Asus X370-F Strix NIC keeps dropping out?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Just set up a system with this board and an 1800X, 16GB of RAM all running at stock. Having a problem in both Windows and Linux where the network adapter drops out constantly - event viewer shows this:

The network interface "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Bad board? I can't really think of anything else, its also been having little lockups and freezes occasionally.

Just set up a system with this board and an 1800X, 16GB of RAM all running at stock. Having a problem in both Windows and Linux where the network adapter drops out constantly - event viewer shows this:

The network interface "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Bad board? I can't really think of anything else, its also been having little lockups and freezes occasionally.

Before you say bad board; do you have a PCI-E ethernet card to test with? Different ethernet cable maybe?

Before you say bad board; do you have a PCI-E ethernet card to test with? Different ethernet cable maybe?

It works fine with my USB to Ethernet adapter but that's only 10MB/s. Its not the cable or the router, I tried going direct to the modem and other ports on the router. You can actually see the routers port light go off when it happens. Driver doesn't make a difference either, the Asus one and Windows generic both do it, and so does my Mint 18.3 install.

just a shot in the dark but check memory stability.. i had this exact issue(NIC dropping and random freezing) with my ryzen setup when i was trying to run 3066 on my ram(hynix chips). dropped it down to 2933 and everything ran perfectly fine. if messing with ram speed doesn't work then yeah it might be a bad board.

just a shot in the dark but check memory stability.. i had this exact issue(NIC dropping and random freezing) with my ryzen setup when i was trying to run 3066 on my ram(hynix chips). dropped it down to 2933 and everything ran perfectly fine. if messing with ram speed doesn't work then yeah it might be a bad board.

Yeah, its running at 2133 now, and it passed 3 hours of GSAT and 16 instances of HCI with 90% memory as well as memtest 86+. That was my first thought because in the past unstable network was always a sign of bad overclock, but I think the chip is bad. I dug out a dual band USB wifi card that can get the full 60/10 connection I have and disabled the NIC in the BIOS, system runs great now without all of the weird hiccups. It was freezing up for a few seconds and failing to load half of the pages I wanted to go to now its smooth sailing.

Just as an update, I think the CPU socket might be bad on the board causing a number of problems. I got the chip and RAM onto a cheap B350 board I got for testing and they run great, but the Asus board won't even hold the chip in with the lever down, its super loose. The SSD I had on it was all corrupted as well, I had to secure erase it to get windows to re-install.

Back