asus x79 deluxe NVMe bios update

I know this is an old thread, honestly I do. However, seeing as the OP is still active, and that ASUS just released a BIOS update for the X79-Deluxe, I decided to see what changed in the new BIOS (4805) vs the previous BIOS (0902). Lo and behold, it appears ASUS added NVME support, so while I don't have an NVME drive with which to test it, I thought the OP and any other interested persons might like to know and possibly report back if it works for them.

thanks for the update, LOL i am still on my original BIOS from 2014 or whenever i built this thing.

amazing how stable and trouble free this motherboard has been has been for me

I know this is an old thread, honestly I do. However, seeing as the OP is still active, and that ASUS just released a BIOS update for the X79-Deluxe, I decided to see what changed in the new BIOS (4805) vs the previous BIOS (0902). Lo and behold, it appears ASUS added NVME support, so while I don't have an NVME drive with which to test it, I thought the OP and any other interested persons might like to know and possibly report back if it works for them.

Great catch, was debating whether to update the BIOS or not. Here's a pic from a Japanese site on what 4805 adds:

rzABQvr-420x315.jpg

As you can see, 4805 does indeed add an additional option called "NVME Configuration" under the "Advanced" tab. Mine is completely blank because I don't have any NVMe drives.

I think the million dollar question would be whether this supports booting from NVMe drives, and I'm gonna guess this is actually a no unfortunately due to platform limitations.

Btw, not even R4BE has an NVMe BIOS out (latest version is 0801 and a beta from 1.5 years adding support for 16GB dimms), yet the X79-Deluxe had already had TWO additional updates after 0901 enabled 16GB dimm support. It's amazing how much special treatment the X79-Deluxe is getting; you'd think the ROG boards would get preferential treatment but not this round it seems. No complaints from me though. :D

I think the million dollar question would be whether this supports booting from NVMe drives, and I'm gonna guess this is actually a no unfortunately due to platform limitations.
Hello

The Deluxe has supported booting from NVMe drives for quite a while.

nvme.JPG

Reactions: n=1
like this
Old I know but what PCI to NVME did you guys use. With this one the ASUS X79 DELUXE will not boot. Even empty.

GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe or PCIe AHCI SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 and M.2 SATA SSD to SATA III Adapter Card (PA07)

I ordered the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion in the hopes it will work. I'll post back if it works.

So I have the NVME option in the BIOS but the GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe card would not even get into the BIOS and the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion is ignored. :(

There has to be some other problem. I got my old X58 Sabertooth to boot with NVMe. Has to be a configuration issue. What drive are you using?

I’m trying to use the Samsung 970 EVO 2TB. Yesterday I tried re-flashing the BIOS and still nothing. The NVME page in the BIOS always looks the same and I don’t see anything new in Windows Device Manager.

IMG_20181201_213804.jpg

I think something is wrong with my X79-Deluxe or I’m having some bad luck. In my even older system the GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe card will let it boot but in the X79-Deluxe it just powers right back down after trying to turn it on. The Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card lets the X79-Deluxe power up but the NVME page in the BIOS always looks the same and I don’t see anything new in Windows Device Manager. I tried all the PCIe slots and put the Samsung 970 EVO into different sockets on the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card and the light did come on for each socket but no luck. I know you can only use the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card in a new X299 or something motherboard but I had seen someone use it in a motherboard without PCIe port bifurcation and just use one SSD. I only got the SSD and cards because I had read another X79-Deluxe user say they got an PCIe NVMe card to not only work but with the last 4805 BIOS it was bootable. I’d hate to send it all back.

I did flash the latest BIOS and it cleared all setting but that did not help. I’m not sure what the issue is but:

GLOTRENDS M.2 PCIe NVMe card will not let the X79 DELUXE boot. The LED readout and fans flash on for a second and the it powers off. Don’t know what the X79 DELUXE don’t like about it.

Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion card will let the X79 DELUXE boot but the BIOS NVME settings page still show nothing and Windows shows nothing.

Today I got the RIITOP PCIe NVMe Adapter M.2 NVMe SSD to PCI-e X16 Converter Card and it works! The SSD is now listed on the NVME page but I guess there is nothing else to do there. But… It messes up the other drives and even though I’ve set the same old drive to boot and changed nothing it acts like you’ve changed the legacy or uefi or AHCI mode or something. It tries to start Windows but I get a message that hardware may have changed. The plan was to boot from the other drives for a time if I can get Windows up and running in the NVME drive. Is the new PCIe NVME drive forcing uefi mode? I was able to boot into an old drive with Windows 7 and test the new NVME drive and all looks good. I just need to see how to boot my Windows 10 drive with the NVME installed.

Also got the EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card but not messed with it as the RIITOP card worked.

I've got it working now using the UEFI option for the boot devices, I just have to select the drive to boot from as my boot manager no longer works. They had all been set to legacy.

Is three a way to have the boot menu show each time vs. hitting F8 each time I reboot?

I've got it working now using the UEFI option for the boot devices, I just have to select the drive to boot from as my boot manager no longer works. They had all been set to legacy.

Is three a way to have the boot menu show each time vs. hitting F8 each time I reboot?

Isn't there an option in the boot settings of the bios down at the far right side? Should be able to select a boot order of devices and then select your boot manager or your drive as the primary boot.

Isn't there an option in the boot settings of the bios down at the far right side? Should be able to select a boot order of devices and then select your boot manager or your drive as the primary boot.

The boot manager no longer works with the NVME drive added. I know you can set the drive to boot from but would like to option to pick the drive each time.

Setting up BCD with an NVMe drive is a pita. Been thru that crap. For myself I had to go thru all my drives and delete the boot manager off the ones that had a boot manager partition on them and install a virgin Windows 10 to the blank NVMe drive so the boot manager got set up correctly. Perhaps a bcd editor will help you with less pain that I had:

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD

Back