ASUS VG278HE - 144Hz

yeah they've been in stock in the uk for almost a week now with no signs in the states, sitting here with my CC ready to order the minute they show up. if not here by end of the month I'll just order from the uk!

the monitor looks really nice but its still a TN panel... and $500+ pricetag
waiting for some reviews..

Does this monitor come without the glasses and if so, is it priced less than the 120hz version?

Does this monitor come without the glasses and if so, is it priced less than the 120hz version?

Yes, and yes. It's still pricey though, Scan has it listed at $508 so I'm guessing it'll be around $480-500 once the big US retailers have it. Just a guess though.

Wow, haven't been checking the display market for quite a while, 144Hz o_O Would be nice if they could offer a 24" and without glasses though, don't like spending that much on a LCD screen, whatever panel used. At the same time it's tempting to upgrade my ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz 1680x1050.

this monitor being available in the uk and aus but not in the states is making me emo as hell lol.

I ordered this monitor to test out from Overclockers Uk. Actually came out to be only $646 shipped to the US. That's around $30 more than the 120H version shipped from Newegg!

DHL takes around 3-4 days from Europe.

I ordered this monitor to test out from Overclockers Uk. Actually came out to be only $646 shipped to the US. That's around $30 more than the 120H version shipped from Newegg!

Trust in Vega to try out some new shit. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about it.

This monitor is very tempting... But the gamma shift in dark games will suck big time. Unfortunately.

Can't wait to hear what you think.. Depending on which one you like better is the one I'm getting. Starting back to school and none of the programs we use for my CCNA or online class will let my scale them on my 3007hc so it's running at 1280x800 just so I can read stuff lol. So going back to 1920x1200 on a 27inch so my old eye's can see.

It's the same panel, just with 144 Hz electronics versus 120 Hz. So the HE version will be better. Might as well order it. ;)

Of the 144 Hz version? I've only found reviews of the 120Hz version. But they did say it's pretty much the best 3D monitor. Very fast, no input lag to speak of and zero cross-talk. So the 144 Hz version can only be better!

I'll do a comparison video of the two side by side, Samsung S23A750D vs 144Hz Asus.

Can you use your SMT Tool 2.0 and do an input lag test too? The Samsung 700 & 950's have 13ms of input lag @120hz. I read somewhere than the S27A750D was 4ms vs a CRT when measured with the SMT Tool 2.0, but I can't remember where.

Maybe it doesn't matter since the 750D's aren't really available any more

Can you use your SMT Tool 2.0 and do an input lag test too? The Samsung 700 & 950's have 13ms of input lag @120hz. I read somewhere than the S27A750D was 4ms vs a CRT when measured with the SMT Tool 2.0, but I can't remember where.

Maybe it doesn't matter since the 750D's aren't really available any more

Ya, the 120 Hz version of the Asus has practically zero input lag according to a few reviews like Prad and Digitalversus. I'd expect the 144 Hz version too also.

Vega I watched some of your youtube videos. Pretty intense setup you have there. I noticed you previously had 4 GTX 680 in quad SLI. Why the change to Corssfire with the 7970's? Love your work with the 5 monitor de-bezeling! Cant wait for your review of the VG278HE.

Vega I watched some of your youtube videos. Pretty intense setup you have there. I noticed you previously had 4 GTX 680 in quad SLI. Why the change to Corssfire with the 7970's? Love your work with the 5 monitor de-bezeling! Cant wait for your review of the VG278HE.

a) Vega seems incapable of sitting on a setup for more than ~1 week :D
b) He said the 680's 256bit memory bus couldn't handle 5x1080p the way the 7970's 384bit bus could. Plus 3GB of VRAM (I believe he dropped the 680's before any real 4GB versions had surfaced). Oh, and I think when he swapped he was going for 5x1440p as well, a dream he has given up on due to lack of GPU power (nothing that currently exists can sustain 120FPS in demanding games at that res :p).

I'm hoping we get good feedback on this LCD soon. I see that NCIX has them listed as in-stock/special item already.

So I'm very tempted to buy one to "see" if it's any good. I'll probably wait until next wenesday then order.

(I'm in Canada so these are two canadian stores/warehouses)
522$CAD - NCIX
510$CAD - My Taknology

From experience those two websites use the same warehouses. (Stock numbers also match).

EDIT:I just realised hardforum is screwing with my link for NCIX. I'll post up a short url

EDIT2: wow.. seems i'm either retarded or tinyurl is also blocked. just go NCIX. com + VG278HE search...

Last edited:
Got this bad boy in. I will post some thoughts after a gaming session tonight versus the Samsung 120Hz but I've already noticed web pages are a bit easier to read when smooth scrolling. Some panels like IPS it's almost impossible to read when smooth scrolling text as the pixels change so slowy.

cant wait to see how you feel about it! Im debating selling my samsung for this thing :)

Could you let us know if switching between refresh rates is fast/slow?

I ask because switching between 100hz and 120hz (for video content) takes a good 6-7 seconds on my AW2310.

Thanks,

I can answer that Q for the vg236he, which uses the same basic firmware, just older. Switching from 120<->100 takes a fraction over 1 second.

Depends on the video. I keep the refresh rate a multiple of the video fps rate.

(which is why I'm assuming they chose 144hz, 24hz more then 120. Because "most" videos in America are 24fps (well 23.97).)

Ordered mine from Best Buy today..was a bit more expensive but I had a $400 gift card! They have it for $529.99

Back