asus vh242h or vw246h or other?

my previous lcd monitor was the dell 2007wfp with an S-IPS panel. i really liked the colors, the viewing angles but it was okay in games... if i look really close i could see a tiny bit of ghosting/blurring comparing to CRT.

i really dont want to spend alot on lcd so i want to limit my budget to $250 or below if possible. in newegg i could see that asus vh242h and vw246h are popular choices. im more geared toward photography so i like to have accurate colors. i have a 1080p capable dslr so i would like a monitor thats cable of 1980x1080 resolution. i also game for fun but not like hardcore gamers.

do either of these two monitors surpass the performance of the old dell 2007wfp (s-ips panel) that i had? whats your suggestion?

Should be able to score a VW266H (16:10) for a little more than $250. I think they were $280 at Newegg after MIR last I saw (72-hour sale?). The 24" displays are 16:9, right?

I'm not sure what the differences are, but I have a VW266H. I prefer 16:10. I'm very happy with it. Vertical viewing angles are pretty bad, but it's a large TN, so that's nothing surprising, and I'm not bobbing up and down when I'm using it.

how are the colors on the TN panels nowadays? do they come close to IPS after adjustment or dont even come close?

I'd stay away from TN panels for any kind of photography work, personally. You could have a TN screen that a colorimeter would show to have perfectly accurate colors but their poor vertical viewing angles would still make it useless for any serious work with colors. I highly doubt you would be happy with either of those monitors for what you do, especially after owning an IPS screen.

I'd stay away from TN panels for any kind of photography work, personally. You could have a TN screen that a colorimeter would show to have perfectly accurate colors but their poor vertical viewing angles would still make it useless for any serious work with colors. I highly doubt you would be happy with either of those monitors for what you do, especially after owning an IPS screen.

This guy forgets to mention that VA panels are even worse for doing any kind of color work due to black crush effect which is worse than TN panel viewing angles.

Tired of these IPS spammers in every thread. There are no good IPS panels out for under $1000. No the Dell 2209wa isn't good. It has severe factory gamma issues that you can't fix without a calibration unit that costs more money than the actual monitor. The NEC ea231wmi is also crap because it's tiny and has the worst anti-glare coating I've ever seen on a monitor.

This guy forgets to mention that VA panels are even worse for doing any kind of color work due to black crush effect which is worse than TN panel viewing angles.

Tired of these IPS spammers in every thread. There are no good IPS panels out for under $1000. No the Dell 2209wa isn't good. It has severe factory gamma issues that you can't fix without a calibration unit that costs more money than the actual monitor. The NEC ea231wmi is also crap because it's tiny and has the worst anti-glare coating I've ever seen on a monitor.
I never said VA panels were good for color work, did I? :confused:

Don't know what you're on about with this "IPS spammers" business but although the 2209wa has its problems, it is still a better monitor for doing color work than any TN panel out there imo. I don't even see how would a TN panel, especially that big, be good enough for color work when you have different contrast/gamma at the top and the bottom of the screen regardless of your viewing position.

Personally, if I was you who is into photos, I would save up and spend the extra for a Dell U2410 24" with the 1920x1200 resolution. I feel it's no sense you go with a Dell 2209WA 22" which has the same resolution as your Dell 2007WFP 20". The only thing your gaining is just 2" in screen size. You won't regret the purchase. I doubt you will say: "Shucks, I should have just settled for the cheaper ASUS TN panels" If you said you're more geared toward gaming vs photos, then I would say it's ok to get that ASUS monitor. I myself have an ASUS, HP, Gateway and Hanns-G TN monitors. But, I am not into photos or a photoshop user. If I was, I would get 2 x U2410 24" , 1 x Dell U2711 27" or a 30"

I would go for it dude. Then, run dual display with your existing Dell 2007WFP and have the Dell 20" in portrait mode while the 24" is in landscape mode. This way, you can view the pictures in landscape or portrait. Do you still have the 20" 2007WFP? If not, then forget what I said about running dual display.

Last edited:
Personally, if I was you who is into photos, I would save up and spend the extra for a Dell U2410 24" with the 1920x1200 resolution. I feel it's no sense you go with a Dell 2209WA 22" which has the same resolution as your Dell 2007WFP 20". The only thing your gaining is just 2" in screen size. You won't regret the purchase. I doubt you will say: "Shucks, I should have just settled for the cheaper ASUS TN panels" If you said you're more geared toward gaming vs photos, then I would say it's ok to get that ASUS monitor. I myself have an ASUS, HP, Gateway and Hanns-G TN monitors. But, I am not into photos or a photoshop user. If I was, I would get 2 x U2410 24" , 1 x Dell U2711 27" or a 30"

I would go for it dude. Then, run dual display with your existing Dell 2007WFP and have the Dell 20" in portrait mode while the 24" is in landscape mode. This way, you can view the pictures in landscape or portrait. Do you still have the 20" 2007WFP? If not, then forget what I said about running dual display.

no but i wish i still have the 2007wfp... im such an idiot for selling it. however i didn't like the screen door effect and the slight blurriness in gaming. my eyes were at least 2 ft away from that monitor.

but hey... any decent TN panel monitor is better than my 14" dell vostro laptop right? this laptop lcd im using now is not even bright enough. im always tilting the lcd and adjusting my head to get a good view lol...

That's true man. Well.. speaking from my personal experience owning an ASUS LCD, I am happy with it. It doesn't have the blueish tint that my other HP TN panels have. I notice the Samsungs and HP tend to have the blueish tint. 2MS GTG response time, you shouldn't see any ghosting. I play UT3 which is a high fps game and I don't notice any motion blur on it. Plus, I don't see any image tearing in games. I do notice some image tearing on my HP W2207H.

That's true man. Well.. speaking from my personal experience owning an ASUS LCD, I am happy with it. It doesn't have the blueish tint that my other HP TN panels have. I notice the Samsungs and HP tend to have the blueish tint. 2MS GTG response time, you shouldn't see any ghosting. I play UT3 which is a high fps game and I don't notice any motion blur on it. Plus, I don't see any image tearing in games. I do notice some image tearing on my HP W2207H.

awesome! thanks for your input

Here's my review of the Asus VK246H (same as VW246H with built-in webcam) if you wanna check it out. It's rather extensive. In addition to play testing with Fallout 3 and Far Cry 1; I recently started playing X2 - The Threat on it for a short time just for fun. It's connected to my HDTV, not my primary PC; I wanna try and play it on my HDTV once I get a gamepad and configure the controls properly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54250-3-asus-vk246h-review-final-update

Here's my review of the Asus VK246H (same as VW246H with built-in webcam) if you wanna check it out. It's rather extensive. In addition to play testing with Fallout 3 and Far Cry 1; I recently started playing X2 - The Threat on it for a short time just for fun. It's connected to my HDTV, not my primary PC; I wanna try and play it on my HDTV once I get a gamepad and configure the controls properly.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54250-3-asus-vk246h-review-final-update

thanks it was a good read... i think i shouldn't be looking at TN panels.

Nope you shouldn't. If you can afford a DSLR camera, you can afford a $500 monitor hehe. I have a TN panel and an old Sony 19" 8bit P-MVA panel or S-PVA .It's one of them. When it comes to certain photos, I can never get any of the TN panel adjusted in color to match it. If I try to make it as close as possible on the photo image, my google homepage looks either red or blueish. Most people don't upgrade a monitor unless they want to go larger in size. But, if you got a good 24" IPS display with 1920x1200 resolution like the Dell U2410, more than likely you won't have a need to upgrade the monitor for a long time.

Back