ASUS Warns Radeon RX 6800 XT Initial Stock To Be Limited, Ryzen 5000 CPUs Ravaged By Scalpers

erek

[H]F Junkie
"A quick trip over to eBay shows that the Ryzen 9 5950X has been selling for between $1,100 to $1,200, which is well over its $799 asking price. It's a similar situation for the Ryzen 9 5900X, which has ended listings hovering in the $800 price range versus a list price of $549.

We can understand why there is so much interest in these new Ryzen 5000 processors given the incredible performance that they deliver, but we'd advise against paying these inflated prices and wait for inventory levels to stabilize."

https://hothardware.com/news/asus-warns-radeon-rx-6800-xt-initial-stock-to-be-limited-ryzen-5000

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Consider this: Unless you're crunching numbers to beat COVID, your shit is already "Fast enough for the likes of you". Going from 90 to 110 frames per second isn't that important. Going from 100 to anything higher is equally "nice to have but hardly necessary". If your render takes 10 minutes.....shaving that to 7 minutes isn't tilting the world off its axis. Patience.
Remember....THE 6000 SERIES ARE ALREADY IN DESIGN :D

The scalpers are abundant, but stock was available much longer than 3080's... Unfortunately, these are much smaller dies and you get much more per wafer, so they had more stock. This doesnt give me high confidence going into their GPU launch which requires a lot more water space meaning less produced per wafer. Add to this Nvidia stock still MIA it is looking like a new GPU purchase is better to just wait till after the holidays. CPUs will probably be in/out often as can be seen how many here were able to grab them already. At least you had a chance with the CPU launch, GPU launch is shaping up to be disappointing.

Every highend release is going to be a repeat of nvidias to some extent. The scalpers have found a reliable source of income and no one is doing anything substantial to curb them. Get used to the new norm.

And yet, AMD couldn't help themselves painting the Big Navi launch into a corner.

https://www.techspot.com/news/86889-amd-frank-azor-confident-there-no-ampere-like.html

Apparently, having a smaller die size AND a different fab from NVIDIA and no GDDR6X missing memory issues still isn't enough to shake the 290X/Vega 64 curse.

As I said in response to that story "I will believe the AMD has fixed their poor availability during launch of Big GPU when I see it."

You will be we lucky if you can buy 6800 XT at MSRP by April.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCB
like this
The scalpers are abundant, but stock was available much longer than 3080's... Unfortunately, these are much smaller dies and you get much more per wafer, so they had more stock. This doesnt give me high confidence going into their GPU launch which requires a lot more water space meaning less produced per wafer. Add to this Nvidia stock still MIA it is looking like a new GPU purchase is better to just wait till after the holidays. CPUs will probably be in/out often as can be seen how many here were able to grab them already. At least you had a chance with the CPU launch, GPU launch is shaping up to be disappointing.
Stock was available much longer? Definitely not in my experience. The 5950X and 5900X sold out instantly at every retailer, as in within a few seconds - just like the 3080s. The 5800X and 5600X took a little longer to sell out, but still sold out online within a few minutes almost everywhere.

And yet, AMD couldn't help themselves painting the Big Navi launch into a corner.

https://www.techspot.com/news/86889-amd-frank-azor-confident-there-no-ampere-like.html

Apparently, having a smaller die size AND a different fab from NVIDIA and no GDDR6X fab \issues still isn't enough to shake the 290X/Vega 64 curse.
Never tell the truth to your investors. They might get scared. Instead, give them the aura of supreme confidence and make statements that defy all logic such as "There will be no shortages" when discussing initial product stock information. Then, when reality happens, feign ignorance with statements like "unprecedented demand" and include obscure concepts like "specialized software purchasing bots" to confuse the situation and make it seem like there was no way to control it and certainly no way that it could ever have been anticipated to such a degree. Rinse and repeat for each product launch in the future. Everything will be OK if you do these things.

Stock was available much longer? Definitely not in my experience. The 5950X and 5900X sold out instantly at every retailer, as in within a few seconds - just like the 3080s. The 5800X and 5600X took a little longer to sell out, but still sold out online within a few minutes almost everywhere.
Yea surprised that people not trying to sell 5600x for the price of a 5950x. On Nvidia side people were paying more for a 3080 then a 3090 msrp. Also 3070 for 3080 prices.

Looks like a fresh new business opportunity everyone is jumping on. Interested to make a quick buck off of uninformed silly enthusiast? The times are dark. Evil rule is upon us, but we must prevail brethren nd sisters. The swords shall flash with sparks nd wrath of vengeance!! Do not let your spirits be vexed, arise!!!

I guess everything is corrupted, politics, gpu scalping, America, Europe, CPU scalping, priests, etc.... oh well glad I have at least a 5600xt to play video games on while the country and world degrades into evil chaos and despotism.

You would think the manufacturers would institute some type of system to limit purchases of limited-stock items to *at most* two per household. If a captcha isn't enough, set up a phone bank where you have to actually call and verify that you are a human - give it a five minute delay or something for added measure.

It would also be nice to see reseller sites like ebay brought in to restrict resale of these items during initial launch, but of course that would cost ebay money and will never happen. Damn scalpers are even doing this with B-Stock 1080ti cards right now, literally advertising them as B-Stock from EVGA, the bastards!

I just wish I could purchase one and have them ship it to me when it's available rather than having to camp websites and press F5 and then hope I am faster than an army of bots. AMD sells these direct, so why not allow me to pre-order?

If you think about it, lasting 8 seconds instead of 6 is a statistically significant increase in duration. So it is not inaccurate to say that it took much longer for the AMD equipment to sell out compared to the NVidia ones...

Apparently, having a smaller die size AND a different fab from NVIDIA and no GDDR6X missing memory issues still isn't enough to shake the 290X/Vega 64 curse.

As I said in response to that story "I will believe the AMD has fixed their poor availability during launch of Big GPU when I see it."

You will be we lucky if you can buy 6800 XT at MSRP by April.

Once again how did you expect AMD to anticipate nvidia completely crapping their launch? AMD more than likely predicted their numbers from past launches and not expecting to take market share from nvidia.

AMD's Q4 2020 GPU market casually doubled at a minimum, tripled or more, realistically ... and they just took over the bulk of the CPU market, particularly for enthusiasts.

They could have launched with ten times as much inventory as Nvidia with equal or greater numbers of CPUs and they were always going to sell out in a flash.

The silver lining is that when parts will be more widely available, their ecosystems will be larger.

Once again how did you expect AMD to anticipate nvidia completely crapping their launch? AMD more than likely predicted their numbers from past launches and not expecting to take market share from nvidia.
Until I see concrete numbers from both AMD and NVidia I am not willing to say either of them crapped their launch.

Until I see concrete numbers from both AMD and NVidia I am not willing to say either of them crapped their launch.
The rumor mill had them pegged at 30K for the 3000-series (25K/5K) at launch and 300,000 (both, unsure of the split) delivered by end-ish of October.

And considering the hype the 3000 rtx series achieved to generate among people that care only about game fps/price while the price/performance was maybe nothing special (jury still out obviously, but it would be really surprising for the 6800xt to not make it look like it), arguably regardless of stock it was a good decision to rush it.

And considering the hype the 3000 rtx series achieved to generate among people that care only about game fps/price while the price/performance was maybe nothing special (jury still out obviously, but it would be really surprising for the 6800xt to not make it look like it), arguably regardless of stock it was a good decision to rush it.
I know I am waiting on a trio of Gigabyte 3090 Turbo's regardless of what AMD launches because we need the CUDA acceleration and there is nothing currently available to us that matches them in that price bracket, but for home, I am happily awaiting the 5970x announcement and come May all parties should have their supply issues sorted as the initial waves should all have been dealt with by then.

Well if supply is so limited to prevent me from getting a GPU, I will wait. If the world starts to crumble, may have to buy an abandoned missile silo with blast doors :D. I think I am more monitor limited than GPU limited, playing GTA V (never finished it) nearly maxed out, 4x MSAA and getting over 100fps consistently at 1440p. SLI works great in that game, 2x 1080 Ti. Frankly the need is not that, the want maybe there but in the end I am not missing out hardly on anything. I can play backlog games, virtually all of them, maxed out settings, taking probably more than a year. Get a true next Gen monitor (probably 2021) then upgrade the GPU. The days of being first in line, like running some sort of race to brag about the trophy just no longer appeal to me. Will try with a 6900 XT, not going to spend days F5ing. If AMD wants to sell me one, I will buy it. Not going to waste more than 30 min over it in the end.

Lol surely you can't be serious? Nvidia crapped the bed so hard on this launch they had to throw the mattress away.
Without actual numbers, all we can say with certainty is that they are not keeping up with demand but that can't be used as an actual performance indicator. Now if it turns out that they only moved 30k units worldwide in a month that would be a massive failure on their part, but if they moved 300k units in a month that would be a resounding success regardless of the fact that they have failed to meet demand. So numbers are needed to place their sales and supply into some sort of context.

Never tell the truth to your investors. They might get scared. Instead, give them the aura of supreme confidence and make statements that defy all logic such as "There will be no shortages" when discussing initial product stock information. Then, when reality happens, feign ignorance with statements like "unprecedented demand" and include obscure concepts like "specialized software purchasing bots" to confuse the situation and make it seem like there was no way to control it and certainly no way that it could ever have been anticipated to such a degree. Rinse and repeat for each product launch in the future. Everything will be OK if you do these things.
Not sure sure how scared investor would be to hear our product is so popular we will have an hard time keeping up with demand on launch.

Reactions: travm
like this
Not sure sure how scared investor would be to hear our product is so popular we will have an hard time keeping up with demand on launch.
Well, they would follow it up with a request for numbers, if you are at capacity and not keeping up it is a bit different than at like half or a third of capacity. So if revenue is where they expect it or better than YAY for everybody!

Nvidia crapped the bed so hard on this launch they had to throw the mattress away
Not even all the spatulas in Jensen's kitchen can clean-up that mess.

I was all hyped to purchase a 5950x until my phone's internet connection went out as I was trying to buy it. I was at work, so I could not troubleshoot the issue until 45 minutes later. By then, everything was gone. I may just wait until next year to upgrade.

Without actual numbers, all we can say with certainty is that they are not keeping up with demand but that can't be used as an actual performance indicator. Now if it turns out that they only moved 30k units worldwide in a month that would be a massive failure on their part, but if they moved 300k units in a month that would be a resounding success regardless of the fact that they have failed to meet demand. So numbers are needed to place their sales and supply into some sort of context.

We get it. The fanboy can't see past his nose.

Eta: you believed the cdw rep without actual numbers. So which is it you believe, no numbers or no numbers?

We get it. The fanboy can't see past his nose.

Eta: you believed the cdw rep without actual numbers. So which is it you believe, no numbers or no numbers?
Well I've had him as a rep for 14 years, never given me a reason not to trust him, except this one time at a conference he did tell me that it would only be a quick drink one maybe 2 and that I could totally be back to my hotel in an hour... Woke up in the fountain at the wrong hotel wearing a traffic cone passed out next to the IBM team.

Well shit, guess I'm not finishing my build til sometime next year.
May is a good month to get builds built. Things are restocked after the easter sales rushes and there aren't any big sales events or product launches for a good while after. It's one of the slow times.

Can't wait for the scalper bubble to burst. Maybe they can sell the stock to each other when we run out if idiots willing to pay scalper prices.
Well, they only need to scalp a fraction of what they bring in if they manage to sell 2 at a 100% mark up and the other 8 at MSRP then they still come out ahead. And unless stock levels are way better than anybody is letting on its not like they are bringing them in by the pallet, they are getting one or 2 at a time.

Consider this: Unless you're crunching numbers to beat COVID, your shit is already "Fast enough for the likes of you". Going from 90 to 110 frames per second isn't that important. Going from 100 to anything higher is equally "nice to have but hardly necessary". If your render takes 10 minutes.....shaving that to 7 minutes isn't tilting the world off its axis. Patience.
Remember....THE 6000 SERIES ARE ALREADY IN DESIGN :D
DDR5, baby!

The best way to fight the scalpers is supply the majority of your stock to the brick and mortar stores. Shoot even work with new distributors that haven't typically carried tech stuff before. As long as we rely on internet sales for this stuff were just putting it on a silver platter for the taking.

It will be be a bummer if I end up just returning all the parts I bought and buying a PS5 instead. That's the answer if I can't get a GPU after the 6800xt launch.

Back