ASUS X79-Deluxe going bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djlenoir

Limp Gawd
As the title says, I have an ASUS X79-Deluxe motherboard. It has been running a non-overclocked i7 4930k, with 64GB of RAM the entire time I have owned it. Recently it started acting up. Symptoms varied, but it would boot just fine, run perfectly, no matter how long it was up, but the moment I go to reboot it, it would either come up and fail to post because it will lose my SATA attached SSD, or it just would not even power on at all. When it would not power on, I would see the power and reset lights, but none of the buttons did anything. I thought originally that the SSD was the problem. Tried a brand new replacement with a new SATA cable. Booted up, ran for an hour or so, rebooted for an updated and it did not boot. Could not power it back on again. I am sure if I leave it long enough, it will boot up again. Is something overheating and then BIOS safety measures are preventing it from making it past POST? What could be wrong please?

I should add that the very first time it happened that it would not power up, I thought it was the power supply, so I bought a new 850w Corsair power supply. So that rules out power. Recently, someone suggested to try to replace the CMOS battery, so I bought a Energizer lithium replacement battery. When I replaced the power supply, it worked... and then it didn't when I rebooted. Same for the CMOS battery. *sigh*

Last edited:
So I am planning to tear down the system, pull the motherboard and look if I can pull up all the heatsinks and apply new thermal paste. Not sure if they are screwed down or glued down right now. I am wondering if age may have contributed to a breakdown of whatever 'paste' is between the heatsinks and the chips? Any thoughts on if this might be a worthwhile cause?

Most board heatsinks are screwed down on the board. As for paste, most board sinks use either thermal tape or gum like TIMs. Ive seen both types break down when they get old, but hard to say it that would cause your problem. You may want to pull and reseat the cpu just to rule that out.

Most board heatsinks are screwed down on the board. As for paste, most board sinks use either thermal tape or gum like TIMs. Ive seen both types break down when they get old, but hard to say it that would cause your problem. You may want to pull and reseat the cpu just to rule that out.

Thanks Starfalcon, I previously reseated the CPU, applied new thermal compound and reseated all the RAM sticks as well. I am to break it all down, so I may do it again just because.

Check your capacitors too.
An ancient x79 board is prime to start popping.

Updating the thread. I finally found the time to work on this project. I pulled the motherboard out of the case, removed all cards, RAM and the CPU. Inspected the pins in the socket and they all looked perfectly aligned, so no issues there. I pulled off the heatsinks and inspected all capacitors. They are all the solid capacitors, but as far as I can tell there was no visible issues of any kind with any of them. The one thing I noticed was the material that was between the heatsink and the X79 chipset was essentially dried up and useless. I added a liberal amount of Kryonaut and put everything back together. Put everything back together and back into the case. It worked the first boot (which it would many times if not used previously). I let it run about 30 minutes and tried to reboot. It came back up fine. This is positive as it would fail to reboot after it had time to warm up. Shut it down. Still booted back up. So far, it appears to be working fine again. Maybe the X79 chipset was getting too hot due to poor thermal conductivity. I think I have it fixed though (crossing fingers).

I had a few suggestions to reseat the CPU. I noticed that the CPU has a tiny bit of play when sitting in the socket, and the clamping mechanism to hold it down is not really precise. I did my best to make it dead center and clamp it down evenly.

The good news is that it appears to be working like new again, so whatever the issue was, I am just thankful that it is no longer giving me problems. Of course, I now have a 2TB SATA SSD and a 2TB NVME SSD with PCIe adapter that I didn't need.

Thanks for all the help and advice. This thread can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back