Asus VG248QE 144hz 3D Vision 2: The Official Thread

Overclock.ru measured the BenQ XL2411T's Lightboost colors and they seem to be slightly better then the VG248QE's, but still worse than the XL2420T's.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5318...zor_i_testirovanie_monitora_BenQ_XL2411T.html

Yea, reading that Overclocker's review was challenging..lol. Seems the review did not favor the Benq...at least from what I could decipher from the translation.

So what does all this mean for the LX2720T?

My eyes are not as good as they were when I was 25 years old...I'm 61 now. They are better than most my age...so I'm thinking a 27 inch monitor would be better for me. I have two 23 inch TN panel monitors now and it is harder, sometimes, to read small text.

So I am thinking VG278HR or XL2720T..yes I game...alot ...kick younger butt all the time...lol

Last edited:
I currently have 3 60hz samsung in 2d surround a d looking to upgrade to 3 of these possibly for high refresh rate. How is pic quality and color look honestly with out doing lightboost trick? I have now 3 samsung s27a350h.

I have the same monitor for gaming.....interested in the answer to his question.

I use that monitor for testing closed Beta of World of War Planes....do get some motion blur with it......looking to fix that issue with a better monitor.

They have dropped the NDA on it now...so I can talk about the game.

Last edited:
I have the same monitor for gaming.....interested in the answer to his question.

I use that monitor for testing closed Beta of World of War Planes....do get some motion blur with it......looking to fix that issue with a better monitor.

They have dropped the NDA on it now...so I can talk about the game.

you get motion blur with the samsung monitor ?? for price this asus monitor sounds very good for refresh rate but alot of people say colors are very weak. hoping to get info on here without lightboost how it really looks

you get motion blur with the samsung monitor ?? for price this asus monitor sounds very good for refresh rate but alot of people say colors are very weak. hoping to get info on here without lightboost how it really looks

Yea...motion blur with Sansung...My Acer is better at that than the Samsung.
I have found varying opinions on Benq color.........hoping to find some GOOD information before I put down the money.

I have found varying opinions on Benq color.........hoping to find some GOOD information before I put down the money.

I agree I wish microcenter had in store to actually see it. I have them like 10 min away but I usually just order from newegg. Monitors prob hardest thing to buy I think!

Have you ever played on CRT's before? Especially at full framerates (60fps@60Hz)?

I agree I wish microcenter had in store to actually see it. I have them like 10 min away but I usually just order from newegg. Monitors prob hardest thing to buy I think!

I use Micro Center for my computer needs...lol

Except they are 20 mins away

CRTs...lol..I remember for years that was all we had...ahh the good ole days

Last edited:
Here is some bad news for the XL2720T;

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/benq-xl2720t-1141899/review?src=rss&attr=all

Looks like I may be looking into the VG278HR a lot more....if I only had a price for the damn thing.

Overlord Tempest X270OC--yep in the running

So maybe the BenQ XL2420T or TX

That "review" is a joke. The VG248QE sucks out of the box too until it's been tweaked a bit, same for most gaming monitors. It sounds like the reviewer just unpacked the monitor and plugged it in, booted to win8, and said "that's washed out bad", and quit. Yeah...it's going to suck unless he at least does some minimal tweaking.

Do you have something like CPKeeper running to lock the LUT table?

I don't think so. Never heard of that or anything else like it. How could I be sure, though ... ? I ran through the walkthroughs to achieve no motion blur but I don't remember forging into stone anything.

Have you ever played on CRT's before? Especially at full framerates (60fps@60Hz)?

no i have never played on CRT monitor ever. I remember them just never gamed on them though. I will admit I always played on consoles for longest time and did first gaming PC build couple years ago.

That "review" is a joke. The VG248QE sucks out of the box too until it's been tweaked a bit, same for most gaming monitors. It sounds like the reviewer just unpacked the monitor and plugged it in, booted to win8, and said "that's washed out bad", and quit. Yeah...it's going to suck unless he at least does some minimal tweaking.

You may be right. But ....it is the only hands on review I have found. The guys here, with the monitors, do a pretty good job on telling us about the Special features...just haven't found any that has really talked about the color and such to do regular desk work with.

It' is to tough to buy a monitor if you have nothing to hands on with...lol

I got my VG248QE screens (3) last week and started with just one, then eventually got all 3 setup on my monitor stand after removing the VE258Qs.

These are my impressions, contrasted against my concerns and assumptions:

1. I only run 680SLI so while I'm often over 60fps in Surround, I'm never in the 120-144fps range on modern games. As it turns out, it's still a massive, massive, massive, brain altering upgrade. Probably the best upgrade I can remember since I bought my original Voodoo 1 card. I'm still playing with the refresh rates and vsync and lightboost and everything but even without any real optimization, it's fantastic. I've been a bit sullen the last year because there just has not been a real upgrade from my current system, but with these screens, you will now have a reason to start chasing even more performance, because you can actually use it.

2. The colors suck. Wow do they suck and I don't even care that much. I don't understand how to use color profiles and all that, but I think I'm going to have to learn. My brain is good at adapting, so it's bothering me less and less, but I need to at least make an attempt.

3. The light boost thing is a pain. The process to make it work is still unclear to me and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Even when it doesn't, the high refresh rate is like a narcotic for your eyes.

4. Dramatic improvement in games like BF3. Others have said it takes you back to the CRT days and it does - it makes me a bit sad because after trying these, I feel like we lost a decade of that style of play and I will even go out on a limb here and speculate that the transition from Arena style shooters to modern style shooters may be partially due to how hard (or how unpleasant) it is to play those games on blurry LCDs. I've had many more headshots and rampaging multi kills since I got these setup.

5. No dead pixels. I'm lucky like that. Still, I also have the weird problem where the game sometimes goes into a super slow-motion state.

6. I don't mind playing on a single screen now. With 60hz screens, I always felt like my system was held back by the screen - Surround was a way to let you see "around" and help you offset the challenge of lower frame rates. I played single screen for a couple days and the ability to so quickly look around seems like a decent offset against a wide viewing angle. Also - Tomb Raider on a single screen with everything maxed is just amazing.That super high FPS feeling is addictive, but in game camera shake seems much more alarming with it on.

7. This is the point of no return. I thought Surround was, but I'll continue to run it even as I quest for more power to fully saturate the video bandwidth now available to me.

edit:

This is a weird question, but has anyone tried to sell their monitor stands? They're pretty nice, but I don't need them and I'm sure there are people with basic stands that would like them (they are so adjustable, even doing portrait). I suppose it would be a problem if even want to use them without this big Chief stand...

Good to hear you are so happy with lightboost gaming, and that you get how much it sucks that lcd blur has been dumped onto the public all these years. It would be great if there was a lightboost 2D gaming utility to make things easier. Surround gaming in general has never been without bugs and tweaks from all I've read though. People in various lightboost threads have posted color profiles for you btw, if you search for them. I'm not sure if you can just import them or if you have to enter their settings manually, but it might give a good starting point. Vega and at least one other person removed their AG coating in order to get some more clarity and color vibrance out of their monitors also.

FPS is very important. Even "regular" 120hz panels really should be fed at least 100fps so that more of the hz are updated to a new, unique, more recent frame of game world state/action. Better yet, over 120fps so that you can use vsync with insignificant tearing (or a lightboost monitor optionally at 100hz and 100fps+). You could always play source engine games in surround (L4D2, TF2), or older games. Not many other games have over the top fps like those though, even a lot of mmos and single player rpgs on ultra require a lot more gpu (and cpu power) than a lot of people give credit for (partly due to not be optimized though). And if you mod games like skyrim or gtaIV they become a lot more demanding too. I think surround mode would be great for racing games and flying games however, even if you had to run on medium settings, especially if you had a decent steering wheel + pedals setup or flight yolk.

Enabling LB and make it stick with this monitor is a total cakewalk right now with CRU.

cru makes setting up lightboost easy. i run my benq xl2411t at 10% lightboost (1.4 ms strobes) all the time. the text above the pixperan chase car stays perfectly clear at the highest speed. as i posted earlier, regular 60 hz is so blurry it gives me nausea pretty quickly, 120 hz screens are better, but i still have to take a break after about 45 minutes. something i never had with crt`s. lightboost seems to have eliminated that completely, being about 6x faster than 120 hz displays. everything stays sharp in motion, it´s awesome.

one funny thing, while setting up the benq i had it running at 60 hz first, then clicked 144 hz in the nvidia menu and said loudly "eh?", so differently did the mouse feel.

the sad part is the image quality, and least when compared to the 120 hz overlord tempest. i tried various settings but the colors remained washed out and muddy. luckily ncx posted a profile in the vg248qe thread which made the image look acceptable, although far from the crisp look of ips.

edit: profile seems to be for the 48qe, but worked with my benq. lol.

does anyone have an icm profile for the benq xl2411t?

the matte screen also adds to this i guess, one just has to look at what it does to the image in the thread where vega de-matted his asus. it´s literally as described in this post. as a shooter player i`ll stay with lightboost though. will get a glossy monitor though if someone, perhaps samsung, releases a lightboost capable one.

Last edited:
I just picked up two of these monitors for $265 (no tax, free ship)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=917361&is=REG&Q=&A=details

Im super excited, and cant wait to play with them. I currently have a BenQ XL2410T which I bought awhile ago for $350 as my main gaming. Its been awesome to be able to play at 120hz for anything gaming.

I also noticed on nvidia settings that triple buffering is defaulted to off. When I turned it on, I noticed an improvement in games right away. Improvement as in smoothness (at the BenQs 120hz setting). Does anyone else have triple buffering enabled in their nvidia settings?

Last edited:

Well I got three of them from newegg arrived today! I'm very happy with quality it is not near as bad as reviews say maybe the samsung s27a350h didn't have best colors either but huge diff coming from those monitors.

Well I got three of them from newegg arrived today! I'm very happy with quality it is not near as bad as reviews say maybe the samsung s27a350h didn't have best colors either but huge diff coming from those monitors.

What are you saying is the huge difference between the VG248QE and the samsung s27a350h? Is the "huge diff" that the color quality on the VG248QE is "hugely" worse than the samsung, or are you labeling that the "huge diff" to the motion quality or something else? It seemed like you were saying the former. I have a 27" samsung A750D which is glossy, and the colors are vibrant/saturated (even though "inaccurate" and also suffering TN shift/"shadow"). If you were talking about drop in color vibrancy, would you guess that removal of the AG coating might bring it closer to the samsung?

What are you saying is the huge difference between the VG248QE and the samsung s27a350h? Is the "huge diff" that the color quality on the VG248QE is "hugely" worse than the samsung, or are you labeling that the "huge diff" to the motion quality or something else? It seemed like you were saying the former. I have a 27" samsung A750D which is glossy, and the colors are vibrant/saturated (even though "inaccurate" and also suffering TN shift/"shadow"). If you were talking about drop in color vibrancy, would you guess that removal of the AG coating might bring it closer to the samsung?

To me huge diff is coming from 60hz to 144hz monitor. Honestly the colors are not near as bad as I was expecting from multiple forums I read. Also coming from the samsung monitors I had and still own the colors are comparable I would say as my personal opinion.

To me huge diff is coming from 60hz to 144hz monitor. Honestly the colors are not near as bad as I was expecting from multiple forums I read. Also coming from the samsung monitors I had and still own the colors are comparable I would say as my personal opinion.

Are you using LightBoost?

The colors are MUCH worse with LightBoost on.

Picked up one of these a couple of days ago and I must say it was a joy playing TF2 at 120Hz with Lightboost last night. I've only had time to do very minimal tweaking but yes, it looks pretty horrible out of the box, especially if you're coming from an IPS panel. I added a color profile for the VG278HE (before I saw this thread) and cranked up the contrast like Vega had mentioned elsewhere, and both things helped.

When you guys talk about 10% lightboost and 100% lightboost are you referring to using the OSD controls or is there something to tweak through the Nvidia CP?

When you guys talk about 10% lightboost and 100% lightboost are you referring to using the OSD controls or is there something to tweak through the Nvidia CP?

Yes its the OSD, difference between 10% and 100% LB is quite noticeable when running pixperan tests. 10% provides the clearest motion but looks dim

So, I've had my VG248QE for about a week now. I came from the VG236H and prior to that I was on the FW900. When my FW900 died, I cried. I replaced it with the VG236H and thought I was doing ok. I enjoyed it for about nine months until I started reading up on lightboost. I can safely say, that in the past week, I've enjoyed gaming so much more and I feel like I'm back on my FW900 with the VG248QE. It seriously is as close to CRT as you can get.

Love it. LOVE IT.

Thanks again to Vega for the AG removal. Makes things even better.

Sorry guys, just got done testing the 2720T versus the VG248QE.

The 2720T has a very apparent double ghost image in Lightboost mode. The QE has a very slight single ghost image. Both have a ~1.4ms MPRT at 10% Lightboost, and both have a ~2.3ms MPRT at 100% Lightboost.

I also found the QE to have better image quality in Lightboost mode than the 2720T.

I cannot recommend the 2720T and I highly suspect it uses the same 2ms panel as the 27" Asus's. I'd bet a lot on it.

For the ultimate motion clarity, the only options are still the 24" 1ms panels from Asus and BenQ.

I had been waiting on a 1ms 27" lightboost monitor that would compare to the fastest 24" ones, since it would fit into my monitor array a lot better. Right now I have a 27" cinema display and a 27" 120hz samsung, with a few 19" 'sidebar' panels in portrait mode which line up pretty well to the 27" panels when the 19" are set back a bit on monitor arms. Anyway I was hoping the benQ XL2720T would do the trick but now after hearing what vega said I'm rethinking it and reconsdering the asus VG248QE.

I dug up this pic of a 24" next to a 27" on the "Show your lcd setup" thread. I don't think it looks too bad, especially if I set my 24" up on a monitor arm - perhaps keeping it a little closer to me than the 27".

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/sweetleader/Computer/DSC_1224.jpg

from my experience, definitely.

see this post, this is what the matte film does to a sharp image:

The film that has ruined many a great display ;),

PICT00073.jpg

Surprisingly, this particular model doesn't even have that strong of a matte film. Surely not as bad as those found on a lot of LG's IPS displays. You can actually see through this film fairly well. Others I have seen are more difficult to see through.

would anyone wear glasses made of this film?

as i posted before, i owned a samsung S27A750D too and sold it because plain 120 hz were still perceivably blurry, and i expected better performance from 1 ms lightboost monitors. ironically, i sold the samsung only before learning that it's also strobe-capable.

sure the 1 ms screens (vg248qe, xl2411t) have clearer motion with lightboost, but regarding image quality, the samsung was so clear and sharp, it was miles ahead. i use my benq because of lightboost, but will sell it as soon as there's an equivalent glossy screen available.

as for colors, the samsung was very good for a TN screen, much better than the benq, although inferior to the IPS. currently i have the benq xl2411t and the overlord tempest. it's a shame one can't really have the cake and eat it :(

Last edited:
as i posted before, i owned a samsung S27A750D too and sold it because plain 120 hz were still perceivably blurry, and i expected better performance from 1 ms lightboost monitors. ironically, i sold the samsung only before learning that it's also strobe-capable.

sure the 1 ms screens (vg248qe, xl2411t) have clearer motion with lightboost, but regarding image quality, the samsung was so clear and sharp, it was miles ahead. i use my benq because of lightboost, but will sell it as soon as there's an equivalent glossy screen available.

as for colors, the samsung was very good for a TN screen, much better than the benq, although inferior to the IPS. currently i have the benq xl2411t and the overlord tempest. it's a shame one can't really have the cake and eat it :(

How is the Overlord Tempest for gaming?

I doubt this will affect many people, but I'm finding this slightly annoying - the vg248qe monitors seem to have a "keep alive" signaling function on the HDMI ports that my previous ASUS screens did not have.

This is how I'm configured:

Gaming PC to 3 monitors (DL DVI)

Work Laptop to 3 monitors (HDMI)
1. Docking station DVI port and a DVI to HDMI cable (Right screen)
2+3. Docking Station DP port to Zotac DP to 2 HDMI box (creates a 3860x1080 screen on Left+Center screen)

So previously, I would usually run my work system on 3 screens, but of the 2 screens that use the splitter (and behave like a single double wide screen), I could change one of them to DVI and the work computer would realize that screen was no longer available and it would auto resize the virtual 3860 display back to 1920 on a single screen leaving me with a personal PC screen on the left and work on the center and right screens - awesome.

Well, these monitors do not inform the HDMI connection when you change the input - so when I change my left screen to DVI, the work computer maintains a 3860 wide screen using the left and center panels, only now I just can't see what would appear on the left screen (previously, since it was resized, any windows on the left screen would be moved to one of the other screens)

One work around is to switch the screen to DVI, then turn the screen off - this notifies the work PC that this panel is no longer available and it resizes everything as before - when I turn the monitor back on (to DVI) it maintains this state but it's not nearly as elegant as it was before.

Does anyone know what this function is called and whether there is a way to manage it?

Edit:
The other aspect of this is that when my gaming system goes to sleep or reboots or even glances away from the DVI input for a second, the screen(s) will default back to HDMI.

Last edited:
Back