ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II ThunderboltEX 3 question

tophlor

n00b
I just purchased The ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 PCI card and, to be honest, the directions SUCK. This card is recommended by the manufacturer but they don't provide detailed install directions. I am looking forward to 40 GB transfer speeds and have also purchased a CalDigit dock to augment the performance of the USB C.

Can anyone tell me where the TB Header is on the MOBO? I have looked at the board until I am blue.

Afaik there is no header on the mobo, all thunderbolt stuff is on the back IO, not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

On the web page that advertises the MOBO, the ThunderboltEX # is recommended to anyone who wants lightning fast transfer rates. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-DELUXE-II/
Go 3/4 of the way down the page:
Thunderbolt™ 3 port
Experience blistering Thunderbolt 3 speeds and any-way-up connectivity
High-speed external storage is required for many workstations, so Prime X299-Deluxe II integrates Thunderbolt 3 with up to 40Gbps of aggregate interface bandwidth. The rear I/O panel has dual Thunderbolt 3 Type-C ports that support data in addition to DisplayPort 1.4 output. Up to six devices can be daisy-chained from one Thunderbolt 3 port, with the provision of up to 15W of power for fast-charging devices connected in this way.

That same website also lists the TB3 ports as being built into the motherboard's back I/O already, no need for another card.
upload_2020-1-6_19-0-52.png

ASUS webmasters need to check their spelling
On a side note, TB3 doesn't have 40Gbps data transfer rates, only about 22Gbps (~2.8GBps). The rest is allocated to Displayport video streams, even if there is no Displayport video present.

you missed the point that the add in car utilizez some other PCI lanes and display port connectivity to provide 40GBS throughput.

What I cannot find is where to connect the TB Header. Is it to the Node?

What I cannot find is where to connect the TB Header. Is it to the Node?
There is no thunderbolt header, your board has it built in like we said. You can't use the card you bought, use the thunderbolt ports on the IO shield.

Back