Asus x570 Hero wifi shows 1.449 vcore in bios in Auto for 5950x...why?

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
I am confused why the Bios shows such a high vCore with everyting Auto after restoring Defaults after installing the CPU. This is the lastest BIOS. In CPU-Z I see it drop more but sometimes I will see a spike to 1.44 again.
Is this a bug or what is going on?
First AMD build since Phenom II so I am a bit lost :D

It shows the same thing with 3900x after 6 bios updates. My 1st changes to Asus bios after updates beside setting Optimized Defaults is to set vcore to 1.35 or 1.325 and set XMP and I've never had an issue. I believe it's a peak vcore setting anyway vs a static vcore. Note what vcore runs at even when leaving it alone with CPUz or similar.

It shows the same thing with 3900x after 6 bios updates. My 1st changes to Asus bios after updates beside setting Optimized Defaults is to set vcore to 1.35 or 1.325 and set XMP and I've never had an issue. I believe it's a peak vcore setting anyway vs a static vcore. Note what vcore runs at even when leaving it alone with CPUz or similar.
oh yeah that too. I noticed my RAM is not setting the correct CAS etc so time to play with the BIOS :)

You see those voltages at idle or all core full load? It's normal for light threaded, apps so it can boost high enough. If you run cinebench R20, you'll probably see voltage around 1.3 -1.35 all core.

You see those voltages at idle or all core full load? It's normal for light threaded, apps so it can boost high enough. If you run cinebench R20, you'll probably see voltage around 1.3 -1.35 all core.
So right now if I run R20 I see it around 1.050 avg and core clock average shows almost 4Ghz so guess. So when at load it does not seem to be boosting a lot but at the same time is using low voltage. I need to check my temps but I still cannot figure out how to see the Temps for each core with HWiNFO64 as I used to do with my 9900k. Heck,. not even sure which specific sensor is giving me more accurate vcore.
Planning to play Ryzen Master too.

Just adjust to what it should be. My board (Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX) for example overvolts RAM by a whole 0.05V.... ie setting 1.45v in BIOS will actually result in a idle 1.5V being read live both in the BIOS and through HWinfo64 meter readings.

The people who make BIOSes never seem to give a shit about Q+A it seems. BIOSes are always a broken, frustrating, incomplete joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
So right now if I run R20 I see it around 1.050 avg and core clock average shows almost 4Ghz so guess. So when at load it does not seem to be boosting a lot but at the same time is using low voltage. I need to check my temps but I still cannot figure out how to see the Temps for each core with HWiNFO64 as I used to do with my 9900k. Heck,. not even sure which specific sensor is giving me more accurate vcore.
Planning to play Ryzen Master too.
is this OS a carryover from your intel system? or a fresh windows install. 20h2.

It's always fun watching Intel people try to apply their OC knowledge to new AMD stuff. I'm not trying to sound demeaning as I was exactly the same way a year ago or so.

First step you should do is figure out what all-core voltage your system actually wants. Run Prim95 smalls at stock clocks/volts. When your system is heat soaked after 30 mins or so check your "CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN)" while the system is under load. I then set my VID to that value in the bios. This will be your voltage baseline to start from. I then set all my cores to +1x multiplier higher than the all-core I achieved in the Prim95 run with the VID set to the voltage I observed previously. I then start moving my multiplier up by 1 for every die until I start generating WHEA errors or crash. If I crash I bring my last one down by .5x and try again. If that fails, drop another .5x on the last core. Now when we find the stability point back we will increase the multiplier on the OTHER dies but not the one we just adjusted. So we continue testing 1x multi increases until the next die starts to shit itself and repeat the process when it crashes. Once you've made it through all the compute units you've managed an all-core overclock without adjusting the base voltage the proc wants at the temps you can manage. At this point you can experiment with undervolting your all-core or expanding your overclock with more voltage if your cooling can handle it. If you are going to be tuning your memory I'd recommend doing that at base clocks and then doing the process above for the most comprehensive overclock.

Also, if you just want to get lazy, try this app. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clocktuner-for-ryzen-download.html I was corrected below, this does not work with Zen3. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
It's always fun watching Intel people try to apply their OC knowledge to new AMD stuff. I'm not trying to sound demeaning as I was exactly the same way a year ago or so.

First step you should do is figure out what all-core voltage your system actually wants. Run Prim95 smalls at stock clocks/volts. When your system is heat soaked after 30 mins or so check your "CPU Core Voltage (SVI2 TFN)" while the system is under load. I then set my VID to that value in the bios. This will be your voltage baseline to start from. I then set all my cores to +1x multiplier higher than the all-core I achieved in the Prim95 run with the VID set to the voltage I observed previously. I then start moving my multiplier up by 1 for every die until I start generating WHEA errors or crash. If I crash I bring my last one down by .5x and try again. If that fails, drop another .5x on the last core. Now when we find the stability point back we will increase the multiplier on the OTHER dies but not the one we just adjusted. So we continue testing 1x multi increases until the next die starts to shit itself and repeat the process when it crashes. Once you've made it through all the compute units you've managed an all-core overclock without adjusting the base voltage the proc wants at the temps you can manage. At this point you can experiment with undervolting your all-core or expanding your overclock with more voltage if your cooling can handle it. If you are going to be tuning your memory I'd recommend doing that at base clocks and then doing the process above for the most comprehensive overclock.

Also, if you just want to get lazy, try this app. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clocktuner-for-ryzen-download.html
Great post, thank you!

I am confused why the Bios shows such a high vCore with everyting Auto after restoring Defaults after installing the CPU. This is the lastest BIOS. In CPU-Z I see it drop more but sometimes I will see a spike to 1.44 again.
Is this a bug or what is going on?
First AMD build since Phenom II so I am a bit lost :D

Everything you thought you knew about how voltage is ued, throw it out right now. Then google voltage on Zen processors. That will save you a crap ton of time worrying.

Back