ASUS, why would you do this to yourself?!

Of course I find this thread, after ditching MSI to go ASUS (K9N Platinum to a M4A78 Pro)

I really miss abit. ...I never had to RMA anything to abit, ever. Seriously, what the hell happened to quality like that?

QFT. I have had to RMA through ABIT, but it was for my boss' kid that fried his system by not putting the mobo standoffs on the backplate. Abit still replaced his board, they just wanted us to pay an extra $20 fee.

I'm still running an Abit MAX mobo every day for 2+ years :D

I'll go EVGA next time though.

People please by Asrock stuff. they are shinning in the market. their nex X58 extreme board is as good as Asus rampage II extreme and less than half price. I never need a rma or anything, i cant say anything about asrock customer service. But if they are good at customer service in 2 years they will be the one of the best manufacturer.

Considering Asrock = Asus, I don't think that's a good recommendation in this thread :p

People please by Asrock stuff. they are shinning in the market. their nex X58 extreme board is as good as Asus rampage II extreme and less than half price. I never need a rma or anything, i cant say anything about asrock customer service. But if they are good at customer service in 2 years they will be the one of the best manufacturer.
Shill much?

It is my opinion. If we dont give a chance to companies like asrock, there will be no competition in the market. these days Evga and Asus has the most of the demand.

my next motherboard will be asrock whatever the platform it is. years ago before asus was this popular i was always using asus products but then they had better customer service.

I recently RMA them a 680i motherboard. they said there is bent pins it is out of warranty. But it was working like that with few bent pins. the problem was something else. but they ignored me and ask $90 to fix it. i told them it is not the problem i was using it like that. i was waiting an answer from them and 2 days later i had the mobo on my door.

they are gonna be worse if we dont stop worship them.
Evga is same too. i had a video card from my cousin. i needed new screws. I emailed them that i need new screws for the heat sink and i am ready to pay for shipping cost. They said they cant do that but i can find it at a hardware store. then i email XFX and i need a heatsink for my card and they didnt even ask for shipping cost. they send it right out. we need to stop showing so much interest to those companies.

It is my opinion. If we dont give a chance to companies like asrock, there will be no competition in the market. these days Evga and Asus has the most of the demand.

my next motherboard will be asrock whatever the platform it is. years ago before asus was this popular i was always using asus products but then they had better customer service.

I recently RMA them a 680i motherboard. they said there is bent pins it is out of warranty. But it was working like that with few bent pins. the problem was something else. but they ignored me and ask $90 to fix it. i told them it is not the problem i was using it like that. i was waiting an answer from them and 2 days later i had the mobo on my door.

they are gonna be worse if we dont stop worship them.
Evga is same too. i had a video card from my cousin. i needed new screws. I emailed them that i need new screws for the heat sink and i am ready to pay for shipping cost. They said they cant do that but i can find it at a hardware store. then i email XFX and i need a heatsink for my card and they didnt even ask for shipping cost. they send it right out. we need to stop showing so much interest to those companies.

look above your wall of asrock loving text, and re read the part that asrock = OEM Asus

and quite frankly i dont care whos name is on the board,
Warranty service >features >price>name on pcb

Do you really need someone to tell you that mixing water cooling with electronics isn't a good thing?

I also bought Asus until a frustrating repeat RMA issue with them....not sure if I will ever go back. Also, it doesn't help that they have probably the worst website among mobo manufacturers especially when looking for drivers, software, etc.

You know. I have been following this. Kyle says he is alerting Asus management. I see no response here.

Has there been a resolution?

You know. I have been following this. Kyle says he is alerting Asus management. I see no response here.

Has there been a resolution?

ASUS kidnaps people that go public with their customer service problems. The OP has not responded because ASUS is currently in the process of ramming their lovely Rampage Extreme motherboard NB heatsinks up his exit ramp while making him drink a potent combination of thermal paste and yak piss. ASUS is coming for you next! AHHHHH

ASUS kidnaps people that go public with their customer service problems. The OP has not responded because ASUS is currently in the process of ramming their lovely Rampage Extreme motherboard NB heatsinks up his exit ramp while making him drink a potent combination of thermal paste and yak piss. ASUS is coming for you next! AHHHHH

/ROFL...
Thanks for the laugh this early in the morning! (I'm still not awake... but hey, at least my Friday of monotony has started off better than average).

I also had an Asus board. A8N-SLI Deluxe... What a board btw! This was the first revision that had a faulty north-bridge fan. Called ASUS after owning it for just over 3 years and they sent out a fan... no charge, no hassle.
I have also had to RMA boards through ASUS and I've got to say it's typically painful. Perhaps this is a bigger issue with the ASUS RMA dept? I'm just trying to give the benefit of the doubt here.

You don't become well-known and respected in the enthusiast community for being horrible in all aspects like some here have suggested. ASUS has been doing enthusiast boards for longer than almost any mobo company.
OP, your issue is unacceptable... If this happened to me, I'd probably tweak out and swear off any of their products.
ASUS management should really respond here however...

Man this is a damned shame to see. I have bought Asus boards for years. If they're going to let quality control drop to this level for their repairs it will be time to look to another manufacturer.

Here's the update.
ASUS issued me a new XSHIP RMA number. They also issued me a prepaid airbill for sending them both my original NSE that has the bad bios flash, and the unacceptable replacement back to them.

I shipped the boards out Wednesday first thing in the morning, and their policy states that I need to let them know when the boards were shipped and showing 'in transit.' So I sent that confirmation to the CSR lead that had taken over the case and she replied that they would get the unit shipped out.

It's now Friday and I have sent another email to their support group asking for a tracking number, as the board should have gone out yesterday at the latest. So far I have received NO response.

EDIT:
Just got a reply with a tracking number.
The board is *already* at my office. I will let you all know how it looks when I pick it up on Monday.

Last edited:
This kind of behaviour is unreasonable and is not satisfactory for a home user let alone a business user.
Given the exposure of this thread and that Asus management are aware of it, if this is the best they can do, I'm taking that as a strong warning.
Thanks for your past products and support Asus, but this is just not good enough.
Trust takes a long time to earn once it is lost, its a shame you dropped the ball.

ah noticed your edit, there is hope then :)

For 10 years ive never had an issue with Asus - but after reading this thread my opinion has changed.

For 10 years ive never had an issue with Asus - but after reading this thread my opinion has changed.

If you're going to change your opinion because of this one post, be prepared to buy nothing but Logitech products! :D

It doesn't matter what company it is, sometimes they screw the pooch and at least 1/2 the time the complainant omits pertainent information or is in the wrong.

It's pretty obvious in this case that Asus "blew it" but rarely to you see an "Atta Boy" when the company lives up to expecations.

There's a lot of hate being targeted straight at ASUS in this thread but I've had similar experiences with practically every big motherboard maker. Having RMA'd many boards to ASUS, Abit (when they were still around), MSI, DFI and even ASRock I must say that none of these companies has perfect RMA service but DFI is definitely a cut above the rest which all fall short in one way or another. ASUS and MSI are notorious for sending out shoddy used boards as replacements but I figured most hardware lovers were aware of this by now, it's funny to me to see so many people seeming shocked and upset by this - like it or not that's just how these companies operate. They have no reason to send a brand new board and tap into their inventory when they most likely have tons of working used boards that were RMA'd due to user error or a small, easily repairable problem.

At any rate, it's at least comforting to see that ASUS took steps to make this right and got the OP a replacement board quickly. Let's just hope it doesn't look like the first one! :rolleyes:

Picked up the board today.
First thing I noticed right off the bat is the board was packed SIGNIFICANTLY more thoughtfully. The main difference is the board was also in a bubblewrap bag, as well as being in a normal anti-static bag.

The board itself looks brand new. It even has the plugs still inserted into the fusion block.

I'd also like to note that this is a CLEAN board. It looks just like the one that came in my original retail box. There are no signs of flux or any other substance on the board itself. I thought the notion of a $300+ board being no-clean was kind of silly, and this confirms it.

While this can be classified as nothing other than a very bad experience(especially since it happened twice in a row - within a couple of months), I have to say that Teresa at ASUS took very good care of me once the issue was brought to her attention. If all of the CSR's at ASUS were as sharp and cared about their jobs like Teresa, I'm confident that none of this would have happened in the first place.

I have good success with ASUS RMA. Both times I received brand new boards as replacements.

well at least it has a happy ending attached to it. It's too bad that it took that long, though. I very well may have given in and bought another manufacturer's motherboard by then.

well at least it has a happy ending attached to it. It's too bad that it took that long, though. I very well may have given in and bought another manufacturer's motherboard by then.

To ASUS's credit, they did ship the board on Wednesday. They just did not tell me. Had I known the board was going to arrive on Friday, I would have been in the office. With that said they operated as quickly as time allowed under the circumstances. They shipped day of, every time.

My main point of issue is that they originally sent me a flat out _visibly broken_ board as a replacement - TWICE(Once with my P5N-T and once now with the NSE). None of this would have been an issue at all if Quality Assurance had been doing their jobs. The support reps were generally helpful, except for Daniel Ramirez who essentially told me 'not my problem, talk to someone else' in an email without telling me who 'someone else' was.

As for buying other manufacturer's boards... I will definitely take others more strongly into consideration next time I buy. Generally I stuck with ASUS because their layouts tend to be far superior to that of the new kids on the block, especially with regards to watercooling component clearance. Personally I found *every* 790i and 780i board exceptionally terrible when it came to layout, with the exception of ASUS where nearly every feature I was looking for was present.

all of this could have been avoided if you had just looked at the specs more closely when you bought it. you would have noticed that the board you were buying, was, in fact, an asus!!!

105843672_1dfe6cbaac.jpg

Amongst stories like this are also the stories like mine, where 12 ASUS boards later I still haven't had a bad one. And the ones that are still commissioned... still working. Several years later. I actually have their first hyperthreading board with a 1.8GhZ Celery in it, still working. It's what, like... 6-7 years old? And it's been an overclocking board since day 1.

I currently run their M4A79T Deluxe with my Phenom II X3 720... overclocks rock-solid as far as the processor will go on air without even flinching.

So yes, you've had really bad luck with them and it sucks, but they're still top-notch overall. I mean really, all manufacturers have to be because geeks are smart people. Smart people won't buy bad products from a bad manufacturer. So if ASUS is still around, they're doing something right.

I've owned 4 Asus motherboards, luckily I never had a problem. If I was in the situation as the OP I would go down to their headquarters, which is about a 20min drive and go banging on their door :)

Finally got around to putting the system back together last night.

Board works like new.
Which for all intents and purposes is damn nice.
Got my system running at the settings in my sig with the exact same BIOS settings as the original board.

I always find it humorous how nicely this stuff gets fixed once Kyle steps in.

Thanks for helping out another one of us Kyle =]

GigaByte For The Win

^^ this, but I do love me some sexy ass looking ASUS boards, I pleasure myself when I'm alone thinking of the Maximus II Formula P45, okay. maybe not, but that is one sexay looking board, me wants just for cosmetic reasons...

I have RMA'd two motherboards to Asus, including a P5Q-E that had a chip explode (next to the reset button on the board). Both times I made the RMA request on their website, shipped the board to them, had absolutely zero contact with them after that (the RMA status checker on their site isn't all that informative either), then had a new board with a full set of accessories show up about a week later.

Can't complain.

Last edited:
I've owned one ASUS mobo and one DFI. Both worked fine. So I guess it's luck of the draw sometimes. If ASUS did this regularly, I'd have to reconsider whether I'd rather go with a brand like Gigabyte for instance. Although the reported gigabyte slow post times for their x58 boards worries me.

Last time I had to deal with ASUS RMA, they took 5 weeks to get me a working board. This type of time is unacceptable for me, so I don't buy from them anymore.

Doesn't seem like Asus sends new boards anymore either. I just RMA'ed a few month old P6T and they sent me just a board.

It was fast though, got my board in a week.

Been there and done that with ASUS...

Went through like 5 Striker Extremes, got two Striker II Formulas which were worse than the Striker Extremes and just said screw it and sold whatever came back on ebay...

I went through supervisors and managers and a million reps and only a few were decent.

The rest were a-holes completely.

Lol went through 2-3 RMA with an X1900XT ( They sent me back the same card twice, artifacts in-game ). Finally after me bitching they sent a brand new XTX version.

Asus RMA is TRASH.

I have a major complaint about the time it takes for asus to do "testing" which is really "putting your shit in a new box and sending it back".

Maybe if we force this guy to pay shipping twice he wont want that RMA.

Thankfully only 1 asus board has ever needed to be RMAd(P5Q-Pro). Sadly they didn't even bother to repack it, I got back exactly what I sent in. They had clearly not even opened the box:eek: Granted the board was actually fine(overheating ram that was the culprit). But one of their new bioses did cause the board to later shit a brick and I gave up on it. Ordered a EP45-UD3P to replace it.

As for the P5Q-Pro it is now sitting in a second computer and after updating the bios again it seems to be fixed. But really when something has behaved so oddly before you can't trust it.

I use to have Asus motherboards but my last one was an A8N-SLi Premium. It was a great board and never had a problem. Although this Asus laptop that I have has that 8600M GT video card that overheats and all I get is the run around from their support.

Back