Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero won't boot

I have this weird issue where if I put my computer to sleep, sometimes it’ll sleep and wake up just fine; however, sometimes, it’ll appear to crash? and power off/not be able to POST. The same thing happens when I shutdown the computer: Sometimes, it’ll POST when the power button is pressed; other times, it just won’t even turn on. I've tried clearing the CMOS, but it still wouldn’t POST. The only solution I’ve found has been to flip the PSU power switch off for about 10 seconds, then flip it back on. Only then, it’ll POST 100% of the time.

As of now, I’m running the latest BIOS revision with completely stock settings. Aside from the USB connectivity issue that was widely reported by many, I haven't had any issues with the board. So I thought it was attributed to the BIOS update when I moved to 3601 from 3401, but when I reverted to a BIOS revision that was installed when I originally built my computer (3003), I still have the same sleep/shutdown issue.

I’m thinking this is a failing motherboard? But, I’m not 100% sure. Has anyone had any similar issues? Again, this only happens when the computer is put to sleep/shutdown. I’ve haven’t had any BSoDs nor lock ups when running in any OS (dual boot Linux Mint 20.1 and Windows 10) since I built this computer in late Decemeber 2020, yet this just started happening in the past 2 weeks.

Full computer specs here.

Video here.

When you say that sometimes it won't even turn on, do you mean that you hit the power button and literally nothing happens, or that the fans spin, but you don't get anything on the screen?

Also, when you say it's completely stock, does that include running the memory at 2133, or whatever the default non-XMP setting is?

When you say that sometimes it won't even turn on, do you mean that you hit the power button and literally nothing happens, or that the fans spin, but you don't get anything on the screen?

Also, when you say it's completely stock, does that include running the memory at 2133, or whatever the default non-XMP setting is?

1.) Similar as in my video, nothing happens. No POST nor fan spin. This happens randomly (70% fail/30% success) whether it was put into sleep state or shutdown from an OS.

2.) Completely stock BIOS settings (running at 2133mhz).

Try fiddling with the power supply settings / ERP, S4+S5 mode or something.

**This is a total guess

when you shut down, any lights/fans/etc still on, or does it fully power off?

theres that huge thread about gigabyte boards not booting and the cmos battery being an issue. maybe start there, with a new one and a good cmos clearing. then maybe try the psu settings suggested above and maybe a test psu.

A little bit of an update:

1.) Checked voltages in BIOS (appear to be rock solid): image

2.) Enabled ErP S4+S5, tried to sleep, but it wouldn't boot: image

3.) Disassembled PC to test PSU with provided jumper and the PSU fan spins: video

4.) Reassembled PC, booted into Linux, put it to sleep and... now it decides to work: image

I noticed that my case PSU dust cover was a bit dusty, so maybe some dust was causing the issue? I've been able to sleep/shutdown and power on without issues so far. Going to continue to test throughout the week to make sure this isn't just some fluke.

Update (2 minutes later): Annnddd, I spoke too soon. Tried to put it into sleep and it wouldn't boot again.

I bought another motherboard, which is coming this Thursday, so I'll swap out my current motherboard with the new one and see if the issue persists.

Last edited:
when you shut down, any lights/fans/etc still on, or does it fully power off?
My RAM LED lights should pulse while sleeping, instead, everything is off except for the "Start" button on the motherboard which always stays on (tried pushing it, does nothing).
theres that huge thread about gigabyte boards not booting and the cmos battery being an issue. maybe start there, with a new one and a good cmos clearing. then maybe try the psu settings suggested above and maybe a test psu.
Switched out the CMOS battery with a new CR 2032. Will update soon whether or not that fixes the issue.

Update: Switching the CMOS battery didn't fix the issue. Same problem as before.

Last edited:
Swapped out the motherboard for a new one and it appears the issue is gone. Sleep/wake and shutdown/boot up works as expected.

Swapped out the motherboard for a new one and it appears the issue is gone. Sleep/wake and shutdown/boot up works as expected.
Joy? Terrified that's what I'm going to have to do. Mine is a bit pricey to pick up another or wait on an RMA.

Joy? Terrified that's what I'm going to have to do. Mine is a bit pricey to pick up another or wait on an RMA.
So far new board has been working great. Sucks that I had to pay $450, but it's probably better than not having a PC for Web Dev work. On that note, I'm going to RMA my board tomorrow (Friday). I'll update how long it takes -- I've heard it can take up to a month or more to get it back from them (and that's IF they actually fix it)!

So far new board has been working great. Sucks that I had to pay $450, but it's probably better than not having a PC for Web Dev work. On that note, I'm going to RMA my board tomorrow (Friday). I'll update how long it takes -- I've heard it can take up to a month or more to get it back from them (and that's IF they actually fix it)!
My last RMA with asus took two weeks, but that was a totally hooked video card. Mine is a zenith II extreme alpha- I’d be out $900 waiting on the RMA.

I have this weird issue where if I put my computer to sleep, sometimes it’ll sleep and wake up just fine; however, sometimes, it’ll appear to crash? and power off/not be able to POST. The same thing happens when I shutdown the computer: Sometimes, it’ll POST when the power button is pressed; other times, it just won’t even turn on. I've tried clearing the CMOS, but it still wouldn’t POST. The only solution I’ve found has been to flip the PSU power switch off for about 10 seconds, then flip it back on. Only then, it’ll POST 100% of the time.

As of now, I’m running the latest BIOS revision with completely stock settings. Aside from the USB connectivity issue that was widely reported by many, I haven't had any issues with the board. So I thought it was attributed to the BIOS update when I moved to 3601 from 3401, but when I reverted to a BIOS revision that was installed when I originally built my computer (3003), I still have the same sleep/shutdown issue.

I’m thinking this is a failing motherboard? But, I’m not 100% sure. Has anyone had any similar issues? Again, this only happens when the computer is put to sleep/shutdown. I’ve haven’t had any BSoDs nor lock ups when running in any OS (dual boot Linux Mint 20.1 and Windows 10) since I built this computer in late Decemeber 2020, yet this just started happening in the past 2 weeks.

Full computer specs here.

Video here.
This! So I thought I was the only one! Same issue. It happens very infrequently to mine, once every twenty boots or so.
I was thinking BIOS issue or maybe the PS, but since I now see the same thing happening to someone elses build then I believe its the board. Maybe a faulty cap or VRM, or BIOS microcode issue.
I've just flashed to the most recent BIOS and waiting to see if the issue recurs.
Please keep us updated if you discover anything splitchunks

This! So I thought I was the only one! Same issue. It happens very infrequently to mine, once every twenty boots or so.
I was thinking BIOS issue or maybe the PS, but since I now see the same thing happening to someone elses build then I believe its the board. Maybe a faulty cap or VRM, or BIOS microcode issue.
I've just flashed to the most recent BIOS and waiting to see if the issue recurs.
Please keep us updated if you discover anything splitchunks
Read the thread and you will see his conclusion.

Read the thread and you will see his conclusion.
Yes, hopefully splitchunks will let us know if the issue recurs with his new board.
That would mean the problem wasn’t the board, but he hasn’t posted in a week, so it seems likely it was the board.
He has a different PS than mine, so its not that.
If it happens again after this BIOS update then I'll also swap out the board.
Its still possible its the BIOS thats at fault, under some scenario.
Except, if it is the BIOS then I'd expect a lot more people would have this issue.

Yes, hopefully splitchunks will let us know if the issue recurs with his new board.
That would mean the problem wasn’t the board, but he hasn’t posted in a week, so it seems likely it was the board.
He has a different PS than mine, so its not that.
If it happens again after this BIOS update then I'll also swap out the board.
Its still possible its the BIOS thats at fault, under some scenario.
Except, if it is the BIOS then I'd expect a lot more people would have this issue.
The MB hardware is 100% at fault and it's not a BIOS issue. I reverted the BIOS to the same version as when I originally purchased the MB in December 2020 and still had the sleep/wake issue; since I've swapped it out for the Dark Hero, I haven't had any sleep/wake issues so far. I'm still waiting for the RMA to be delivered: Shipped out July 9th, they signed for it/received the 12th, it was "fixed" on the 17th -- pretty sure they're just sending me a different board because in the online RMA memo it mentions the original S/N with a different S/N, they shipped out the replacement on the 19th and it should be delivered on the 26th. All my incoming packages are being delayed to due to the outbreak of wildfires (west coast in the US).

On that note, I'm going to need some convincing to swap out my current (working) motherboard. Unfortunately, it's not very simple because I'm using an AIO that has super janky mounting hardware (the back plate bracket requires that I hold it against the MB while I simultaneously screw in the AIO; removing the AIO, means the back plate would just fall into the back side of case -- very dumb and was kind of a PITA to install). I don't have another Ryzen 5000 CPU nor another CPU cooler to do a test bench, so testing this replacement with my current setup would be very, very, very time consuming.

Soooo... if someone wants to test it, I'd be willing to ship it out at my expense to be tested (provided I get some collateral that the MB will be shipped back to me). Otherwise, depending on the condition, I'll either hold on to it as a back up (just in case my current MB craps out), or I'll sell it at a loss and be forthright that it's a replacement unit and its working condition is unknown.

Last edited:
On that note, I'm going to need some convincing to swap out my current (working) motherboard. Unfortunately, it's not very simple because I'm using an AIO that has super janky mounting hardware (the back plate bracket requires that I hold it against the MB while I simultaneously screw in the AIO; removing the AIO, means the back plate would just fall into the back side of case -- very dumb and was kind of a PITA to install). I don't have another Ryzen 5000 CPU nor another CPU cooler to do a test bench, so testing this replacement with my current setup would be very, very, very time consuming.

Soooo... if someone wants to test it, I'd be willing to ship it out at my expense to be tested (provided I get some collateral that the MB will be shipped back to me). Otherwise, depending on the condition, I'll either hold on to it as a back up (just in case my current MB craps out), or I'll sell it at a loss and be forthright that it's a replacement unit and its working condition is unknown.

When I find that the mounting hardware doesn't have a mechanism to retain it to the board, I just use those double sided sticky pads or double sided tape for permanent installs. For temporary holding, masking tape works fine.

I'd offer to test the board for you, but I don't have any spare AM4 CPUs that are compatible with the X570 chipset.

Perhaps some good news: Looks like they may have sent me a brand new motherboard (still has those sticky plastic-like covers on the MB heat sink and I/O shield).

I did get a printed out memo that, under "Problem/Symptom," states:
"System Unstable (hang)"

Hopefully, this will help others in the future if they happen to run into a similar situation where their system won't wake from sleep/shutdown running stock BIOS settings.

Attachments

• mbTop.jpg
    mbTop.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • mbIOShield.jpg
    mbIOShield.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Perhaps some good news: Looks like they may have sent me a brand new motherboard (still has those sticky plastic-like covers on the MB heat sink and I/O shield):
Motherboard Top
Motherboard I/O Shield

I did get a printed out memo that, under "Problem/Symptom," states:
"System Unstable (hang)"

Hopefully, this will help others in the future if they happen to run into a similar situation where their system won't wake from sleep/shutdown running stock BIOS settings.
glad you got it sorted but your pics dont work. you can just drag and drop them into the reply window, no need for imgur.

Updated post with attached pictures.
Good news that the issue appears to have gone away with your new board!
My issue has not recurred over the past couple of weeks, despite many boot/shutdown/sleep cycles in that time (as well as long gaming sessions). I even did about 50 cycles one morning trying to force it to recur.
Theres no reason it should have self-corrected if its a hardware fault, so now I'm just watching and waiting for it to happen again.
If it doesn’t then I'm not sure what I'll do! but if it does I will immediately order a replacement.
One reason it might not recur is if its a hairline fracture in a tracing somewhere or otherwise just faulty silicon somewhere.
It may be so sensitive/borderline that a slight movement of the board sets it off or corrects it.

The other possibility is a PSU fault. Its possible, but I just doubt it. Your setup was nearly the same as mine except for a different PS and your experience was exactly the same, which makes me think its a bad batch of the board, but I cant be sure of that, of course.

For those of you thinking "why not just live with it if its so rare", the risk is that it escalates suddenly and I suffer catastrophic data loss on any of my M.2 nvme sticks.

Just to close this off, my board was definitely faulty.
Swapped it out for the Dark Hero and have had no issues at all.

I had a x570 Dark Hero that worked fine for about a week then it started to trip the power supply off immediately on boot. Turned out the Dark Hero failed. Replaced it with a X570 Tomahawk that workes perfectly and returned the Dark Hero for refund. Hate to say it but with other people reporting issues with the Dark Hero I’ve got a feeling that these Asus boards just aren’t reliable. Probably shoddy manufacturing issues. Never had a problem with MSI boards so in the future I don’t think I’ll be going with any Asus boards unless their quality improves drastically.

I've been running this motherboard with no niggles since 7/3/21... I had problems with Asus X58 and 79 so I tried Gigabyte X99 but that had worse problems so back to Asus.

Back