ASUS W90Vp-X1 NoteBook "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 X2" $2200

"I'm not a crook"

Limp Gawd
I'd say this is pretty hot, for those of you gamers on the move or students who need a quality system that can play games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220503

key features:
CPU T9600(2.80GHz)
Resolution 1920 x 1200
GPU/VPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 X2

Battery 12-cell lithium ion

Sure, there's no way that battery is going to last very long when gaming, but that's expected for a gaming laptop.

Model
Brand ASUS
Model W90Vp-X1
Part# 90N-SQXA39312B8KQL0Y
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
Screen 18.4" WUXGA
Memory Size 6GB DDR2
Hard Disk 320GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 X2
Video Memory 1024MB
Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Dimensions 17.4" x 12.91" x 2.48"
Weight 11.46 lbs.
Other Features Fingerprint reader
Carry Bag/Optical Mouse
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed T9600(2.80GHz)
CPU FSB 1066MHz
CPU L2 Cache 6MB
Chipset
Chipset Intel X38
Display
Screen Size 18.4"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide UXGA
Resolution 1920 x 1200
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics
GPU/VPU ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 X2
Video Memory Dedicated 1024MB
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 320GB
HD RPM 7200rpm
Memory
Memory Slots 3 x SO-DIMM
Memory Speed DDR2 800
Memory 6GB
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Communications
Modem V.92 56K
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11 bgn Wireless LAN
Bluetooth Bluetooth V2.1+EDR
Ports
USB 4
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI
Other port 1 x eSATA
Audio Ports 1 x Microphone-in jack
1 x Headphone-out jack (S/PDIF)
Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Internal Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 8 in 1 card reader: SD, MMC, MS, MS-Pro, xD, mini SD w/ adapter, MS-Duo, MS-Pro Duo via adapter
Webcam 2.0M
Power
Battery 12-cell lithium ion
Physical spec
Dimensions 17.4" x 12.91" x 2.48"
Weight 11.46 lbs.

Compared to one of the Gateway's we've seen for half or less than half of that price?

Not hot at all IMO.

[QUOTE="I'm not a crook";1033742165]Which gateway? the P-7805u FX Edition? It looks like its their best gaming laptop, and it doesn't even come close to this Asus's cpu performance, screen resolution or gaming power.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668231.php[/QUOTE]

That, or the 7811. Both had mobile 8800/9800GTS gpus, and both could handle 1920x1200 with ease in just about all games except Crysis. Paying an extra thousand dollars for a card that is really meant for resolutions that the laptop you posted can't even show may be fine for the true [H]ard, but it doesn't make it a hot deal by any stretch of the imagination.

Few laptops for $2200 would warrant a hot deal. That money could build a stellar gaming desktop (even a portable one) with money leftover. Do people really lug these giant laptops around to game?

I agree with Stiletto. Plus that 4870x2 is going to eat up all of the battery life. I'm sure the gateway is 10x better on battery than the asus.

on the go? 12 lbs!! that is BEAST! :) - but not a bad deal not great but not bad -

My best deal was an hp 17" dual core 4 gb ram blu ray/dvd recorder/9600gt with vista premium (free upgrade to ulitmate) for 700 - I got it a a best buy rewards member only sale. It is sweet - esata, wireless n, 320 hd with space for a second and I can raid 0 them lol...

[QUOTE="I'm not a crook";1033742199]link to 7811? does it have 1920x1200 resolution? the 7805 has a poor mans 1440 x 900 res.[/QUOTE]

The 7811 does do 1920x1200, at less than half the price. Little harder to find now, though.

nice for the people that can afford it (out of my price range), and I would not mind lugging that around at all. doesn't seem like that bad of a deal at all to me

can't really compare the gateway to this laptop, you are comparing apples and oranges. The gateway isn't in the same league in performance as the asus w90vp-x1

If you compare this to alienware or the m1730 line, then it makes more sense because those systems are meant to play today's game at high resolutions without much compromise. It's basically desktops .... but really small :p

It's a great laptop. I guess the only thing I am curious about is if it is 1gb of vram for each vpu or 512 for each vpu.

can't really compare the gateway to this laptop, you are comparing apples and oranges. The gateway isn't in the same league in performance as the asus w90vp-x1

If you compare this to alienware or the m1730 line, then it makes more sense because those systems are meant to play today's game at high resolutions without much compromise. It's basically desktops .... but really small :p

I'm comparing how they handle games at max resolution.

The difference, except in Crysis, makes for a dismal price-performace ratio.

An 8800GTS/9800GTS is not good enough for 1920x1200 4X AA/16X AF. You're going to need a GTX 260 or single 4870. I agree with iceredwing that it's apples and oranges. The 8800GTS is fine if it's 1680x1050 or below.

When I'm on the road, I use my DS. Props to all those who can afford a $2200 gaming notebook

Man a DS? you are living large...

I draw stick figures and pretend i'm watching p0rn on my 'notebook'

Few laptops for $2200 would warrant a hot deal. That money could build a stellar gaming desktop (even a portable one) with money leftover. Do people really lug these giant laptops around to game?

You could build a kickass Lanbox and buy 2 24" LCD's. Leave one at school and one at home. Lug the PC around with you when going back and forth. (I think that's the portability thing they were talking about).

Talk about overkill.

It's too bad we haven't really seen a mobility HD 4670. Imo that would be the ideal laptop performance card thanks to it's low power consumption for what it can do.

An 8800GTS/9800GTS is not good enough for 1920x1200 4X AA/16X AF. You're going to need a GTX 260 or single 4870. I agree with iceredwing that it's apples and oranges. The 8800GTS is fine if it's 1680x1050 or below.

we are talking about laptops

Yes I do need to lug this around to game. Especially when I''m traveling to Taiwan or China for 3 weeks or more at a time. Usually I have a lot of free time during the day which is when all of my friends are gaming (back home at night).

If I moved to work in another country this would make a great DTR with its huge screen but still seems a bit excessive.

I'd be more inclined to still buy the Gateway series laptops though, for the price, I'd say its not a bad deal if you can afford this but this is for a very small market.

Some one should add the OCed QX9300 version broke 20k in 3Dmark06, people have commented that this notebook has great cooling.

isnt the T9600 a 2.6ghz part? anyone have a link to this with a quad for sale?

The Mobility 4870 X2 scores something like 20k in 3dMark06.

But at almost 12 lbs and $2200 I don't think performance can qualify it as a hot deal.... doesn't even have a quad core :p

According to Notebookcheck.net the 4870x2m only takes 2*65 watts of energy. That is so small compared to the normal 4870x2 yet that would drain the battery so quickly. More info (such as stream processors, core frequency, shader, and memory is also here)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4870-X2-Crossfire.14406.0.html

Damn the 4870m line will kill the 9800m gtx. The 9800m gtx is pretty much the desktop version of the 8800gt that has been downclocked 20%. While the 4870m is pretty much the same thing as the desktop version of the 4870 but has been downclocked 33%.

That, or the 7811. Both had mobile 8800/9800GTS gpus, and both could handle 1920x1200 with ease in just about all games except Crysis. Paying an extra thousand dollars for a card that is really meant for resolutions that the laptop you posted can't even show may be fine for the true [H]ard, but it doesn't make it a hot deal by any stretch of the imagination.

hardly, an 8800GTS would struggle with most games out now @ 1920x1200 and an 9800GT series...

[QUOTE="I'm not a crook";1033742165]Which gateway? the P-7805u FX Edition? It looks like its their best gaming laptop, and it doesn't even come close to this Asus's cpu performance, screen resolution or gaming power.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668231.php[/QUOTE]

My brother has that laptop. It seems to run COD4 just fine maxed out. The max res sucks though.

The Mobility 4870 X2 scores something like 20k in 3dMark06.

But at almost 12 lbs and $2200 I don't think performance can qualify it as a hot deal.... doesn't even have a quad core :p
ecstatic.gif

It's still a laptop so it can't really compare with the desktops performance or what we're used to :)

It only scored over 20k because it was a QX9300 OCed to 4Ghz, the notebook stayed cool enough to stay stable and not just because of the 4870 x2.

no idea what people were talking about ..

this LAPTOP...HAVE "4870X2"

and usually a high-end laptop GPU are extremely expensive..

this one actually have a decent deal ...

This isn't actually a bad price for the performance you're getting. Notebooks with high end GPUs are typically approaching $3 grand.

You do realize that the 9800mGTS is equivalent to a 9600GT right...

Compared to a desktop, of course it's not a good deal. But if you're familiar with notebook prices, then this looks like a pretty good price. Especially since the mobile 4000 series from ATI is looking to be pretty powerful. Going to beat the Gateway with 9800m for sure!

I really like the look of it too. Doesn't look like some of Asus' other "gaming" notebooks, this one has some great specs but still looks relatively classy with no neon blue lights everywhere.

I bought a balls out gaming laptop before. It turned out to be too heavy for me to bother lugging around in most cases. Too loud because of the video card. Damn thing sounded like a jet engine starting up. I dreaded using it, but forced myself to because I paid too much money to have it sit around being unused.Next to zero battery life brand new. I didn't even like using it as a desktop..ish computer at home because it was too noisy. 4870x2......yah, I am sure they are using a really quite fan to keep that thing from catching on fire in a laptop.

I would wait until I could read many many different reviews and forum post from owners. And then it would have to be after they owned it for months and the pride of not admitting they bought a bad deal wears off and they actually say what they really think of the laptop begins.

However, I already own one of the HP 8800GTS laptops and it works great for me both in ability to play any game I play at more then acceptable performance to portability. I have no problems putting this laptop in my backpack and lugging it around. It runs cool even while gaming and is very quite....which is important to me.

Price is nice though for the performance level you get. You just need to be sure of what you are getting into and that you can accept the weight, heat and noise

I had a hp dv9000 series (9dv9339us) with a nvidia go7600 in it. Along with many other people, my gpu/board fried one day after displaying screen corruption. Now its a brick and both hp and nvidia say its the other companies concern. I was on the phone several times and was very adamant but they stonewalled me. HP wants $400+ to fix it. HP only extended warranty on a handful of p/n numbers on the series' affected (sort of a sub serial number).. basically screwing everyone else that had the mfg defective parts and process in the affected generations of nvidia gpus.

I am writing this as a word of warning. Desktop performance dedicated gpus in a thin laptop sandwich run very hot. In my opinion they should design a taller backed chasis with some heavy duty modular fan cooling for desktop replacement gaming notebooks, with the gpu in the back by the fans. Modular in that you could remove the fans and clean them, or replace them if necessary.

I did use a laptop cooler on my $1500 hp but that may have only resulted in getting me 6months past the 1 yr warranty before it burned up. I hope for the sake of everyone buying these that they have better luck with the ATI desktop replacement gaming GPUs.

Back