ASUS VG278HE - 144Hz

Let us know what you guys think of them when you get them in.

Will do! I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU...I dont know if a 6970 is going to cut it anymore! :x

I just watched a video preview of this monitor on Youtube and it says AMD cards dont support 144hz yet!?? :(

Vega confirmed the EDID does not exceed the 330 MHz pixel clock limit, so it should work fine.

Last edited:
I wonder what timing parameters are defined in the EDID. 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz using the CVT-RB timing standard exceeds 330 MHz, which means it won't work with AMD drivers without modification. Last I heard, Vega was using my modified driver available here: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?270-Modified-AMD-ATI-driver-to-allow-higher-refresh-rates

You might be able to get 144 Hz to work without the modified driver by playing with the timing parameters to get the pixel clock below 330 MHz using my custom resolution utility: http://www.toastyx.net/cru-preview.zip

One possibility is to reduce the vertical blanking to 20:

Horizontal: 1920 48 32 80 160 2080
Vertical: 1080 3 5 12 20 1100
144 Hz / 329.48 MHz pixel clock

So...what button do I press? :confused: LOL! I have no idea what you just said...I'm not a big monitor guy...

Nvidia's newer betas have the same 330Mhz pixel clock limit, only we have no custom drivers.

FYI this monitor can run at 150 Hz using custom timings. :D

If it wasn't smooth enough....

Think I'm going to pick this up from best buy :) since I can just take it down the street and return it if I don't like it.. That and right now it's almost 200 less then the Samsung S27A950D. You going to post those custom timings :).. Can you tell any difrence in it running it at 150?

It's around a ~4% overclock which won't really be noticeable but they all add up. :D

150 Hz is the limit with AMD cards, NVIDIA is limited to only 149 Hz due to the now enforced 330 MHz pixel clock limit on DVI.

Soo...I've been tracking my FedEx package, which was scheduled to get here yesterday...This monitor actually shipped from a town about 15 minutes away from me, got picked up by fedex, went downtown Chicago, about 30 minutes away from me, got picked up again, and now is in a facility in Indiana, about an hour away from me...wtf?? My tracking number went from saying Status:ON TIME : Delivery expected on Aug 31, to Status: ON TIME : Delivery expected Sept 4...How is it still on time if they changed the delivery date!? haha... and to top it all off, i called fedex and asked if I can pick the package up and they said not on the weekends, and monday they are closed for the holiday...

One thing I am having a bit of difficulty is games using the 149/150 Hz settings. In Win 7 it works fine. Create a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel. Select it. On the Asus monitor information on the OSD it confirms 150 Hz. But when I go into a game, they all act differently. In Guild Wars 2, only 144 Hz shows up. I haven't found a way for it to recognize the "custom" resolution and include it as a selection. In BF3, 150 Hz is select-able, but when I change it to that the Asus still says its running at 144 Hz. So something is preventing both games from utilizing the custom resolution and forcing it "down" to 144 Hz even though Win 7 desktop runs it just fine.

I've noticed that if the resolution and refresh rate of a game matches the desktops, if you ALT-TAB in and out it's very quick and seamless as the monitor doesn't have to change any sync. If they are different, say the desktop at 150 Hz and the game at 144 Hz, the monitors screen goes black for a couple of seconds when it swap. Anyone know how to get games to force use the custom resolution/refresh rate?

Think I'm going to pick this up from best buy :) since I can just take it down the street and return it if I don't like it.. That and right now it's almost 200 less then the Samsung S27A950D. You going to post those custom timings :).. Can you tell any difrence in it running it at 150?

is this available at normal best buys now? Not on their site, just their business one

is this available at normal best buys now? Not on their site, just their business one

Business site only for now, but the retail stores will take returns from BBFB. Also, a nice thing is you can buy their warranty and take them to any BB store, usually you can get store credit.

Can anyone (Vega?) comment on image quality differences between this and the Samsung S27A750D or S27A950D?

And do you notice a difference between 120fps and 144-150fps?

The Samsung's use the same panels so the image quality should be the same.

I do notice the difference between 120 FPS/Hz versus 144+ FPS/Hz but it's not a huge difference like the jump from 60 to 120.

I do notice the difference between 120 FPS/Hz versus 144+ FPS/Hz but it's not a huge difference like the jump from 60 to 120.

So S27A950D and this Asus have same panel?

How do they compare to the S23A700D?

So my understanding is that all the Samsung have about 12ms input lag while the Asus and Benq have 4ms input lag?
How does the XL2420T Benq flag ship compare to S23A700D if I can only make "poor mans" calibration as I do not own one of those fancy calibrators.

So I guess for competitive gaming the Asus is the best if it has same input lag as the Benq

What about if I move from a LG 2560x1600 30" @ 60Hz to this Asus 144Hz will it be a huge difference? :confused:

All of the Samsung "ultra-clear" panels are designed the same so they have virtually identical image quality properties. With the 144 Hz Asus out, there is no reason to get the BenQ.

As for the 1600 P monitor, you would lose some screen size and you would halve your pixel count. But you would increase your pixel response time and refresh rate tremendously. That trade off is completely subjective. I have had many 30" 1600P monitors and while the resolution is nice, I could never be happy with the 60 Hz, slow pixel response times and the horrid anti-glare that comes with those panels.

With ToastyX's help and CRU.exe program, I was able to get 149-150 Hz working perfect for Win 7 and every game now:

http://120hz.net/showthread.php?270-Modified-AMD-ATI-driver-to-allow-higher-refresh-rates

The settings:

Asus149-1.jpg

Asus149-2.jpg

All of the Samsung "ultra-clear" panels are designed the same so they have virtually identical image quality properties. With the 144 Hz Asus out, there is no reason to get the BenQ.

As for the 1600 P monitor, you would lose some screen size and you would halve your pixel count. But you would increase your pixel response time and refresh rate tremendously. That trade off is completely subjective. I have had many 30" 1600P monitors and while the resolution is nice, I could never be happy with the 60 Hz, slow pixel response times and the horrid anti-glare that comes with those panels.

Well if the input lag is same on the Benq and the only difference is 120hz vs 144hz then there is one reason price, here in sweden the Benq is 3200 while the Asus 144hz is 4200sek.

The BenQ has too much ghosting to be considered on the same level as the Samsung and Asus models, their colours are much better than the BenQ's too. The only reason to buy the BenQ is if one hates glossy screens or can't afford the 27" Asus.

The BenQ has too much ghosting to be considered on the same level as the Samsung and Asus models, their colours are much better than the BenQ's too. The only reason to buy the BenQ is if one hates glossy screens or can't afford the 27" Asus.

Ah, I read youre review of the Benq and was under impression after calibration it is the best display of them all?

I love my glossy S23A700D as it makes colors look vivid and black looks wery black.

So all 23" and 27" Samsung and this Asus use same panel?

So in that case I won't be dissapointed with the colors and image quality on the ASUS VG278HE?

The benq has then least colour dominance after calibration (250$ i1 display pro or Spyder 4 elite required) but it still looks worse due to the grainy matte coating and it has enough ghosting to defeat the purpose of switching from a 60Hz display imo.

Samsung uses their own TN panels while BenQ & Asus use AUO TN's in their 120Hz displays. It doesn't matter if displays use the same panel since the electronics will vary between brands.

Vega said his 750D has better colours than the Asus, the 700D likely will too.

Yes the Samsung Ultra-Clear line has better perceived colors and blacks due to being glossy. You have to balance image quality with the reflections you get from a glossy panel. The Samsung's do look better than the Asus but you get no glare/reflections on the Asus and the matte anti-glare isn't as hideous as those found on LG IPS panels. I find the trade-off acceptable.

The benq has then least colour dominance after calibration (250$ i1 display pro or Spyder 4 elite required) but it still looks worse due to the grainy matte coating and it has enough ghosting to defeat the purpose of switching from a 60Hz display imo.

Samsung uses their own TN panels while BenQ & Asus use AUO TN's in their 120Hz displays. It doesn't matter if displays use the same panel since the electronics will vary between brands.

Vega said his 750D has better colours than the Asus, the 700D likely will too.

Is not the S23A750D and S23A750D the same exact display with only the inputs being the difference, or do they have different panels thus giving different colors and image quality?

Yes the Samsung Ultra-Clear line has better perceived colors and blacks due to being glossy. You have to balance image quality with the reflections you get from a glossy panel. The Samsung's do look better than the Asus but you get no glare/reflections on the Asus and the matte anti-glare isn't as hideous as those found on LG IPS panels. I find the trade-off acceptable.

I think this is subjective to the user, I have wery dark room and appreciate my Glossy TN over my matte anti-glare 23" ips, then again my ips display are from 2009 so much could have happened with matte anti-glare displays in 2012.

Are there any negative effects to overclocking the monitor to 149Hz? Like a shorter life span. Or maybe a negative effect on image quality.

I highly doubt 4% refresh rate increase is going to affect anything.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is not the S23A750D and S23A700D the same exact display with only the inputs being the difference, or do they have different panels thus giving different colors and image quality?

They probably use the same panel but have different electronics & slightly different colours.

The VG278HE can be found for as low as 470$ in Canada. I would wait for Memory Express to get it since they beat any price by 25% of the price difference.

http://www.shopbot.ca/m/?m=asus vg278he

Oh yeah forgot VEGA,

I do play a mix of computer games...not only FPS...right now I have BF3, Witcher 2, Spec ops, Dragon Age Origins, and few others in my backlog....I'm usually pretty open to computer games and not tied to only one category....let me know if I will still benefit from this monitor

Thanks

NCX did you ever try overclocking the S23A700D?

Oh yeah forgot VEGA,

I do play a mix of computer games...not only FPS...right now I have BF3, Witcher 2, Spec ops, Dragon Age Origins, and few others in my backlog....I'm usually pretty open to computer games and not tied to only one category....let me know if I will still benefit from this monitor

Thanks

Well the best is to use the display and make a judgement, imo these modern TN panels are amazing, it's almost same colors and image quality as my IPS display.
For me the dealbreaker is the 120hz, it is so much better for gaming, period!
It feels smooth, objects don't loose image due to fast movement, amazing!

I have only owned the S23A700D TN 120hz panel, but looking at comments this Asus is 144hz and similar colors and image quality.

Last edited:
Back