Phelptwan

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright, have a build for a friend running with the following;

Asus x570 Formula
AMD 3600x (place holder for 3950x)
32gb RAM (DDR 3733)
2x 2080ti's with NVLINK
2x M.2 SSD's

My friend wants to make all the USB ports on the case functional, but there is a lack of headers on board, so he purchased a PCIe x4 card with USB 3.1 headers on it. When the x4 card is plugged in, it disables the top GPU.

From reading, it sounds like we should be able to use the bottom x4 pcie slot. Any ideas?

it shouldn't disable anything since the bottom slot is on the chipset.. only thing would be that he's exceeding the device limit of the bios and it's loading the gpu last(not even sure if this is still a thing with UEFI bios so some one correct me if i'm wrong). otherwise the usb cards probably bad.

it shouldn't disable anything since the bottom slot is on the chipset.. only thing would be that he's exceeding the device limit of the bios and it's loading the gpu last(not even sure if this is still a thing with UEFI bios so some one correct me if i'm wrong). otherwise the usb cards probably bad.

Yeah, you should be able to use the bottom slot for the USB card without issue. The OROM limits are still a thing, but without 3rd party drive controllers for SATA being a thing anymore, it shouldn't be an issue.

So did a bit more testing with this today, and when the card is plugged in, the top GPU no longer works correctly. The GPU in the second slot still works. I trie playing around with PCIe gen settings but that didn't get me anywhere. What else could I try to get things working?

Back