Asus VG278H is coming soon!!!!

I really wanted this monitor but after seeing those pics of the backlight bleed, I just can't do it. I use a solid black background for my desktop and couldn't handle seeing that all day long. Looks like I'm going to hold out and see what the new BenQ XL2420T has to offer.

Moses

My amazon preorder is being overnighted as I type! Cannot wait till after work tomorrow!!!!!

The bleed is really not as bad as last the image I posted. I used extra exposure on the camera to highlight any imperfections. The image bleed looks like 5x the brightness of what the eye sees. I can only see some bleed after staring at the black background for 10+ seconds straight. Additionally, the picture was taken at 100% brightness- and this monitor is FREAKING bright. Which is a must for any good 3D monitor. I guess that requires a VERY bright backlight- which highlights any bleeding issues.

At 40% brightness the monitor is still as bright as my last Samsung at 100% and bleed is virtually imperceptible.

Overall, I'm enjoying this monitor a great deal. Perfect for gaming and amazing in 3D.

Last edited:
Really itching to order one. I think once I see a few more feed back posts it will tip the scale. Glad they are starting to ship.

Newegg Canada has them in stock now in addition to N CIX

Thanks for the heads up. I found them in stock there on their US side.

I had no interest in the 3d aspect of it untill I clicked that buy button. :D

Ok, I just got my Asus VG278H from Amazon today.

I'm replacing the Acer HN274H 3D 120HZ monitor which my son now gets and he's pretty stoked.

The big box they put the monitor in arrived pretty beat up. The Asus box came packed pretty well though, good thing.

I had a hard time finding the special screws for the base but they were in a little plastic bag hanging with a piece of tape to the white molded foam. So unpack carefully and look for them so you don't loose them.

There isn't a power brick, which is cool. However, the monitor did not like my power strip. it seems to be sensitive to were you plug it in or it won't come on. I plugged it into a beefier power strip that my PC uses and it liked that.

The monitor seems to be in good condition. No dead pixels.

At first, I thought the buttons were "touch sensitive" and the monitor wouldn't turn on, but they are actually underneath on the bottom.

Anyway, the CD doesn't seem to have any monitor drivers so its just detected as Generic PNP. You guys that are getting this monitor. I can set it to 1920X1080 DVI and 120HZ. You have to switch it to DVI to get 120HZ.

The monitor is very bright. I turned Brightness down to 40 and contrast to 50 and left colors were they were. However, its still not right and I'll have to figure out how to make it look good like I had my Acer.

The instruction sheet is pretty basic.

The adjustability of this monitor is awesome! I hated how the Acer would not adjust and it sat too low for me. I can set the monitor for perfect comfortable viewing.

Now off to play some games...

BF3 doesn't support Nvidia 3D Vision yet. It will only be supported in the next patch...

I have received my VG278H couple of days ago. It has a pretty bad backlight bleeding:

P1030874_small.jpg

Is this an isolated occurrence? Have any of you guys had a change to see the monitor in person and check the bleeding?

Just got my preorder from Amazon and the bleeding looks a lot like what's in this picture. Probably going to end up exchanging it because I keep noticing it.

Its a shame, ive been putting off buying a new monitor for months now because of the Asus VG278H, think ill end up buying the Benq XL2420T instead.

BF3 doesn't support Nvidia 3D Vision yet. It will only be supported in the next patch...

I have received my VG278H couple of days ago. It has a pretty bad backlight bleeding:

P1030874_small.jpg

Is this an isolated occurrence? Have any of you guys had a change to see the monitor in person and check the bleeding?

I bought one of these last week and I'm about to RMA it for a refund I think. At first I was going to ask for a replacement but it seems this current batch is just wonky.

Mine looked fine for 2 days, and then poof, I have a big oval race track in the middle of my screen when anything black is there. I'm on day 4 and it's just getting worse.

For the price of these monitors, it's really unacceptable.

Whats the verdict on the monitor those that have 0 problems? was it worth the wait?

there aren't many 27" 3d monitors, but acer 27" seems to have very good reviews compared to other brands.

So I have one, and despite all of it's shortcomings in the spectrum of being a "perfect" monitor, i will say it is probably the best monitor you can get for Battlefield 3 multiplayer, and i'll explain why.

The contrast is atrocious. With the colours corrected to the best of their ability (i have mine set to bright 65, cont 75, saturation 50, R 85, G77, B76) whites and greys still look kinda over exposed and washed out - but the colours are good.

With this being said, it makes it perfect for BF3 because you can actually see people hiding in shadows now. Best example is with my last monitor, caspian border, forest capture point, if somebody is hiding in a bush or shadow, I had no chance of seeing them, and i always got ganked. Now, i can actually see them hahahah.
In addition, i find the models in BF3 to be very small to BFBC2. I find it actually difficult to spot people on my 24 inch LG. With 1080p on a 27 inch screen, the size of the models feels more like it did in BFBC2 on my 24 inch screen, and now BFBC2 models look big and blocky and cartoony. Definitely an improvement for BF3.

Other than that, i'm loving the responsiveness and smoothness, both of which are an improvement over my LG as tested in Quake Live. I dont have any backlight bleeding issues yet, but we can wait and see. So far, i absolutely love it, the advantage the low contrast gives me in BF3 makes up for the fact that the contrast is crap hahahaha. :)

Definitely a gaming monitor, perfect for BF3. All the way. I feel as if Dice set up BF3 to be played on oversized 1080p monitors.

I bought mine for Christmas and within 3 days one of the backlights died. The backlight did not go out while I was using it - It was fine one day and the next day when I turned it on it was out. The day after another backlight died under the same circumstances. Asus offered to repair the monitor and emailed me a pre-paid shipping label to ship it to their LCD repair facility but due to other issues with this monitor I decided to send it back to Amazon and buy another brand monitor.

So I decided to purchase this monitor mainly because it was 27" and was 120 Hz. I didn't care so much about the 3D but thought it would be cool to try it out and figured it was a nice bonus. After hooking up the monitor the first thing I noticed was how incredibly bad the backlight bleeding was from the entire bottom of the monitor. My Gateway FPD2185W from 2005 / 2006 puts this monitor to shame in the backlight dept, and that's pretty sad. The Asus was intended to replace the Gateway... I calibrate all my monitors with an i1Display 2 colorimeter and dispcalGUI / Argyll CMS with Calibration Quality and Profile Quality set to high (using Large testchart for "curves & matrix" profiles), and strangely enough the Asus did pretty poorly after calibration. Due to the severe backlight bleeding colors were different at the bottom of the monitor than they were at the top of the monitor. After calibration the monitor did pretty poorly on the lagom LCD tests, especially when compared to the other 3 LCD monitors I own (all different brands), none of which are anywhere near this price range when they were new. The only real positive I can really give to the monitor was the fact that it was 120 Hz. Before the backlights died I played a few games and videos in 3D. Portal 2 was okay, but not very impressive for some reason - maybe it was the levels I happened to choose randomly from my saved games. Battlefield 3 was a much better experience but unfortunately, while the 3D did look pretty good it ultimately became a distraction - I'm not sure I can really put my finger on it but I was definitely playing worse with 3D turned on. I know the colors in 3D mode are muted / altered and the glasses don't exactly fit comfortably on your head with a pair of over-the-ear headphones (I use Sennheiser PC350's). I never tried 3D Vision 1 so I can't compare how much improved it is over the previous version. As for the 3D videos I watched (about two or three hours worth), some were more impressive than others, as you would probably expect. Also, I was a little annoyed that you could not just turn the 3D off mid-game. In order to turn it off I had to disable it in the nVidia control panel and then shut down the game and restart it - it refused to turn off even though I disabled 3D in the control panel and in the game settings until I actually quit and restarted the game.

Here are some pictures of the dead backlight (using a pure white screen) and the backlight bleeding (using a pure black screen). To get an accurate picture of the backlight bleeding I took pictures using many different exposure times with my Canon DSLR camera on a tripod until I was able to capture one that accurately showed the amount of backlight bleeding. Unfortunately, if your monitor is not calibrated it may just show up as a black screen (as it does on my monitor at work). Anyway, I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying this monitor. For the price Asus is asking the quality of this monitor is very very low. To replace this monitor I've decided to forgo 120 Hz and just go with IPS until OLED or another technology replaces what we currently have.

e7clN.jpg

C5Vv6.jpg

quite discouraging how many serious quality control issues so many "high end" (or just expensive) 27" monitors suffer from.

Got my monitor today, no dead pixels or bleed so far, black is black :)

Anyone got some good settings for the 2d mode?

The contrast is atrocious. With the colours corrected to the best of their ability (i have mine set to bright 65, cont 75, saturation 50, R 85, G77, B76) whites and greys still look kinda over exposed and washed out - but the colours are good.

Thanks for the settings, there are the best i have tried so far.

Is this thing IPS or something?

**Nevermind... it is a TN.

Includes nVidia Glasses, I am using Radeon.

Has no Display port.

A little weak on other features.

$700.00? Im just going to pull the trigger and get my $699.99 Panasonic PC-42ST30 (42" Active 3d Plasma Panasonic TV which will RAPE this thing)

Is this thing IPS or something?

**Nevermind... it is a TN.

Includes nVidia Glasses, I am using Radeon.

Has no Display port.

A little weak on other features.

$700.00? Im just going to pull the trigger and get my $699.99 Panasonic PC-42ST30 (42" Active 3d Plasma Panasonic TV which will RAPE this thing)

You do realize that the whole purpose of owning one of these monitors is to display 120 frames per second right?

A screen can do everything else very well, but if it does not display 120 frames per second, there is nothing to talk about.

Enjoy your 60 frames per second Panasonic Television - it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

This monitor seems to be discontinued, not available for purchase anywhere. Maybe they are fixing the current problems or making a new model.

NewEgg merely shows it as out of stock, not discontinued. Might be going through a revision or RTV (return to vendor) for fixes.

Spoke to Asus they have no idea why this monitor is unavailable or when and if it will ever be available. This monitor is the new big foot, just does not exist. Pretty sad that there is not one good 3D monitor on the market, Samsung does not count since it does not have Nvidia.

I just got my Asus VG278 from a guy that bought it in December.

I am very picky about monitors and use my Sony FW900 CRT 24" Widescreen for everything but surfing the web and 3D Gaming. For 3D Gaming I needed something that could do it all. I had the Alienware 120Hz AW2310 but with the new LightBoost technology it seemed like 3D gaming had finally arrived so I purchased the Asus VG278.

Mine has no weird screen burn in like I saw in pictures from the earlier release. I am very pleased with this model and really like that I can now game in 3D without taking a brightness hit.

Just before this I bought a Sony PS3 240Hz LED 3D 24" TV and tried it out with my PS3 and Xbox 360. The Asus does a much better job than the Sony so I took the Sony back and kept the Asus. I now have 1 HDMI that I plug into my 360 or PS3 depending on which I am playing. That is my only gripe is that it only comes with 1 HDMI 1.4 port. Also since this is not 1.4a only certain 3D games on the 360 work perfect on it. Halo Anniversary works perfect but Gears of War 3 will not work at all.

nVidia 3D Vision looks amazing on it but the new glasses from nVidia I actually think are less comfortable than the old nVidia glasses. I actually switch between the two since they work the same. Both glasses tend to put pressure on different points so by switching between the two I can get twice the gaming time in before my head hurts from the glasses. When is someone going to design 3D glasses you don't get sore from wearing?

I'm very happy about my purchase, i have had the monitor 3 weeks and no problems what so ever.

I bought mine in Norway, i know a few others that have bought the same monitor and none of them have the issues mentioned earlier in the thread.

Back