Asus vs EVGA for Titan X

Yes, but here at [H]ard|Forum we never pass up an opportunity to bash ASUS into the ground, regardless of the facts like you posted above and the good experiences of literally millions of users who never post in forums, since ASUS is the largest worldwide. Prepare to be flamed incessantly and relentlessly!

;)

I don't know if you're referring to my post specifically, but I'm just saying it like it is.

While I don't disagree with the points you're making (minus the bashing part ;)), I do think it certainly deserves to be pointed ou that Asus does seem to have a higher than proportionate amount of horror stories, relative to the other major retailers like MSI, Gigabyte, and EVGA.

Even if 99% of the RMAs go fine, people may still not want to chance that 1%, especially for a $1000 purchase. On the contrary, I've only ever seen good things about EVGA's warranty when it comes to GPUs. Everything else being equal (especially since the Titan line is locked down pretty tight), I think it's not irrational to go with a company that's less likely to give you grief should you ever need to use their warranty.

I don't know if you're referring to my post specifically, but I'm just saying it like it is.

While I don't disagree with the points you're making (minus the bashing part ;)), I do think it certainly deserves to be pointed ou that Asus does seem to have a higher than proportionate amount of horror stories, relative to the other major retailers like MSI, Gigabyte, and EVGA.

Even if 99% of the RMAs go fine, people may still not want to chance that 1%, especially for a $1000 purchase. On the contrary, I've only ever seen good things about EVGA's warranty when it comes to GPUs. Everything else being equal (especially since the Titan line is locked down pretty tight), I think it's not irrational to go with a company that's less likely to give you grief should you ever need to use their warranty.

ASUS actually sells more motherboards than any other company. In most cases they far exceed them in sales. As a result you'll see far more horror stories about them than any other manufacturer. Granted, I agree that there may be a disproportionate amount of issues compared to other companies, I don't know. It definitely seems that way sometimes.

Like I said I'm an impatient bastard and the first Titan X's I could get ahold of were ASUS. We'll see how it goes. I've never owned ASUS video cards before.

You actually piqued my interest regarding market share, so I did a bit of digging and managed to find the following:

Q1 2013 mobo shipments
While Asus is still the dominant seller of motherboards, Gigabyte is nearing it in terms of raw numbers. In Q1 2013, Asus sold 5.0 million motherboards, while Gigabyte was almost at that level with an impressive 4.9 million motherboards.

Asus, Gigabyted headed for photo finish
The latest chatter Digitimes is hearing from its sources within the supply chain is that both companies are expected to ship 5.1 million to 5.2 million branded motherboards in the second quarter of 2014. Looking ahead, those same sources say Asus and Gigabyte are likely to ship 6 million more in the third.

At last count, Asus was ahead of Gigabyte by a mere 100,000 units back in the first quarter. Depending on how things shake out, Gigabyte could close the gap by the end of the second or third quarter, and then it would be a fierce race in the fourth.

Gigabyte overtakes Asus in Q1 2015
According to calculations from upstream supply chain sources, Gigabyte shipped 4.7 to 4.8 million motherboards in the first quarter while Asustek, normally the largest motherboard vendor, shipped 4.5 million.

Now obviously I don't know if it's correct to equate "shipped" with "sold", but at least it would seem like Gigabyte and Asus are more often than not neck to neck with each other when it comes to motherboards.

In terms of GPUs, this is pretty much the only article I could find with concrete numbers.

Taiwan's Asustek sold five million graphics cards during 2014. DigiTimes reports that, despite an industry graphics card sales slump of around 10 per cent last year, ASUS managed to maintain this 5m sales figure, identical to what it reported the year previously.

Gigabyte was second place in sales last year with about 3.6 million units shipped. Compared to a year earlier this number represents a reduction in sales volume of around 200,000 units, says DigiTimes. Another favourite in the west, MSI, shipped 2.8-3 million graphics cards in 2014.

So in terms of GPUs, yes it seems like in 2014 at least, it had a 40% lead over Gigabyte. You may find it interesting that Palit and PC Partner were the #1 seller a while back.

Now the obvious question is whether there are 40% more horror stories about Asus' RMA vs Gigabyte's, or whether that number far exceeds 40%. And that I truly have no idea. :p The other question here is global vs NA sales, because Asia is also a huge market for these components.

All that aside, you know nVidia was selling Titan X direct right?

You actually piqued my interest regarding market share, so I did a bit of digging and managed to find the following:

Q1 2013 mobo shipments

Asus, Gigabyted headed for photo finish

Gigabyte overtakes Asus in Q1 2015

Now obviously I don't know if it's correct to equate "shipped" with "sold", but at least it would seem like Gigabyte and Asus are more often than not neck to neck with each other when it comes to motherboards.

In terms of GPUs, this is pretty much the only article I could find with concrete numbers.

So in terms of GPUs, yes it seems like in 2014 at least, it had a 40% lead over Gigabyte. You may find it interesting that Palit and PC Partner were the #1 seller a while back.

Now the obvious question is whether there are 40% more horror stories about Asus' RMA vs Gigabyte's, or whether that number far exceeds 40%. And that I truly have no idea. :p The other question here is global vs NA sales, because Asia is also a huge market for these components.

All that aside, you know nVidia was selling Titan X direct right?

Interesting on the motherboard numbers. And yes, I am aware there are NVIDIA branded cards this time around.

Im a big Asus supporter when it comes to motherboards. Never owned a non-Asus mobo in my desktops.

But, when it comes to video cards, I've never had an Asus. My last 2 cards were EVGA 980s. They worked fine. Before that was an Evga Titan SC. Worked fine. Before the Evga Titan, I actually cant remember what card I was running. My current setup is 2 x Titan X's direct from the nvidia website. And they work fine.

Clock speeds / cooling solutions being equal, I guess you go by:
1. Availability (THIS is why I have 2 x reference cards, you literally couldn't get ANY other brand when I ordered mine)
2. Price
3. Looks?
4. Customer service reputation?
5. ?

As long as they don't break, I really don't care who makes em, though I DO wish they had come with backplates. EVGA makes a sorta-ok looking one, cheap and better looking than the stock nude setup:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-BP-3790-B9
(but they're currently out of stock)

Heres what my 2 x Nvidia models look like in action:
image1_3.jpg

(before someone slams me for my 9 x fans, they all run at 450 RPM and the case is silent under general Win use. However, when gaming, the noise of the 2 x Titan X fans is a different story all together....)

The only thing that bothers me about the fans is the fact that there are several different looking models in there. Some are lit and some aren't. I find the your lack of symmetry disturbing. :D

I agree, the 2 x yellow non-led ones will be the next to go, and will be replaced by 2 x red ones of the same model as the top rear exhaust fan. I wanted 2 colors, didnt want all red or all white :) But yeah, the yellows need to go!

You have yellow LED fans?!

Ok yeah I take back what I said earlier, those need to go, RIGHT NOW.

:D

Back