Asus X570 QVL memory 2 vs 4 sticks

scoobert

Limp Gawd
Hello all

About to start on a build with an Asus x570 and 3900X and found the memory I want. Its non rgb Gskill 3600 16-16-16-36 and its on the QVL but only for 2 sticks. Should I decide later that I need/want more ram would 2 more sticks of the same memory run in 4 slots if I relaxed the timings. Or is it pretty much a no go and I would need to buy a 32 gig set and remove this memory?

Thanks
Scoob

more than likely will be fine. zen 2 doesn't really suffer from the issues that first gen did with all memory slots populated. worst case you might need to slightly increase the SOC voltage but doubt it.

I have 4x8 G.Skill Neo 3600/C16 on Asus x570 with 3900x and have zero issue running XMP and overclocked to 4450 all cores. It is RGB though but the processor has no issues running 4 dimm slots populated. The NEO's were made for AMD chipset but I don't see their model number on the QVL list in a 4x config either. By most accounts I've read the memory controller is way less problematic on the 3000 series/570 chipset combo so I suspect you will be fine with what ever blows your hair back.

I have 4x8 G.Skill Neo 3600/C16 on Asus x570 with 3900x and have zero issue running XMP and overclocked to 4450 all cores. It is RGB though but the processor has no issues running 4 dimm slots populated. The NEO's were made for AMD chipset but I don't see their model number on the QVL list in a 4x config either. By most accounts I've read the memory controller is way less problematic on the 3000 series/570 chipset combo so I suspect you will be fine with what ever blows your hair back.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Its not so much that I am anti-rgb :) I really like it was just that there were so few choices that did not have the rgb price mark up. :)

Got It. My main point is the 3000 series/x570 platform is way less picky about memory than earlier generations. Kudos to AMD

All that the QVL does is show what they tested with. I can't remember the last time I actually consulted the QVL for anything. If you feel the need to consult the QVL, you have to look beyond specific model numbers to what the actual ICC's are on the memory. As has been well established, 1st gen Ryzen worked MUCH better with Samsung memory in terms of running closer to the actual speeds of the memory where Hynix would limit you to 2400 (or with later bioses 2933Mhz). Zen+ got you closer to 3200Mhz across the board with both Samsung and Hynix. Zen2 will run just about anything up to 3600Mhz and beyond (Micron, Samsung, and Hynix), although the sweet spot with the infinity fabric is 3600Mhz generally speaking.

Back