Asus VN279Q Review by PRAD

@kossair Hi

I don't think the colours on mine are washed, quite the opposite.
Perhaps you want to try my settings?

Standard settings preset, Brightness 25%, Contrast 80%, Colour temperature custom setting with blue set to 90% and VividPixel set to %0.

@Outbreaker
It doesn't look like that, I had to exaggerate it a bit to show clearly what this is about.

The problem is backlight bleed and because it's so close to bezel the contrast between bright and dark is high and shine effect gets very pronounced.

I haven't made my mind whether I should keep it or return. I'll spend some more time using the monitor this weekend.

Hi sobol, thanks, but It's not about the settings. It just look as if the panel has a faint white sheet on it when using the DP cable, making everything look all washed out.

I'll be buying a different DP cable later and see if it solves anything. I'll have to send it back otherwise. It's a pity because it came perfectly calibrated out of the box and it looks amazing with the HDMI port (checked with Lagom LCD test).

Also sobol, do you happen to hear a bit of buzzing if you move the power cable when the monitor is on? I'm kinda worried it will damage the monitor in the long run...

Whens the video coming man?

Hey, I've tried to take video during weekend but it's nothing that I can post.
There's not enough natural light to make decent looking video and out of focus grainy image from iPhone 5 won't do justice to this monitor.

I had to return mine for a refund in the end. I couldn't solve that problem with the DP connection and that other issue with the power outlet got even worse. After hearing the buzzing, the monitor would power off and on by itself. A real shame...

I might give the Benq GW2760HS another try.

To the people who own(ed) one - how would you describe the coating and the reflexion? I am highly interested in this monitor, and would like to have your subjective opinion on this. Thanks!

The coating is no different than the ones that I've seen on both the Benq GW2760HS and the Samsung S27C750P. Semi-glossy and not grainy at all.

kossair, how would you describe the reflexion? for example can you see a reflexion while browsing those black forums with in room with light?

Nope. It does an excellent job at keeping reflections at bay while still maintaining great clarity.

When the monitor is off you can see some faint reflections.

I m looking to change my Dell 2209wa for new monitor because i cand stand anymore
contrast and black level and fell my eyes VERY tired after using this IPS screen. Its looks like this forum is only one sensible source of information about Ausus VN279QLB.
After serching I m choising between three VA panel ( preffer VA than horrible contrast IPS):
Benq GW2760HS,Samsung S27C750P and finaly Asus VN279QLB.Read planty about first two (Benq and Samung) but there is still nothinh about Asus.From this forum i can see that Asus my be the best choise ,especially in colors and responsive.Can anyone anserw about my questions:

-First and the most important for me what is your eyes feeling after long time on ther front
of this screen?Have anyone can honestly said anythink about that?

-If anyone compare S27C750P and VN279QLB ? In test looks like Asus should have better colors but in real life is this visbile?Samsung have Flickering free screen and wonder is that something that really do a job and improving usige comfort.

-Please canenyone who have this screen post his personal honest opinion about this product including colors ,responsive , contrast and overal impression.

I m sure there is planty people arround the world who are looking new monitor on VA panel
and like me need more info about VN279QLB and S27C750P .Please help us get the wright product for next couple of years.

Thanks to all helpfull people.

They all are flickering free (S27C750P, GW2760HS, VN279QLB) all have the same Panel.
I would not buy the S27C750P because it has a crappy stand and no VESA mount.

I m looking to change my Dell 2209wa for new monitor because i cand stand anymore
contrast and black level and fell my eyes VERY tired after using this IPS screen.

the biggest cause regarding eyestrain is color temperature. IPS or VA is little relevant if not nothing.
try start with 5000K, then 4000, 3400 and see how it reacts to your eye-fatigue.

RGB and Kelvin converter.
http://academo.org/demos/colour-temperature-relationship/

Articles you may refer.

AGING SCIENCES – Anti-Aging Firewalls http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2012/02/27/blue-light-sleep-mental-alertness-and-health/
Blue LEDs: A health hazard? http://texyt.com/bright+blue+leds+annoyance+health+risks
How to Choose the Right Color Temperature for Office or Classroom Lights http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Ch...ure-for-Office-or-Classroom-Lights&id=7201993
Light's Color Temperature Can Change Your Health and Lifestyle http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles09/color-temperature-lighting.htm

I personally think any predefined settings over 6500K in displays should be taken down for good.

Last edited:
I picked it up on monday. Unfortunately, as it has no DVI input and the DVI <-> Display Port cable the shop additionally sold me with is a single link cable that only goes DP -> DVI :( , so I won't be able to use it on my old computer. It's setup on my new box, but I won't be able to really use it before a few weeks as I have a lot to do with system migration and not a lot ofr free time. But so far, simply using it with windows, it is highly impressive.

I think the common word was that it is superior to the Samsung - as far as the BenQ is concerned I don't know much about it.

I picked it up on monday. Unfortunately, as it has no DVI input and the DVI <-> Display Port cable the shop additionally sold me with is a single link cable that only goes DP -> DVI :( , so I won't be able to use it on my old computer. It's setup on my new box, but I won't be able to really use it before a few weeks as I have a lot to do with system migration and not a lot ofr free time. But so far, simply using it with windows, it is highly impressive.

I think the common word was that it is superior to the Samsung - as far as the BenQ is concerned I don't know much about it.

Why not use DVI to HDMI on your old computer?

Well I picked up a random conversion cable without paying attention, I don't want to pay anything additional. But that's out of topic :)

Thank you guys for response.

yeowoobi-good advice and great links , i m sure that not only me may find usefull information there.

Outbreaker- no vesa amount its big minus especially than i want to install screen on the wall.What about other arguments between them two monitors?(responsive etc.)

Lebowski- you said that is impressive ,have you got conatct with samsusng,I mean can you compare them two screens?Asus havnt got DVI how I will plug in to my 285gtx(DVI only) ?
if i will use like a adapter or another solution can I expect same quality picture than without?

Outbreaker- no vesa amount its big minus especially than i want to install screen on the wall.What about other arguments between them two monitors?(responsive etc.)
The BenQ has a glossy bezel and someone posted in another forum that the Asus power adapter makes some noise. I'm also not sure what i should by. :)

No I haven't compared with another screen, but I've read reviews and comments on all them before making my decision. I'll check the power plug on the Asus this evening. However I don't have an adapter, just a cord straight from the monitor plug to the outlet.

My only disappointment was that it camonly with a VGA capable. That's rather useless in 2013, and I would have expected either a display port or an hdmi capable to come with a screen at that price.

You can use any adapter to go DVI -> HDMI or DVI -> Display Port. Just make sure it's either dual-link, or single-link in the right direction (unlike me..). There will be no loss in picture quality as it's a digital to digital conversion.

I picked up another of those hoping it wouldn't have backlight leaks like my first one but it is even worse with it. Also the new one has a speck of dust or some imperfection in the middle of the screen.

I wonder if I would be better with some semi glossy or glossy IPS screen.
Could be Full HD or WQHD.

No I haven't compared with another screen, but I've read reviews and comments on all them before making my decision. I'll check the power plug on the Asus this evening. However I don't have an adapter, just a cord straight from the monitor plug to the outlet.
Most power adapter are in the Monitor itself. If i remember right then the noise happens if you turn down the brightness.
I picked up another of those hoping it wouldn't have backlight leaks like my first one but it is even worse with it. Also the new one has a speck of dust or some imperfection in the middle of the screen.

I wonder if I would be better with some semi glossy or glossy IPS screen.
Could be Full HD or WQHD.
Try the BenQ i have the previous model (GW2450HM) and i have no backlight leaks at all.

Last edited:
ok so I did some tests with movies. It's true, theres a quite a bit of backlight leak. That's a rather new phenomenon to me, as my current display (Syncmaster 193P) has absolutely none. I must say this is rather disappointing. I don't know if it's partially fixable simply by changing the settings.

Also, I wasn't really pleased with the default modes. There's not really a good mode for movies. The supposedly theater mode has very cold colors. And I find the menu to change the settings rather complicated to use.

And one more question. Is it normal that a 720x400 xvid or x264 encoded movie looks like crap in fullscreenmode? Even when I lower the resolution to 1280x720 it still looks worse than on my syncmaster which is at 1280x1024.. many artefacts, grainy, etc..

Strange on the prad.de review they say that this monitor has good default color settings.
Are the backlight leaks on you monitor worse than on this picture (prad.de backlight leaks test) here?

ausleuchtung-1.jpg

And this is the BenQ GW2760HS prad.de backlight leak test:

schwarz1.jpg

Last edited:
I would say the backlight leak looks similar. And I also specifically went for this monitor because of the claimed very good presets.. hence the disappointment. but I'll try to work something out.

I would try out the BenQ GW2760HS i have the BenQ GW2450HM and i cannot see any backlight leaks if i watch a drak movie in a drak room, and the BenQ GW2760HS is also 80&#8364; cheaper. :)
What's also strange is that they say that the BenQ and the Asus supposedly have the same Panel but they have different colors in the prad.de backlight leak test. :confused:

Last edited:
Hmm DEAD is mentioning black crush in his review and from what i understand it's not the normal MVA color shift which wouldn't bother me (after 6 years of using such panel) but actual losing shades of dark colors.

Can anyone confirm ? Does prad review mention anything ?

NCX will you be reviewing that Crossover 2755 ? I think at the moment it's my favourite just need to if scaler and multi inputs add much lag.

The review by DEAD is rather enthusiast and places the Asus as the best VA panel. However I can only agree with the "can not arrange" part of the conclusions:

presets are useless
uneven backlight brightness (he says it's however not very different from the Samsung and BenQ)
poor packaging

It looks like it should be good after many settings modifications, which I haven't had the time to do yet. I also bought this screen for the presumably great factory presets, so that's a huge disappointment.

I wouldn't mind some settings suggestions.

Also could someone please answer my previous question? Is it normal that a 720x400 xvid or x264 encoded movie looks like crap in fullscreenmode? Even when I lower the resolution to 1280x720 it still looks worse than on my syncmaster which is at 1280x1024.. many artefacts, grainy, etc..

There's lot more to video quality then resolution.

If encoding is set to low bandwidth to get small file then quality will be bad and from 720x400 -> you are creating almost 3 pixels from information about one (and even then it's actually less information due to compression)

As bare minimum you need 480p source imho but it's better to not go below 720p

I agree with Lebowsky. Also, no one seems to be testing this with a DP cable, which is where I got most problems. And by reading reviews on amazon, I've seen few people lamenting the same problem with the power adapter that I've experienced with this monitor (buzzing when rotating/tilting/pivoting).

Honestly, between the Asus, the Benq and the Samsung, I'd pick the latter, which was perfect perfomance-wise. The only negatives is probably the plasticky feel and the lack of DVI-D. The height, which people made a big fuss about, was strangely ok, at least on my small desk.

Last edited:
Did you choose to keep it kossair or did you give another model a try in the end? You said you appreciated the colors a lot (iirc), do you remember some of your settings, or did you use preset modes?

I haven't heard any noise, but I haven't really played that much with the brightness. I used display port as well as hdmi, haven't seen any difference.

Last edited:
I long returned it and got a refund too. I did use the Standard preset with custom colors, but I can't rember the settings. To my eyes, it looked amazing, maybe a bit too blackish.

I've got my third Benq today and I'm in love again! Unfortunately it has one stuck red pixel and a defective one, both of them near the center of the screen. Needless to say it's going back. Sigh.

I'm seriously considering about getting a tv like the Samsung 32F5000. I will also be using it with consoles, so that could be the best for me...Who knows.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any review that tested how fast this TV is and if it is also PWM free.
At hdtvtest.co.uk they say that this TV (300&#8364;) has full LED backlight but i doubt that. :)
If you already got refunded, then it won't hurt to also test the Samsung 32F5000.

Last edited:
I have no idea if it uses PWM and I'm pretty sure that it's just an edge led...Should be 8 bit though. Also, input lag is 28ms and supports full 4:4:4 reproduction for PC use. It is quite tempting at that price...

I long returned it and got a refund too. I did use the Standard preset with custom colors, but I can't rember the settings. To my eyes, it looked amazing, maybe a bit too blackish.

I've got my third Benq today and I'm in love again! Unfortunately it has one stuck red pixel and a defective one, both of them near the center of the screen. Needless to say it's going back. Sigh.

I'm seriously considering about getting a tv like the Samsung 32F5000. I will also be using it with consoles, so that could be the best for me...Who knows.

Try 32" Sony W65x.
I've seen only 42" version on test but it had smallest input lag among TVs.

OT- it's a pity that higher end Sony TVs don't have 32" model - W800 and above use system similar to lightboost but they are too big for desktop.

Not too mention that Sony is rather expensive...

I don't really care about lightboost or an higher refresh rate, because I mostly game on consoles and occasionally on my PC.

Gonna give another look at the Samsung tv later today and we'll see...

The Asus seems like the 27" 1080p monitor to get.
I guess that there will not be a 30" (2560x1600) variant of this monitor.

I think I'll resell it. Unfortunately I had convinced myself so much this was gonna be my new montior that I purchased from a place where they had it in stock, but won't take it back as it has no technical defect. And even, they would only replace it, no refund.

I did some tests in a totally dark room. The Asus really does have bad backlight bleed in all corners. Well, I think from what I read it's actually rather normal, but comparing to my Samsung 193P it's just unbearable to watch a movie like this!

Here are a few picture to illustrate:

VN279, colorful scene:

asus1.jpg

VN279, darker scene:

asus2.jpg

VN279, movie end credits just before text appears:

asus3.jpg

193P, dark scene:

193p1.jpg

193P, movie end credits just before text appears:

193p2.jpg

The pictures might exaggerate the effects a little, but in relative comparison, it's a rather faithful representation of what I am feeling when watching a movie on those two monitors.

I think the 193P is gonna stay for a few more years...

Íf you sold your Asus then you can try out the BenQ GW2760HS it's also only 250&#8364; but this time buy it where you get your money back if you return it. ;)

Back