ASUS VG278H - The weirdest backlight bleeding I ever saw

Results from my THIRD VG278H.

Ok, here is the photo from the day of purchase (Nov 29):

P1030886.JPG

Then, 3 days later (Dec 2):

P1030888.JPG

Like a freaking clockwork! :mad:

This leads me to conclude that pretty much every single monitor is affected more of less. I can't believe ASUS let that slide...

Troub- are you saying that the problem just went away by itself after a while?

Yes it did first few days it looked like your picture at the bottem maybe even a little worse now its not there.

Look slike this now...

IMG_0079.jpg
[/IMG]

and

IMG_0068.jpg
[/IMG]

Results from my THIRD VG278H.

Ok, here is the photo from the day of purchase (Nov 29):

P1030886.JPG

Then, 3 days later (Dec 2):

P1030888.JPG

Like a freaking clockwork! :mad:

This leads me to conclude that pretty much every single monitor is affected more of less. I can't believe ASUS let that slide...

Troub- are you saying that the problem just went away by itself after a while?

Just wondering if yours started to even out or are you now onto a 4th?

Mine took around 5 days to even out and that's me using it everyday also with 3D on too.

Mine took around 5 days to even out and that's me using it everyday also with 3D on too.

I've been using mine since the 30th, so almost 5 days now. The first 2 days it was fine, and then poof.

This is what it looks like currently.... :mad:

yjMYG.jpg

Mine looked the same and was only getting worse... These pictures of the "evening out" of the backlight still look pretty bad. I really don't want a milky white black background. And how is this going to look in 6 months? What if it just keeps getting brighter and brighter?

Forget it. I just finished boxing the thing up to return it to Amazon. It certainly isn't worth $669.99... I was really looking forward to this monitor and was waiting patiently for 9 months now (since March 3 when it was announced). Asus really screwed up here. The big release of 3D Vision 2 with Nvidia and they couldn't even test for burn in/backlight issues? That's really sloppy.

Hopefully Dell comes out with an Alienware branded 27" 3D Vision 2 monitor that doesn't have any major flaws. I guess I'll probably have to wait 6 months or more. I'm never going to buy a monitor again before there is a lot of actual user feedback as opposed to cursory official reviews which never seem to find the real issues.

Maybe Asus will fix the next batch of this monitor. I certainly won't be getting it. Good luck to whoever takes the plunge. I sure didn't like the experience of unpacking everything. Hooking everything up and testing everything and then packing everything back up again... A good two days of my life wasted on nothing. At least Amazon made it easy to return and get a full refund. Here's some advice: Always buy big box items directly from Amazon or a local store like Fry's - they have the best return policies.

Mine is actually very black its the camera that makes it look bright.

Ya mine is darker too. I used my camera phone which made it look more blue. It's still the same visually, just a different hue.

The problem for me is I REALLY love this monitor when it's not on a dark scene. The colors and brightness are amazing. I've lost confidence in this batch though, so I'm stuck trying to figure out when they're get their act together and fix this issue in production.

I tried to find other 120hz 27inch 2ms and VESA mounting and I just can't find one for sale. I think there's an ACER available in the U.S. but I can't find a retailer in Canada who carries it.

Where are the Asus representatives now? Like I said I had a feeling that they would be Awol after a couple of months and back to their old ways. You have go to love Asus' customer service.

Did you guys know that when Planar let out a bad batch of SA2311w monitors that they cross-shipped the effected owners a new display? Thats the damn least that Asus should be doing for a $700 display. Have they so much as been in contact with anyone? Have they replicated this issue? Has it been resolved?

Edit: I forgot to post this Asus tech support evaluation. Its pretty accurate from what I've seen in the past.

Where are the Asus representatives now? Like I said I had a feeling that they would be Awol after a couple of months and back to their old ways. You have go to love Asus' customer service.

Did you guys know that when Planar let out a bad batch of SA2311w monitors that they cross-shipped the effected owners a new display? Thats the damn least that Asus should be doing for a $700 display. Have they so much as been in contact with anyone? Have they replicated this issue? Has it been resolved?

I'd love to hear from anyone at this point. No word from support. The retailer wants to charge me for shipping and 100 dollar restocking fee to even get a replacement? Quite the shenanigans. Hopefully Asus steps up and can do better than that sheesh!

I'd love to hear from anyone at this point. No word from support. The retailer wants to charge me for shipping and 100 dollar restocking fee to even get a replacement? Quite the shenanigans. Hopefully Asus steps up and can do better than that sheesh!

Which retailer is that?

Another thing that is indicative of poor quality....

Take a look at where the bottom of the LCD panel meets the bottom of the frame. It looks uneven, as if the bottom frame is warped.

Even with the problems, I enjoy watching 3D stuff on it. I was able to get rid of a majority of the crosstalk issues by lowering the 3D contrast to 50.

There's really nothing else on the market until Acer releases its 3D Vision 2 model. The 24" monitors are not big enough for me. Also, I'm really not a fan of TN panels but I have no choice.

Does ASUS actually have a customer relations department? They don't want to replace it but rather repair a brand new 700 dollar monitor. I swear I'll never buy another ASUS product again.. and EVERY machine I have is full of ASUS stuff. I'm done with them.

Does ASUS actually have a customer relations department? They don't want to replace it but rather repair a brand new 700 dollar monitor. I swear I'll never buy another ASUS product again.. and EVERY machine I have is full of ASUS stuff. I'm done with them.

Thats bullshit, you paid for a new working $700 monitor. You never received one.

Thats bullshit, you paid for a new working $700 monitor. You never received one.

Ya I know. Normally these companies have a customer relations department you can usually negotiate a different service for extreme cases like this. Heck, their customer service doesn't even have a 1 800 number. They actually gave me a long distance number to call them... really...

I may just bite the restocking fee and learn my lesson about Asus the hard way. I make a decent living. I build machines multiple times a year sometimes. That's money not going into their pocket anymore.

Cheers

I sent mine back to Amazon last week because of the same issues. At first my only complaint was the horrible color banding and washed out colors, no matter how much I tinkered with the settings. Lucky for me Amazon gave me a full refund.

I pulled the trigger and went with a Dell U3011 and couldn't be happier. It's not 120hz, but the image quality is fantastic and I don't notice any ghosting or lag in the games I play. I'm going to wait until some new 120hz tech comes out and from a more reliable company.

I sent mine back to Amazon last week because of the same issues. At first my only complaint was the horrible color banding and washed out colors, no matter how much I tinkered with the settings. Lucky for me Amazon gave me a full refund.

I pulled the trigger and went with a Dell U3011 and couldn't be happier. It's not 120hz, but the image quality is fantastic and I don't notice any ghosting or lag in the games I play. I'm going to wait until some new 120hz tech comes out and from a more reliable company.

Its still only 1080p, the Planar SA2311w is a great display. I wouldn't trade the higher refresh rate and especially 3d vision support for some more accurate colors personally.

Thanks for the info on the Planar, BababooeyHTJ. I guess I want the best of both worlds. Great image quality and speed. Not happening anytime soon from the looks of it. Everyone's eyes are different of course and I like image quality and the screen size of my new monitor more than 120hz and 3D.

Thanks for the info on the Planar, BababooeyHTJ. I guess I want the best of both worlds. Great image quality and speed. Not happening anytime soon from the looks of it. Everyone's eyes are different of course and I like image quality and the screen size of my new monitor more than 120hz and 3D.

Understandable, thats a massive difference in resolution and a higher pixed density than my 23" to boot, never mind the even colors. Thats no mid range IPS. I'm just a 3d vision fanboy. :p

Oh and the best of both worlds might not be too far off.

I had planned to buy one of these vg278h monitors, but with the issues that many people are having, I'm not sure if I should. I really want to get a 27" 120hz 3d monitor with since my 22" samsung is on its last legs. Should I buy this asus monitor anyway or do you guys have any other models to suggest? Not too worried about price, just want something great for gaming. I thought this ASUS had the best of everything I needed since it supported 3d, 120hz and was fairly large.

Understandable, thats a massive difference in resolution and a higher pixed density than my 23" to boot, never mind the even colors. Thats no mid range IPS. I'm just a 3d vision fanboy. :p

Oh and the best of both worlds might not be too far off.

That's some good info. I think I may just go with a 23inch for now and invest in one of the newer formats next year. I went back to my old 23 inch and I can't believe how blurry things are. I NEED to get another 120hz 2ms panel.

After 'working' with my vendor, they agreed to cover the cost of shipping back to them and wave the restocking fee finally. I'm just going to return the Asus and maybe pick up the planar for now. I found a place in Canada that is actually carrying them.

Quite odd and disappointing that there has been no comment from Asus about these issues.

Anyone with the bleeding issue had any contact with Asus on this? I checked the forums on their website and nobody there has gotten any answers on this yet... I saw that newegg had gotten them back in, and I had the cash set aside for this as of last week. I definitely don't want to pull the trigger until I at least see a post about someone who HAS had the thing for a week with no bleeding. I was hoping to see something from Asus about them fixing the problem with the "new" batch that went out. I am very tempted to wait until the end of January and just get a U3011 when I have more saved up. I am not interested in waiting any longer then that though.

I didn't hear about this halo issue on this monitor until I already had mine for about a week and had played a ton of Skyrim on it in 3D. I thought I saw the halo as described and shown in the pictures above but what I saw was no where near as severe. I cranked the brightest and contrast up to 100 each and looked over the monitor straight on and off to the side. Now another week later and lots more 3D gaming I can't really see what I observed the first time.

The backlighting on this monitor can't touch what my Samsung HDTV has but then again, my Samsung LED-backlit TV costs me about $2500 when I got it and I would expect it to be better.

I do not doubt there might be issues with this monitor but I am wondering if it is like what another poster said, that his problem went away, for the most part, after a couple weeks. Like I said, I didn't really know or look for this problem until I had the monitor for a week already but I thought I would chime in here. I really like how much better games look in 3D with Lightboost on and dropping the contrast to 50 does wonders for what little crosstalk I still had, while still keeping games bright. I do hope you guys get your issues all straightened out - either with refunds or better working monitors.

So, with very little trouble, I contacted ASUS support because of this issue and they had me run through several tests to correct the problem. Reset monitor, update graphics card driver, change DVI cable, attach to new computer.....all with no improvement. Contacted reseller support (EXcaliberPC.com) with the information and was issued a RMA number with no questions asked. Just this morning the replacement monitor arrived. Will connect it today and monitor the backlight bleeding issue. I will report back when I have any information which may be helpful to others.

Just came home from work and started the computer. VG278H is now beginning to show symptoms of the one it replaced. It currently looks like the second picture of post #17. If it doesn't get any worse, I'll keep it, but should the problem progress from here, I think this monitor will be going back and I'll have to wait until the issue is resolved.

That sucks to hear. How long did you keep the first one before sending it back? I guess I am glad I didn't hear about this until I had mine for a week before checking for that halo. I am going on week three and I don't notice anything like that still. troub might be right about it going away after extended use maybe.

Well it looks like ASUS has finally started to address the fact that there is an issue... I noticed in the reviews on newegg ASUS is actually leaving the following reply:

Manufacturer Response:
Dear Valued Customer,

We sincerely apologize for the issue you are experiencing with this monitor. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are seting up a test bed to duplicate this issue. Once we've duplicated this issue we will promptly find a solution and post it on our support page for this monitor, http://support.asus.com.

Sincerely,

ASUS Customer Support

Newegg is out of stock as of now, so if ASUS gets their act together and comes up with a fix for this I am going to jump on the next batch.

Anyone find the aspect ratio a bit wonky on a 27 inch at 1080p? I wasn't sure if there would be noticeable stretching.

Why would the Aspect Ratio be "wonky" ? It's still 16:9, so it should look alright.

Now, about the backlight bleeding problem. I've been waiting for this monitor for 6 months. I was about to buy it, until I found out about this.

I live in Romania, and the VG278H, hasn't hit the stores yet (it should be available before Christmas), so I'm hoping they'll ship a new batch, without these issues.

Arioch, are you from Europe? If so, maybe Asus is shipping a new batch of monitors in here, different from the ones in USA.

Arioch,

I kept my first one for about a week. When the Halo was still present and ASUS support suggested I RMA the monitor, I promptly did so. I will be closly watching my current monitor and the ASUS support page to see what they come up with. I have no doubt, however, ASUS will be able to replicate this issue as it seems to be consistent.

1. We offer APR service on this monitor and it will be replaced with a new monitor, not repaired. If a retailer or service is telling you any differently then please contact me.

VG278H -

1. We apologize for any troubles that users might have experienced with this monitor.
2. We offer APR and new replacement monitors for users in North America.
3. If you are having trouble with the monitor and are in the US or Canada, please send us email at mason_winner at asus.com with the heading, VG278H Problem - HOCP and we will contact you directly. At this point we will probably want to exchange monitors directly for a few users who had this problem develop over several days as we cannot replicate it with the samples out of the current lot.

Sincerely,
Gary

So, should I understand that only the US samples have this issue? Cause I'm about to buy one in Eastern Europe..

So, should I understand that only the US samples have this issue? Cause I'm about to buy one in Eastern Europe..

I would like to know this as well, is anyone here from Europe that has the monitor?

Nice support from Asus now though, showing up on a non official forum :)

Can somebody test how the screen settles when the stand is set to different angles? My buddy and I have looked at it, and it looks remarkably close to the shape of a retention plate. Could the retention mechanism be putting pressure on the screen?

I would like to know this as well, is anyone here from Europe that has the monitor?

Nice support from Asus now though, showing up on a non official forum :)

I'm in bonny Scotland and mine is fine. I got it 2 weeks ago, not sure if there's a batch number or such I could look for.:confused:

Back