Asus X99 - brand new RVE, disable OC socket?

manbat

n00b
Hi
I'm really worried about my new Asus x99 boards committing sudoku. I've heard it's because the OC socket go retard and sends a crap load of voltage to the cache when left to auto or adaptive voltages.

I picked up two Asus RVE boards including a 5930k for pretty cheap, 1 was sold as defective but the only issue I've found is that it only runs in dual channel mode.

The second RVE is brand new and everything works fine. I picked up a Xeon e5-1660v3 (5960x) from AliExpress and it runs stable at 4.3 at 1.21v.
I've set the cache to 3.9ghz at 1.1v. Memory at 3360mhz cl14 (105bclk) and system agent at 1.0v.
All voltages are manual. LLC at 9 and power phases at Optimized.

Do you recommend anything else as a preventive measure before it goes perl harbor on me?

Last edited:
never had a board go sudoku.

i think the word you were looking for is seppuku. and yes it is something to worry about.. the RVE boards DO kill CPUs. the updated version RVE edition 10 is updated and doesnt kill CPUs inadvertently like the regular older RVE does. take the problem seriously either sell the board or dont use a CPU you dont mind losing. i love ASUS flagship boards (who doesnt) but i wouldnt use one of those under any circumstance

Last edited:
Hi
I'm really worried about my new Asus x99 boards committing sudoku. I've heard it's because the OC socket go retard and sends a crap load of voltage to the cache when left to auto or adaptive voltages.

I picked up two Asus RVE boards including a 5930k for pretty cheap, 1 was sold as defective but the only issue I've found is that it only runs in dual channel mode.

The second RVE is brand new and everything works fine. I picked up a Xeon e5-1660v3 (5960x) from AliExpress and it runs stable at 4.3 at 1.21v.
I've set the cache to 3.9ghz at 1.1v. Memory at 3360mhz cl14 (105bclk) and system agent at 1.0v.
All voltages are manual. LLC at 9 and power phases at Optimized.

Do you recommend anything else as a preventive measure before it goes perl harbor on me?

Running in dual channel means it IS defective. Probably a problem with the pins in the socket.

Running in dual channel means it IS defective. Probably a problem with the pins in the socket.
that or the memory controller is fried. which can easily happen when the mesh/cache gets too much voltage.. and is one of the major problems with the RVE. i dont mean to be a dick.. but it sounds like you got had.. sounds too good to be true usually is and all. :(

never had a board go sudoku.

i think the word you were looking for is seppuku. and yes it is something to worry about.. the RVE boards DO kill CPUs. the updated version RVE edition 10 is updated and doesnt kill CPUs inadvertently like the regular older RVE does. take the problem seriously either sell the board or dont use a CPU you dont mind losing. i love ASUS flagship boards (who doesnt) but i wouldnt use one of those under any circumstance

I ran a RVE without issue for quite some time. I only replaced it with a Rampage Edition 10 because I kept the review sample. I used the RVE in another system for years without issue. Though, it was relegated to stock speeds after that. I've never had the OC socket or any Rampage board kill anything. The only issue I had with any Rampage series board was a Rampage IV Extreme lose its onboard audio at some point.

that or the memory controller is fried. which can easily happen when the mesh/cache gets too much voltage.. and is one of the major problems with the RVE. i dont mean to be a dick.. but it sounds like you got had.. sounds too good to be true usually is and all. :(

The memory controller is on the CPU no? Should be as simple as swapping in a different CPU to test.

The memory controller is on the CPU no? Should be as simple as swapping in a different CPU to test.
It's the board, yes. I did swap the i7 5930k CPU to the good board and here all memory channels works. So I left the i7 5930k in the weird board, overclocked it a little and gave it to my brother. It's most likely a bad pin somewhere, but I've searched and unbent all I could find. But it runs fine now.

Back