh*t load of drives
up to 128 GB of DDR4 2666 Mhz RAM (which is fast enough... 64 GB currently installed... oh, yes... QUAD Channel memory vs. Dual Channel
This workstation also makes use of the TPM module... nice feature

As a workstation, that sometimes does gaming... this system rocks.
I can fire up my Autodesk programs and my Corel Draw! Graphic suite with good assurance that the workstation is capable of handling what I throw at it. I enjoy using my Huion Kamvas 156HD v2 quite well with this system.
And... when I get bored, I'll go hack some monsters with my Barbarian... or log into Steam
Does this sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Well... that was about the easiest Upgrade I've done.
The New To Me ASUS x99 Deluxe II motherboard is in this system and working stable. No USB dropouts, soft crashes, Q Code D0 Boot failures or Q Code 33 Boot hang...
I was able to Boot into my install of Windows 10 Pro and update the drivers and Reactivate Windows. Set a new BackUp on the same Partition. Found my MP3 Library no problem
I ran out of Internal USB2 Headers... so the Corsair Lighting Node and LED strips are disconnected. I guess daisy chain another NZXT Internal Hub when I get one.
I am happy that I'm stable now.
... oh I also have to order a new TPM module for the x99 Deluxe II board... a 14-1 pin this time... as the old asus x99 Deluxe used a larger 20-1 pin module.

I don't know mate, seems like bloody awful lot of money for 7 year old computational unit. If I were your wife, I wouldn't approve. Would rather eat precooked meals for a few weeks, but get something new or at least recent for that much money.

Sorey mate.
I'm retired and without a wife unit, so these aren't concerns of mine...
The GF however will drop a couple of grand on a sewing machine that does fancy designs... so, she can't really say much either
And... I like the x99 platform. I've been wanting to build one for a few years.... so now, I have another Hot Rodded computer that's a little Retro.... and I'm happy (That's what counts)

Last edited:
AMD sucks balls for real software, like from Autodesk.
The Broadwell E CPU is still on the 14nm lithography, so not much has changed for Intel processors.
There is support on the x99 platform for m.2 and (x99 Deluxe II) u.2 SSDs.... so throughput of large volume SSDs read / writes is nice.
Thunderbolt and USB C is supported
Like you said, it supports a sh*t load of drives
up to 128 GB of DDR4 2666 Mhz RAM (which is fast enough... 64 GB currently installed... oh, yes... QUAD Channel memory vs. Dual Channel
This workstation also makes use of the TPM module... nice feature

As a workstation, that sometimes does gaming... this system rocks.
I can fire up my Autodesk programs and my Corel Draw! Graphic suite with good assurance that the workstation is capable of handling what I throw at it. I enjoy using my Huion Kamvas 156HD v2 quite well with this system.
And... when I get bored, I'll go hack some monsters with my Barbarian... or log into Steam
Does this sound reasonable?

Yep totally understandable. Have a soft spot for my HEDT platform as well, however in my case if i were to be dropping big bucks on it right now i would look for something newer.

That was a consideration in the build. I thought about doing a x299 build, but there wasn't enough new about the features over a x99 platform. And I had most of the parts on hand for what I built. Doing a complete built ordering new parts would be really expensive.

Back