Asus VN279Q Review by PRAD

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
PRAD's Review: Available for free 03.12.2013. (Use Google or Chrome to translate)
=DEAD='s Asus VN279Q Review (Use Google or Chrome to translate)

Asus VN279Q Product Page Google Asus VN279Q, don't add the LB.

+Height Adjustable Stand
+Faster pixel response times (Trace Free 60) vs. BenQ GW2760HS & Samsung S27C750P
+Negligible Lag
+2,800:1 contrast
+Higher sRGB Color Space coverage (better colors) vs. BenQ GW2760HS & Samsung S27C750P
+2.5khz PWM

Aside from the gamma shift & viewing angles the Asus VN279Q is the first true 1080p IPS competitor color vibrancy and pixel response time wise while also offering cinema worthy black levels.

The coating appears to be the same as the BenQ GW2760HS which uses the same coating as the Samsung S27C750P

Don't know if it overclocks so don't ask. It probably does.

Read/watch my Samsung S27C750P Review
Extrahardwares Samsung S24C750P Review (Use Google or Chrome to translate)
=DEAD='s Samsung S24C750P Review (Use Google or Chrome to translate)
=DEAD='s Iiyama X2483HSU Review (Use Google or Chrome to translate)

Always purchase from retailers with hassle free return & exchange policies like Amazon, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Memory Express (Canada, 7 Days), Futureshop (Canada, 14 days), ect...purchasing monitors from places which can charge re-stocking fees is stupid.

Last edited:
Asus/BenQ/Samsung all use AUO VA panels which are not very consistent contrast wise vs. Samsung's discontinued C-PVA & S-PVA panels contrast wise.

NCX, how has PRAD rated electronic sound characteristics (noise)?

Silent but this can vary and you should read the review if you are really interested. If you can afford a 300$ monitor surely you can spend a few duckets on a review :)

I live in Brazil. I do not even have the credicard that is accepted by them.

Regardless thanks.

Try PayPal.
PRAD has written that the Asus VN279QLB does not make any noise (++ sehr gut).

Thank you very much.

I'll think about it. Who knows I'll subscribe for period, rather than buying an individual review.

If it is not against the rules, tell me what have been the ratings to "Geeignet für Gelegenheitsspieler" and "Geeignet für Hardcorespieler". If not, disregard my request.

Just now I see the prices are in Euros. Hardly I'll buy the article. I'm goin to wait for the free I guess.

I know. It's unfair to those who pay for. So don't tell me.

Thank you very much!

I think PRAD is the most trustworthy monitor review site.

Can we say VN279QLB is the best 27+ -inch 1920x1080 non-TN for gaming?

I couldn't find any faster VA/IPS/PLS in the PRAD test.
I hop TFT Central or someone else will also review this Monitor i always like to read 2-3 reviews before buying a new Monitor. :)

Wow nice. Looks like a winner. I need to upgrade my travel monitor for road trips , this seems like it can fit the bill nicely.

I couldn't find any faster VA/IPS/PLS in the PRAD test.
I hop TFT Central or someone else will also review this Monitor i always like to read 2-3 reviews before buying a new Monitor. :)

Hmm. I am a bit sceptical (as an owner of the EW2730 and hater of its motion). The problem with VA panels is that there are some transitions where there is a lot of trailing. And I mean a lot. No matter how good their acceleration is, they remain an issue. Some of the fast responses look good and the averages are decent. But remember that Prad don't show maximum values and they are the nasty ones I'm talking about above.

Look at TFT Central's review of the GW2760HS, http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm.

Look at the spread of values recorded using the AMA high setting. The average is around 11ms, the lowest is 4.6ms. But some of the values are nearly 34ms and there are some around 18ms! So I don't think Prad are painting the whole picture here.

Also look at Prad's values for the S27C750 using the Fastest setting which doesn't cause the same issues as Trace Free 100. Good values, comparable to the ASUS. TFT Central didn't review this so I can't see the maximum values but if you look at subjective impressions from other reviews it's clearly mentioned that there are some troublesome slow transitions. http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s27c750p and http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...0p-review-1920x1080-72hz-semi-glossy-mva.html.

I say this as somebody who really likes VA, can't stand IPS glow and wants real IPS like responsiveness from VA. The ASUS comes close, but don't think it gives the same experience as IPS with its pixels.

Thanks, for point this out i didn't notice this new response time measurement from TFT Central. :)
Do you by any chance also know way i can see any contrast differences between a VA and a TN/IPS/PLS Monitor in the review videos? I'm not so annoyed by less deep blacks but grayish blacks are a nightmare for me especially because i use my Monitor as a TV too.

Well I know you can definitely see a contrast difference when you actually use them. Maybe it's because the camera adjusts exposure etc. and with your own monitor you're probably not seeing an accurate representation of what you'd see first hand.

That confuses me always if i read the reviews. I had a good CRT for a long time and i'm really frustrated to find a good satisfying LCD Monitor. I'm use to display quality. :D
Do you maybe know a tool that can simulate a 900:1 hardware contrats on a 3400:1 contrats Monitor?

Last edited:
That confuses me always if i read the reviews. I had a good CRT for a long time and i'm really frustrated to find a good satisfying LCD Monitor. I'm use to display quality. :D
Do you maybe know a tool that can simulate a 900:1 hardware contrats on a 3400:1 contrats Monitor?

Contrast perception is altered by a monitors

Coating
Bezel Color & Coating
Brightness
Screen Uniformity

and ones room lightning, any simulation would be useless. The BenQ GW2450HM has a glossy bezel & matte coating. Glossy bezels make matte monitors blacks look lighter

You already posted some of the best examples

http://blog.skalibrujtv.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ips-vs-mva1.jpg

werwera.png

werwerwer2.png

Okay i think i can be sure now that my first LCD "LG IPS235P" (S-IPS) was not somehow broken. :D
It looks like that there is no way around a VA if i need an allrounder LCD (Office, TV, Gaming, ..) especially in a low light room. It sucks that the new Neo-Plasmas have a input lag around 60ms in Game Mode. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Between ASUS VN279QLB (or VN279Q) and HP Envy 27 (or Pavilion 27bw), which would you choose for gaming?

Is there any 2560x1440 as good for gaming as those?

What are diffrences Q, QL and QLB ?

I only see diffrent stand from Q to others

They are all the same except for:

Asus VN279QLB:
Video Connectors: 1 x D-Sub (VGA), 1 x HDMI/MHL, 1 x DisplayPort.
USB 3.0 Port(s): 1 x upstream, 2 x downstream.
Desk Stand: VESA tilt, pivot, and height adjustable.
Asus VN279QL:
USB Port(s): None.
Desk Stand: VESA tilt, pivot, and height adjustable.
Asus VN279Q:
Desk Stand: Fixed not adjustable.
Asus VN279H:
Video Connectors: 1 x D-Sub (VGA), 2 x HDMI/MHL.
Desk Stand: Fixed not adjustable.

And at the moment only the Asus VN279QLB is available in shops.

Last edited:
I wonder how bothersome is PWM at 2500hz.

I'm personally quite sensitive to flicker as I've noticed I get headaches from looking at the S27A650D when brightness is set on 45% and then none when brightness is set to 100%.

Perhaps BenQ GW2760HS or Asus VN279QLB be better for me.

I wonder if this monitor has a different panel than that of the BenQ and the Samsung.
http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist....0&brand_family=AUO&resolution_pixels=19201080
The M270HVN02.0 is what the GW2760HS as shown in TFT Central's review.

If it is the same panel the better gamut in the ASUS could be explained by PWM usage. PWM-free dimming will shift the blue component to a lower frequency and diminish the color space a little bit. Especially at low brightness levels. Prad calibrate at 140 cdm2 which is fairly low considering the max brightness of the BenQ and the Samsung.

Better response times could be explained by better overdrive implementation. On the other hand the contrast measurement is significantly lower. Might be newer panel tech in the work. They might have sacrificed some transmittance for faster black to grey transitions (thats where VA suffers most).

I bought Asus VN279QLB after reading prad's review.

It seems the VN279QLB differs in what AG treatment was used compared to the one on Samsung S27C750P.
According to prad Samsung is semi glossy and microscope shots show clear differences between the two monitors. They haven't supplied one BenQ GW2760HS to compare.

I hope to be happy with it, delivery is tomorrow.

Anyone care about those unboxing movies?

Some pics of the monitor in "real," lighting conditions (your room) would be nice. Sick of photo-shopped marketing pictures with white or fake backgrounds.

It seems the VN279QLB differs in what AG treatment was used compared to the one on Samsung S27C750P.
According to prad Samsung is semi glossy and microscope shots show clear differences between the two monitors. They haven't supplied one BenQ GW2760HS to compare
That would prove that it is a different panel manufacture. Not necessarily a different membrane but if they use different coating they'll have another model number for it.

Here's pixel shots from overclockers.ru S27C750P review.
51_kristaleffect_big.jpg

The monitor is here, so I'll the do the unboxing movie in the evening.
However I couldn't resist and I've already had a peak at the device while at work.

The image seems nice and vibrant. Until now I was using very glossy monitor - Samsung S27A750D and thought that non glossy ones can't deliver crisp image.

The Asus's colours seems very live, there's nice "pop" to them.
That is probably because the surface is semi glossy, I can see reflection of myself.
By my standards that is a good thing.

I've also noted that the bezel is very thin. Although Asus used small trick here. Not the whole surface of the panel is actually used, there's about 1,5mm-2mm dead zone between the image and the bezel. This however is not too distracting once you're watching content, and I'm sure that in the dark room there will be nothing to spot.

The stand is very nice addition, it's not wobbly at all. I appreciate it a lot after not having one in my last monitor.

Minor update:
Pictures don't come clear as there's not enough light, so will take them Tomorrow morning.
The monitor does 75hz without playing with timings.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's going on, but I have some small trouble getting right colours.

When in standard mode with brightness set to 80% and colour temperature set to warm the blacks looks quite bad, there's certain glow or shine from the monitor.
Setting brightness down to 20-30% helps but then whites look little bit blue then.

sRGB mode is same bad.

The best I could do is set colour temp to "User Mode" and then get blue to 90%, brightness to 25%, glow is still there but less, blacks look quite deep and whites are crisp.

Oh out of the box VividPixel is set to 25% which makes any highlighted text look really rubbish, I recommend switching it off.

I'd like to take pictures of this with no light in the room but Canon 450D somehow doesn't shot. No matter what manual settings of ISO/Shutter speed I put in.
Any clue?

Last edited:
I hate glow. :( I have a BenQ GW2450HM (Previous MVA Generation) and on this Monitor i can't see any glow or backlight bleeding.

Hey all,
I've tried to take good pictures but I know very little about photography, and lightning condition on British morning don't make it easy.

There are two version of the pictures, original which have about 4k resolution and small ones resized to Full HD and with slightly decreased quality.

http://sobol.org/oc/AsusVN279QLB/

IMG_9758.JPG

IMG_9753.JPG

I've tried and can't wont take a picture. I think the auto focus gets confused and I'm not sure how to operate it manually but I'll look into that tonight.

What kind of shutter speed and ISO should I set for this?

I am still most interested in how fast the screen is, and any lag (or lack there of) that could be associated with it. I know the review earlier is a trusted site and all that, just like to view several before I come to any conclusion :p

I feel I need to clarify my complaint about the blacks.

The blacks on various web sites or in movies/games where there's mixed content looks awesome, what I can describe as inky black.

As soon as there's solid background with little other elements on the screen the glow is visible.
I understand now, that I only perceive it as such because of differences of uniformity.
If I focus my eyes on the middle of the screen, black is deep, as soon as I look at the whole screen I can see it "shine".

On image no. 1, 2 and 3 you can see it almost same as I see it. It is slightly exaggerated but it is difficult to capture faithful images. Also please be aware that the dark round shape in the middle of the screen is because of reflection of my person.

1.JPG

2.JPG

5.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

All images:
http://sobol.org/oc/AsusVN279QLB/Glow/

Is that how it looks 1:1 in reality? I tried to take the same picture of my GW2450HM with my SmartPhone but it captures the glow effect 100 times worse as it really is.
But what i notice is that the new MVA Panels have a more silverish glow instead of a purplish glow that is an improvement.
If you see no glow in a dark room watching a dark movie then this Monitor has a LOW Glow effect for a LCD Display.

Last edited:
@sobol Hello, I just received the monitor and it's perfect. No dead pixel or bleeding.

I have one issue with it though. The monitor is connected with a Displayport cable and colors look all washed out and blacks are grey. I tried with the HDMI port and the software for nvidia cards that allows full range and colors/blacks look as they should (fantastic!).

Do you also have this problem? Are you using the HDMI port? Could it be the Displayport cable or the graphic card? I also tried a displayport-hdmi converter cable, but it says: "No Signal"...

I don't want to return it, because I really like it, but if can't find a solution I guess I'll have to. :\

Back