Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2: The Official Thread

Odd, I honestly think that mine is one of the better looking TNs that I've used. Given, I have bought some pretty shitty monitors in the past.
I have used about 15 different ones over the last couple years. this was by far the most annoying one to look at for just movies and regular daily use. again the 144 hz was great as that meant less tearing even in games where I could not get really high fps. 144hz was a beautiful site in a game like Dead Space 3. I literally just sat there panning around in different spots for over an hour since I was in awe. tbh though, 144 fps is only a dream as it will never happen for all games with current cpus no matter how much gpu power you throw at it. no matter what settings I lowered, I hit a cpu limited wall for many games way before 144 fps and in some cases well before 100 fps so all a faster gpu would have done was let me crank another setting or two or let me run higher AA. plus some games are wonky at high framerate or have caps that are not always easily to overcome. in the end it was nice to finally see 144hz but the rest of the screen quality was just too much of a sacrifice to make for a few games. come on oled monitors. lol

This is an inexpensive 120Hz monitor. It is meant for the budget minded people, rather than the people who want the best quality 120Hz.

People who want to enter the 120Hz world, should pay extra for a one of the better 27" models. There are much-higher-quality 120Hz monitors available, including the VG278H (much better LightBoost colors and contrast). Or the QNIX overclocks.

Surprised it works I gave up on my 3 x Asus VG248QE this week with constant driver crashes. I went back to my 1 Asus 27" 144Hz could not be more happier..

I see your problem there.... You are running Nvidia cards... Go find the nearest screw driver and unbolt those... Put them up for sale here in the forums and go buy 2 7990's like I have and walla... No more problems ... LMAO

I see your problem there.... You are running Nvidia cards... Go find the nearest screw driver and unbolt those... Put them up for sale here in the forums and go buy 2 7990's like I have and walla... No more problems ... LMAO
yeah the 7990 cards are great. no issues there at all and crossfire scales wonderfully. and its even better with 4 gpus. :rolleyes:

Joining the 144ghz club, should arrive tomorrow. You guys think my single 7970 can push it for bf3/4 or should I start shopping for a 7990?

I am curious:
What about arranging the monitors around in a curve?
Rather than both the leftmost two, and the rightmost two in the same flat plane?

Is it just me or do all the ICC profiles on original link look worse than just set it and forget it.

Am I so used to looking at crappy displays that a properly calibrated monitor looks off?

What have you guys found to work best?

Toms Hardware review of VG248QE is up. However, they don't seem to believe in LightBoost though, according to forum board comments:

Christian Eberle posted on TomsHardware:

Wow, you didn't test using lightboost in 2D for better motion clarity?

Frankly, there was no need to improve motion clarity because we didn't see any motion blur at all. The super-fast screen draw time means you don't have to flash the backlight (thereby reducing light output) to combat this issue. Even less-responsive panels these days don't exhibit much motion blur.

-Christian

You LightBoost users might want to followup to the TomsHardware reviewer's post in the TomsHardware Comments section.

I saw zero blur without lightboost when getting 144 fps vsynced at 144hz. makes me wonder why that little spaceship pic makes it look like 144hz is still blurry.

I saw zero blur without lightboost when getting 144 fps vsynced at 144hz. makes me wonder why that little spaceship pic makes it look like 144hz is still blurry.
You can also see exactly the same kind of motion blur in games.
(TestUFO motion blur looks the same as game motion blur, if you make games run perfect smooth as TestUFO).

1. Use synchronized framerate=Hz. To do this, enable VSYNC ON (more lag) or Adaptive VSYNC (less lag)
2. Load an older source engine game, or any game that runs perfect 120fps@120Hz with few framedrops.
3. Strafe left/right in front of a high-detail wall. (Or mouse turn left/right with good 1000Hz mouse as smooth as keyboard strafe left/right)
4. You will witness the same motion blur. Even at 144Hz.

(You can do this, even in games you no longer play, at least just as an educational exercise).

Games are much more cacophonic than motion tests. Game have varying framerates, mouse microstutters, game code quality, GPU microstutters. The 'moving edge vibrations' of microstutters create extra motion blur. But if you can control the microstutters (run flat out 120fps@120Hz syncd, good 1000Hz mouse, good game code, good GPU config), then you witness exactly the same kind of panning motion blur (or lack thereof) in videogames during strafing/turning. Everyone who successfully got their game to run perfect 120fps@120Hz have remarked that they see the same effect in game, as they do in TestUFO, whenever they track their eyes with moving objects (e.g. circle strafing, high speed helicoptor low passes, and any gameplay tactics that forces you to track your eyes on moving objects across the display). To get the full TestUFO perfect fluidity in your games too, you've got to eliminate all the motion clarity weak links in games. Perfect synchronized full framerate=Hz, combined with a very good mouse, gives you the strongest LightBoost effect.

Try viewing www.testufo.com/ghosting in non-LightBoost (including 144Hz). You can't count the number of eyes in the alien during non-LightBoost. It's hidden by motion blur. But if you turn on LightBoost, you certainly can count the number of eyes in the alien (especially during LightBoost=50% setting).

If you have a quad Titan SLI and can't see LightBoost benefit in games, that's probably because you're staring stationary at the crosshairs (some pro gamers have learned to do that, to avoid being bottlenecked by LCD motion blur). LightBoost only benefits the eye-tracking situations. Likewise, staring stationary at the center of a TestUFO pattern (avoiding watching the moving objects), you won't see the LightBoost benefit there either.

Once all these variables are understood well, you go "aha" -- the motion blur stuff makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:
This is an inexpensive 120Hz monitor. It is meant for the budget minded people, rather than the people who want the best quality 120Hz.

People who want to enter the 120Hz world, should pay extra for a one of the better 27" models. There are much-higher-quality 120Hz monitors available, including the VG278H (much better LightBoost colors and contrast). Or the QNIX overclocks.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that the VG278H is a better panel than the BENQ one?
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Performance-XL2720T-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/tech-data/B00BV9AOL4/ref=de_a_smtd
esp w light boost at 120hz?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just to be clear, are you suggesting that the VG278H is a better panel than the BENQ one?
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-Performance-XL2720T-27-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/tech-data/B00BV9AOL4/ref=de_a_smtd
esp w light boost at 120hz?
The BENQ is better in many ways (e.g. some FPS gaming options), but if you're primarily after LightBoost color quality, the good old VG278H is currently hard to beat in the current crop of LightBoost monitors. The XL2720T and VG278HE is really close, they just have slightly more inversion artifacts and faint LightBoost sharp-ghost effect (which may or may not be bothersome), but all of them (XL2720T, VG278H, VG278HE) have slightly better viewing angles and twice the contrast ratio of a LightBoosted VG248QE or XL2411T.

(Presently, at the moment, my XL2411T is sitting next to my VG248QE, and I can see the difference. When whites are the same intensity, the LightBoost blacks on my VG278H is darker than my XL2411T, and I see less colorshift when I view my screens from below. Vega confirmed the same experience, and likes his XL2720T)

Best LightBoost colors: VG278H, followed by XL2720T, VG278HE, VG278HR
Worst LightBoost colors: VG248QE, XL2411T

(List of 120Hz monitors)

tnx mark for ur reply. it is curious that the 27 inch, VG278H, is better than the 24 inch model, VG248H, even though they both have the same pixel count. I'd think that smaller pixels would be easier to drive better.

BTW, how is the BENQ better for FPS?

tnx mark for ur reply. it is curious that the 27 inch, VG278H, is better than the 24 inch model, VG248H, even though they both have the same pixel count. I'd think that smaller pixels would be easier to drive better.
Ironically, we already have 240Hz VA panels -- large size format -- in Sony HDTV's. Granted, they use interpolation (internally generated frames), but high-refresh VA is already available. Monitor manufacturers use previous-generation panels.

Mark, what is your feeling on which monitor is the best 3d vision performer at the moment if you don't mind me asking?

Your eyes vs. the shutter of a camera would be my answer.
Actually, the camera is not the issue if done using the pursuit camera technique properly.
The amount of motion blur captured by pursuit camera (conducted properly with accurate tracking) is the same amount of motion blur perceived by human eye.

It's just that people are so used to 60Hz, they think 144Hz has zero motion blur compared to 60Hz. It's not zero motion blur during the www.testufo.com/eyetracking test (all 144Hz monitors always creates motion blur with that test). It's not just seen in TestUFO, it is seen in video games when the game is running at 144fps@144Hz and you have fine details (e.g. signs on walls, faraway enemies, 1-pixel-thick lines like Borderlands2, etc) Without a strobe backlight, you are still unable to read all map labels in TestUFO's panning map test even at 144Hz: www.testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto-map.png&pps=1440 ... Just try. You can't at high speeds (e.g. 960pix/sec or faster) when it's running at 144fps @ 144Hz! But with LightBoost enabled, especially at the 10% or 50% settings, you can. With LightBoost, it's as sharp as a paper map being scrolled past your face.

If your games had details this fine in their textures as you panned/strafed past them, you definitely will see motion blur! Those who cannot see the motion blur, just isn't looking for it, or only notices in closeup pursuit camera photos (the pursuit camera technique is documented at http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb comparing 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost in closeup photos) Sometimes motion blur is only a few millimeters thick (a few pixels thick), and obscured by already-blurry low-res textures in older games, enough to mask far-away or camoflaged enemies during things like circle strafing or high-speed helicoptor low-passes, etc. But in newer games, the motion blur becomes more noticeable because you high res textures! And it's also enough to make text unreadable because text is full of 1-pixel-wide elements. People used to be able to read text while scrolling on a CRT, but still can't read text while scrolling fast in a web browser on LCD monitors until LightBoost came along).

BTW -- here's a successful pursuit camera photograph of the exact same motion blur seen at www.testufo.com#test=mprt&pursuit=1
(Make sure to view on your gaming LCD with Lightboost turned off, Brightness set to 100%)

(pursuit photograph of www.testufo.com#test=mprt&pursuit=1 with LightBoost turned off, Brightness=100% to avoid PWM interference. Make sure animation is running at correct framerate)
(Animation will not have any motion blur if you turn on LightBoost)

You can see that a properly-tracked pursuit camera can actually capture the same amount of motion blur as your human eye sees[/url] for a given, particular display, if your camera *tracking* is accurate. Though, most LCD displays in non-strobed mode will produce the above result, very similiar to what was photographed above. The pursuit camera instructions are here.

Last edited:
^ yeah the readability test is night and day between even 144hz and 100hz with lightboost on.

I am thinking of buying a used 3d vision 2 kit from amazon for $89 shipped. Can i get it cheaper anywhere else? I dont see anything cheaper new or used on ebay or forums sofar.

I wanted it for Dirt 3, Richard burns rally and other racing games with my pc specs below.

I have not been monitoring this thread for the last few months, but I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has found a solution to the HDMI auto switch feature/bug

I currently have my gaming system connected to 3 x VG248QE using DVI and my work system connected to the center monitor with HDMI and the right monitor with DP

If I reboot or even sometimes if the system is switching screen modes, the center monitor will default back to the HDMI input.

My previous ASUS monitors would just remain on their input setting no matter what was happening with the different sources.

The only thing that I've considered that might work is getting a DVI/HDMI output to DP input scan converter:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-or-DVI-t...r=1-100&keywords=dvi+to+displayport+converter

$115 ish but not in stock and who knows what kind of quirks that will introduce...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/nvidias-gsync-attempting-to-revolutionize-gaming-via-smoothness

2d lightboost is great. gsync should make 3d gaming smoother as well by better regulating the frames.

Unfortunately g-sync's dynamic refresh rate function is exclusive from it's "superior to lightboost" backlight strobing function from all reports. Zero blur > dynamic refresh rate imo.

The smoothness they are talking about is lack of judder and tearing. The high hz + high fps (120hz+120fps) shows higher motion definition which not only looks better aesthetically (more defined motion transitions and animations), but gives other advantages. The 120fps at 120hz user sees a new frame of more recent action every 8.3ms, seeing new action slices sooner.. has more opportunities to react to that new information, and more opportunities to initiate actions and alter movement and aim. Matching lower fps to lower hz will just make the same frame of action a "freeze frame" for longer. 80fps results in 12.5ms frames at 80hz. Dropping to 60fps at 60hz your 8.3ms frame of reference "freeze-frames" to 16.6ms length , 40fps at 40hz -> 25ms. 30fps -> 33.2ms... while the 120fps at 120hz user sees a new frame of more recent action every 8.3ms. The high fps + high hz user will also get zero FoV blur with a good backlight strobing tech enabled. Without backlight strobing at high hz, your FoV motion resolution turns to slush. Smear "resolution" during these continual 1st/3rd person FoV movements must equate to a horribly low resolution that is not even definably a solid uniform grid in relation to the material it is attempting to display. Zero blur > dynamic refresh rate

Last edited:
So, when can I buy a gsync pcb to modify my current display? There doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the current gsync previews. I really hope that Nvidia didn't have a change of heart.

So, when can I buy a gsync pcb to modify my current display? There doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the current gsync previews. I really hope that Nvidia didn't have a change of heart.

For some reason I keep coming away with 1st quarter 2014.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

If outlets like these are already getting setups on this very monitor I can't imagine why it would take another 6-12 months to at least get the leading game TN monitors like this one all set.

Thats the whole thing. I really don't want to buy a whole new display. I haven't heard anything of the diy pcb in recent articles.

Thats the whole thing. I really don't want to buy a whole new display. I haven't heard anything of the diy pcb in recent articles.

True but I think if it were DOA we would find out about it.

A lot of people aren't going to want to buy new displays and really shouldn't have to. I would be/will be shocked if DIY isn't a given at this point.

had this monitor for a week and returned it. the 144hz was great but the rest of the monitor was TN garbage and even much worse overall than my 5 year old dell TN. screen was washed out and I could never get the colors right. it had VERY noticeable brightness and color change just moving my head one centimeter. it was probably twice as dark up top as on bottom. dark scenes in movies were pure shit with tons of crush and odd artifacting. and yes I compared the exact same scenes to my current monitor. there was lots of dithering and color banding too. this monitor had pretty much everything negative that a monitor can have other than low refresh rate.

I feel the same way. Worst TN panel I've ever seen. My old benq 2410T had pretty good colors for a TN 120hz monitor, which is what I was coming from. It did have bad black crush though, so I figured oh it'll fix the black crush and was praised everywhere. While my gf needed a new monitor, so everything will be win-win right? Worst decision ever.

I will say I haven't noticed black crush, since you don't know black crush till you try a 2410T. I do agree on the colors, brightness, color change. Completely crap. Of all the monitors I've used over the years to some of the early LCD 15" monitors, this tops it for worst colors ever.

I come back home after a week vacation and turn my computer on. First thing I notice is how crap the colors are. So bad that I finally picked up a discounted spyder4express to see if I can do anything to fix it. Otherwise I'm switching my monitor with my gf and getting my 2410T back.

IMO the colors on this are fine, on par with just about any other TN panel I've used. After tweaking the settings of course.

The default color calibration on this monitor literally made me want to gauge my eyes out with a spoon. Asus clearly makes no attempts to make their displays look decent out of the box (I've had another asus tn panel in the past, and it had the same awful insane bright/washed out default settings). You'd think they would at least make some effort, considering the awful first impression it makes when you turn on your shiny new display to find out that it looks like a bunch of washed out white mush.

However after using the 144hz settings on the OP for the monitor OSD settings (in standard mode), and the provided matching ICM profile, I think it looks fine (for a TN panel of course).

I discovered something that may be throwing some people off:

If you apply the icm profile and find that nothing has changed and the colors still look awful, its because windows' handling of icm profiles is kind of ridiculous.

To get the thing to actually apply, from the color management window I had to go to advanced > change system defaults (this brings up the color management control panel as 'admin' > browse to the color profile again and set it as default, and then go to advanced and check the box that says "use windows display calibration". After doing this the profile immediately applied and I saw a big improvement in the colors.

I'm pretty happy with this monitor so far. I use it mostly for pc gaming, and also some web browsing/tv/movies.

Last edited:
I just bought this monitor for $270 and absolutely love it. I've always had TN panels and never understood the need for IPS since all I do is game. I'm kicking myself for waiting this long to get a high refresh rate monitor. I'm not even getting 144fps, but I've got it set to 144hz and BF4 and the rest of my games are like a whole new game! I stepped down from a 27" to 24" and actually find a prefer the 24" I guess bc the PPI. I do have one pixel that is white all the time :/ I guess I also need to try 2d hacked 120hz with lightboost and see what that is all about

I just bought the asus VG248QE and it should be here tomorrow. I plan on using lightboost at 120hz for games, and 144hz for desktop. What are the best settings to use in these circumstances and what icc profiles should I use for lightboost @ 120hz, 144hz, and 60hz?

I received mine last week and I already put in a RMA for mine. If I sit about 1' below the screen and then tilt it all the way it, it looks fine. The gamma on this thing is HORRID. Is nearly impossible to look at. I turned the gamma setting in windows all the way down and it still washes out text (for example, the white lettering in the steam window on the green cannot be read unless its tilted and raised). When its lifted and tilted, it looks pretty damn good for a TN panel (come from an IPS user). I really like this monitor for gaming but I cannot look at it any longer. Im not sure if they all come like this or maybe mine is defective.

I finally got 120Hz to work over 5 monitors using 290X's :)

ToastyX's CRU helped and the pixel patcher.

If anyone is interested in how I did it PM me.

I received mine last week and I already put in a RMA for mine. If I sit about 1' below the screen and then tilt it all the way it, it looks fine. The gamma on this thing is HORRID. Is nearly impossible to look at. I turned the gamma setting in windows all the way down and it still washes out text (for example, the white lettering in the steam window on the green cannot be read unless its tilted and raised). When its lifted and tilted, it looks pretty damn good for a TN panel (come from an IPS user). I really like this monitor for gaming but I cannot look at it any longer. Im not sure if they all come like this or maybe mine is defective.

Use the ICC profiles in the OP and download a program, "Display Profile", to load the profiles. I have to load it each time I restart my pc, though having it automatically loaded might also be possible.

My monitor out the box was, as you say, extremely difficult to look at. ICC profiles made a massive difference.

Playing BF4 with lightboost, or, at 144hz, is phenomenal.

I just ordered one of these. What connectors do I need to put this and my other 1080p 60hz monitor on my 290x?

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to displayport/dvi. Can I plug the VG248QE in with displayport to displayport, then use DVI to DVI for the other monitor?

NCX please throw an icc profile my way for the vg248qe monitor for 120 hz no lightboost or g-sync enabled ,just standard mode tyvm :))

I don't own a VG248QE anymore and there is no point in using non-Lightboost 120hz over 144hz.

Back