ASUS VG278H - The weirdest backlight bleeding I ever saw

I just got mine in today. Ordered from newegg in the US.

Thankfully no issues have shown up yet. 3d emitter works, no stuck pixels. No strange backlight bleed.

The colors were a bit jarring at first, felt much better after I turned the brighness from 90 to about 30.

Happy with the performance, feels very smooth.

I just got mine in today. Ordered from newegg in the US.

Thankfully no issues have shown up yet. 3d emitter works, no stuck pixels. No strange backlight bleed.

The colors were a bit jarring at first, felt much better after I turned the brighness from 90 to about 30.

Happy with the performance, feels very smooth.

Hopefully it stays that way. Mine looked perfect on day 1. By day 3.. race track time!

When I first got the monitor, it had the oval shaped bleeding and it was pretty obvious.
I took a wait and see approach. It's been a few weeks now and I can't see it anymore.
Like some other posters mentioned, it seems to even out after a while.

So, it might be better to sit tight and see if it improves before RMAing it.

Well it has been a few weeks now since ASUS started taking monitors to check into this problem. Has anyone who had this issue gotten a new working one? Should I assume by the lack of new posts that this is a dead issue now? Forum posts have all but died out most everywhere I check, which seems like a good sign to me... I am hovering over the buy button right now :D

Well it has been a few weeks now since ASUS started taking monitors to check into this problem. Has anyone who had this issue gotten a new working one? Should I assume by the lack of new posts that this is a dead issue now? Forum posts have all but died out most everywhere I check, which seems like a good sign to me... I am hovering over the buy button right now :D

If you roll the dice let us know. I gave up on ASUS and bought a Samsung S27A950D. Quite honestly if VESA or Nvidia 3d 2 aren't your concern this monitor blows the ASUS away for 2d, colour and response. I'm happy I made the switch. For the amount I actually use 3d, I'm sure the proprietary system from Samsung will be more than enough for my needs at the moment.

good luck!

I was looking at the Samsung as well...

I was drawn to the ASUS because of the brightness for 3D viewing and how sweet the 120 in 2D was according to the reviews. Everyone seemed to be very impressed with the performance up until the 3rd-4th day when the oval of doom shows up.

Honestly I am not sure how much 3D I will be doing. I was looking forward to checking out a few movies and then seeing how some of my games looked with it. I think that the required headgear will end up being my 3D downfall, lol.

Since you bought the Samsung, does the base come off completely? I was confused because newegg has a wall mount deal with that monitor right now. If there are no VESA mount holes and the odd bezel does not come off why the heck would you bundle it with a wall mount...

I was looking at the Samsung as well...

I was drawn to the ASUS because of the brightness for 3D viewing and how sweet the 120 in 2D was according to the reviews. Everyone seemed to be very impressed with the performance up until the 3rd-4th day when the oval of doom shows up.

Honestly I am not sure how much 3D I will be doing. I was looking forward to checking out a few movies and then seeing how some of my games looked with it. I think that the required headgear will end up being my 3D downfall, lol.

Since you bought the Samsung, does the base come off completely? I was confused because newegg has a wall mount deal with that monitor right now. If there are no VESA mount holes and the odd bezel does not come off why the heck would you bundle it with a wall mount...

There is no VESA on the 950 and the base certainly doesn't come off. I believe most of the electronics are down below. Probably a big reason the panel itself is thinner than a penny ;)

The 750 I believe has the VESA but I'm not sure if that's a 9 series or not. The 750 only has display port and HDMI though, so you'll have to use different cables if you're use to using DVI-D. If you're not big into 3D, you may want to do a comparison of the 2 units if you can (ASUS and Samsung). The Samsung comes with a pair of glasses, and I found it online for 100 bucks cheaper than the current ASUS prices.

I was considering the Samsung as well, but here are the reasons why I went with the ASUS:

1. Connectivity - ASUS has VGA, HDMI 1.4 (PS3 compatible), Dual-link DVI.
Samsung has Displayport and HDMI but AFAIK, not 1.4 (i.e. can't use PS3).

So this really depends on whether you want to use your PS3 for 3D gaming / Blu ray.
This was one of the big motivating factors for me.

ASUS also has audio pass-through (stereo) for the HDMI port, although I just use the
optical audio on the PS3.

2. ASUS has adjustable stand and standard VESA mount holes. Samsung uses that weird looking proprietary stand and the panel is not detachable. No height adjustment. Power brick is also external.

3. ASUS has Nvidia 3D vision support. I happen to have a GTX 590. If you have an ATI card or are willing to tweak the Nvidia drivers, this may not matter.

4. ASUS is matte. Samsung is glossy. This is just personal preference.

Price, they are about the same, $600-700ish.

I was considering the Samsung as well, but here are the reasons why I went with the ASUS:

1. Connectivity - ASUS has VGA, HDMI 1.4 (PS3 compatible), Dual-link DVI.
Samsung has Displayport and HDMI but AFAIK, not 1.4 (i.e. can't use PS3).

So this really depends on whether you want to use your PS3 for 3D gaming / Blu ray.
This was one of the big motivating factors for me.

ASUS also has audio pass-through (stereo) for the HDMI port, although I just use the
optical audio on the PS3.

2. ASUS has adjustable stand and standard VESA mount holes. Samsung uses that weird looking proprietary stand and the panel is not detachable. No height adjustment. Power brick is also external.

3. ASUS has Nvidia 3D vision support. I happen to have a GTX 590. If you have an ATI card or are willing to tweak the Nvidia drivers, this may not matter.

4. ASUS is matte. Samsung is glossy. This is just personal preference.

Price, they are about the same, $600-700ish.

I know the 950's HDMI port is 1.4. I originally went with the ASUS myself for the VESA, I wasn't sure how this stand was going to work for me on the Samsung, but I figured I'd get a riser if it was a problem. The thing that is truly amazing is there 'magic' viewing angle adjustment. You can literally tilt the screen right back and still see it perfectly.

The 3d support for sure will be a deal breaker for folks looking for Nvidia support without 'fiddling' with emulation etc.

The Matte vs glossy was also an original selling point for me on the Asus. I'm glad i didn't let it stop me from trying the Samsung. I never even notice the gloss, and realized my old monitor was actually gloss as well lol. I tend to game and view movies with the curtains drawn though, so it's mostly a non issue with me to begin with.

The VESA issue had me going because of Newegg. I still don't get why they would bundle a useless monitor mount with a monitor you can't remove the base of :rolleyes:

I had not even considered the matte finish. That's actually more important to me than the 3D right now. Short of putting up blackout curtains there is a very uncomfortable amount of light from behind and/or the left of the monitor. Morning gaming, or worse yet sunset gaming was a huge pain with the TV I had been using for a monitor. That died about a month and a half ago and I have been using one of the 160$ Dell budget 24 inch monitors. The matte finish on that lets me play any time I want.

I guess that unless I can see them side by side I will go with the ASUS so long as the oval of doom is a thing of the past. I need to see if there is a local store with both that I can see and check viewing angles and glare.

I would also like to see them side by side but here in Richmond VA no stores seem to have any good monitors. I tried Sears, Bestbuy, Costco and Target and they all sell low end monitors.

Last edited:
i went ahead and purchased this monitor today on newegg, hopefully that oval shaped bleeding is gone now.

Asus owner from Finland reporting:
I've had mine for nearly two weeks now. No oval of doom in my screen. Just a little bleeding from sides.
Skyrim in 3D is amazing! :cool:

Hey guys, I had to return mine to Amazon last month due to the severe back light bleeding on mine. Since then Amazon been out of stock on this model and im not sure it's because of the problems of this model and they are waiting on a revision or not, Im really interested to give this monitor another go, has anyone heard anything about this model got fixed or not, is there any other 27" Nvidia 3D vision 2 monitor out there or coming out soon i should know about? i posted on Asus forums as well and it seems they wanna stay silent about the problems as i did not get any respond back from them.

Hey guys, I had to return mine to Amazon last month due to the severe back light bleeding on mine. Since then Amazon been out of stock on this model and im not sure it's because of the problems of this model and they are waiting on a revision or not, Im really interested to give this monitor another go, has anyone heard anything about this model got fixed or not, is there any other 27" Nvidia 3D vision 2 monitor out there or coming out soon i should know about? i posted on Asus forums as well and it seems they wanna stay silent about the problems as i did not get any respond back from them.

Maybe its just an issue with that particular model or a certain build date??
Hope you get it sorted out.
I have an older VH222H asus and have no issues with it.

Hi everyone, I am new here, and a new VG278H user. To abswer some questions if the problem has been solved, the answer is not.
My local retailer (Paris) received some new batches last week, and I got min last saturday (14th of Jan).
Apart other comments such as great 3D and bad film coming from a MVA panel, I also got the same issue as reported here:

1st day, very light glow:

3rd day, surprise!

So now I consider returning despite the stunning experience in Batman AC or Trine 2.
In few days, I understood I should expect it to disappear, but is it actually true now that the first persons who had the issue have it for a long time?

Thanks!

Anyone else wanna share their experience? it seems to me that the problems are permanent and wont get fixed until a future model.

man, this whole flat panel situation sucks just as bad as 6 years ago when I was buying my first one. I hoped that in 6 years bleeding issues would be resolved and a thing of the past...disappointing.

This one was also on my short list :( Still an ASUS fan though for their MOBOs and laptops.

I have three of them, none of the three have the oval backlight issue. All three of them were display models off the floor of GeForceLAN where they were launched. So essentially all three are from the first batch ever made.

img0388jl.jpg

BTW...3DnVSurround is amazing, but I can't wait till the next nvidia cards because 5760x1080 3d is a bit...ahem, demanding...

Last edited:
Got mine used off a guy that bought it new December 2011. No problems with the weird shadow. Works great, will take me time to calibrate. Not even close on colors when compared to my Sony FW900 CRT 24" Widescreen.

I got one today, will keep an eye on it.
Definitely can see the 120Hz advantage and coming from a 19" the screen is HUGE =)
Had to switch to "Scenery" mode and adjust the settings a bit to get vivid colours, will play around to get a nice balance for gaming/general use.
Have yet to try 3D, although I have an ATI card so won't get the full benefit.
So far so good, but the screen is obviously not perfect with some liveable bleeding and uniformity issues.

Anyone has any recommendations as to the settings or proper calibration?

Got mine used off a guy that bought it new December 2011. No problems with the weird shadow. Works great, will take me time to calibrate. Not even close on colors when compared to my Sony FW900 CRT 24" Widescreen.

when viewing a black screen in pure darkness, do you see any bleeding or is the screen uniform? while my model does not have the oval yet (just the 1st day) I definitely see bleeding, like the are brighter spots, mainly on the left and right edges. It's not really noticeable in normal use.
I'm just not sure whether this is acceptable or not, this being a TN panel.

I gave up on the whole 120hz TN panels for now as almost every 120hz monitor i tried had backlight bleeding/washed out colors/oversaturated color and the list goes on and on, I can tell u the best one i tried that at least didnt have any backlight bleeding was the Benq XL2420TX but it had other problems that i could not stand, I finally gave up on 120hz and moved to higher resolution panel, just ordered the Dell U2711 (2560x1440) and I would hope it lives up to the positives i hear about this panel.
Im not a professional FPS gamer so I prefer quality in picture more than 120hz and response time as Im mostly playing RPGs and Action Adventure games.

i pulled the trigger on one of these guys from Walmart the other day and i cancelled it this morning. i read an awful lot about the issues more so than anything positive. this sucks because i really wanted to try out the new tech and replace my existing lcd. i can't any localy where i can see the colors and maybe get an example of the quality. is the lightboost technology built into the monitor or the 3d kit?

Sorry for the bump of a somewhat old thread, just wanted to confirm this is also happening on my VG278HE that I purchased a couple of days ago.

Thanks everyone for posting these issues. I am in the market for a 120Hz monitor and this one was on my list as a possible candidate. But now I will take it off for sure!

Sorry for the bump of a somewhat old thread, just wanted to confirm this is also happening on my VG278HE that I purchased a couple of days ago.

I assume you purchased from somewhere in europe/uk? I was going to buy from somewhere across the pond (I'm in the usa), but now with these issues on the HE model, I guess I need to wait however long it takes to be available here in case I need to RMA it because of this issue, or buy a different monitor :(

Anyone know if there is another other 27 inch 120hz monitor with adjustable stand?

I assume you purchased from somewhere in europe/uk?
Yeah, OCUK.
However, I'm gonna hold onto it a few weeks and see if it sorts itself out like pretty much everyone else who held onto theirs in this thread.

It's such a nice monitor and does everything I want it to, so I'm just gonna wait it out. Will report back if it goes away.

Perfectly happy with my 278H that I got a few weeks ago. The 3D gaming is so much better on this compared to the 236H now that it's not as dark. Just check using a full black screen, no oval. This sounds like more of an issue with early models, I haven't seen any mention of this on other sites.

Hi all - sorry to resurrect this thread, but I really need your help and advice.

I just received this monitor on Wednesday (from Amazon UK) - was over the moon, It replaced an 8 year old Iiyama CRT which had got very tired.

The new beast was spot on - no bad pixels. IR emitter worked, really loved the 2d and 3d picture. You know what's coming - after 3 days the backlight oval appreared. At first it was visible only in dark scenes - now I can just see it even in bright games.

I see from this thread that some of you returned it, whilst some of you waited and found that the problem worked itself out(sometimes?).

So I have 2 questions:

For those who returned it straight away and got a replacement: were the replacements any better? (I recall one unfortunate customer getting 3 of these that were no better)

For those who waited: Did it in fact go away? If so - how long did it take?

Thanks in advance - just need to get a sense if I should return it to Amazon at once - or even walk away from this model altogether :(

Anyone remember how long their problem took to fade away - or if it did at all? (Bumped due to DSR time running out!)

Hi all - sorry to resurrect this thread, but I really need your help and advice.

I just received this monitor on Wednesday (from Amazon UK) - was over the moon, It replaced an 8 year old Iiyama CRT which had got very tired.

The new beast was spot on - no bad pixels. IR emitter worked, really loved the 2d and 3d picture. You know what's coming - after 3 days the backlight oval appreared. At first it was visible only in dark scenes - now I can just see it even in bright games.

I see from this thread that some of you returned it, whilst some of you waited and found that the problem worked itself out(sometimes?).

So I have 2 questions:

For those who returned it straight away and got a replacement: were the replacements any better? (I recall one unfortunate customer getting 3 of these that were no better)

For those who waited: Did it in fact go away? If so - how long did it take?

Thanks in advance - just need to get a sense if I should return it to Amazon at once - or even walk away from this model altogether :(

I bought the Asus VG278H from Amazon Germany and it also had the issues of backlight bleeding and the bright "glowing" edges especially at the bottom of the display. I waited 2 weeks and the backlight bleeding faded out but was still slightly visible. So i replaced it with another one from Amazon but the same problem still exists. I'm very disappointed of Asus. Thought this problem of backlight bleeding has been already fixed.

Does anyone know if BenQ XL2420T has similar problems?

Back