Asus VG23AH: The 1st Semi-Glossy IPS Panel?

@Wattson

If you are using HDMI with a Nvidia card and did not enable the YcbCr setting or use the other method linked to in my review the display will have grey blacks and make the light bleeding look 10x worse. Also, the trace free setting needs to be set to 0 when using the 3D, other wise the display will overshoot (bright halo/glow around moving objects).

Most of the low-mid range IPS commonly come with light bleeding regardless of brand these days.

Don't have a mini HDMI adapter yet, so it's still DVI. Blacks are not the problem at all. In fact, the blacks of this very forum look absolutely fantastic...except in the corners. I read what you said about Trace Free, and I did set it to 0 when using 3D, but I honestly didn't test it long enough to notice whether or not moving that up or down had any significant effect. Kind of a shitty experience coming from a 2209WA (A panel!!!) since that was such a fantastic experience for the price. I'd still be using it now as my main monitor if it had less input lag and HDMI.

Using the Nvidia control panel doesn't do anything when using the consoles either; which was the main reason I bought this monitor. I needed a sub 16ms input lag monitor for fighting games first and movies/whatever secondary that was not TN.

I don't have a camera to take a picture of my screen with, but this is practically what mine looks like: http://www.overclock.net/t/1286953/this-level-of-backlight-bleeding-is-it-normal-or-not But worse, believe it or not.

Hang on, when people are mentioning the grey horizontal lines and glasses, are they talking about eyeglasses or the 3D glasses? I'm not getting how eyeglasses exacerbate the grey line issue.

I was talking about the passive 3D glasses. I don't need to wear prescription glasses/contacts. I don't notice any of these grey lines at a normal viewing distance without the glasses.

Last edited:
Got an RMA for a Rapid Replacement, so now all they need to do is check to see that they have this particular model in stock. Otherwise, they will simply have to "fix" this display.

Is it even possible for them to manually fix what seems like a common manufacturing defect?
Anyway, here's hoping that the second display isn't as bad as this one was, or that they can actually fix the problems with it if they can't send a replacement.

Hang on, when people are mentioning the grey horizontal lines and glasses, are they talking about eyeglasses or the 3D glasses? I'm not getting how eyeglasses exacerbate the grey line issue.

i saw the horizontal lines with prescription glasses on the vg27ah (the 27" version of the vg23ah). some lenses use a polarized filter to reduce glare, some don't. this explains why some people with eyeglasses see the lines and some don't.

i saw the horizontal lines with prescription glasses on the vg27ah (the 27" version of the vg23ah). some lenses use a polarized filter to reduce glare, some don't. this explains why some people with eyeglasses see the lines and some don't.

Ah that makes sense, thanks.

New panel arrived today. It still has some uniformity issues as well as backlight bleed, but it's still a pretty significant improvement over the first panel; and I'm no longer having issues with the entire left third of the screen being much brighter than it should be on virtually every scene that was not meant to be brightly lit. The only time it's noticeable now would be during a movie that's in a format that causes the black borders on the top and bottom. The left side of the bottom bar is not as dark as the rest, but it's not distracting. Before, it was almost unbearable.

So basically, pray you get lucky on the panel lotto the first time. Otherwise, the monitor is great for console gaming--which is what I bought it for in the first place.

I just got this monitor yesterday. I have been trying it out since I got it. I am not sure if I should keep it or return it. I've had 2 displays in the past, a TFT monitor and an LED HDTV, both anti-glare. It's the first time I'm using something that's glossy (even though it's semi-gloss).

+ What I like most about the monitor are the vibrant colours and the contrast and can be viewed from wider range of angles.

+ I've tried the 3D feature using Stereoscopic Player and I have to say I'm impressed so far with what I've tested.

+ I have tried playing Battlefield 3. I was afraid that that the monitor might have slower response rate and input lag, but I didn't notice anything. My graphics card is Asus GTX 560 Ti 448 cores.

Now for some negatives.

- Since I've been so used to anti-glare monitors, the reflections are kind of distracting when the image on the screen goes dark. They are not strong reflections but still distracting.

- Like others have reported here, I too see the backlight bleed in the left lower corner. It can be noticeable when the room light and the image on the screen goes dark.

- Since I just got the monitor, I had been setting it up using the buttons on the monitor. These buttons are quite hard to press. My fingers have been hurting.

So there you have it. 3 positives and 3 negatives. I'm not sure if I should keep it but other monitors have have the same problem. My main feature I wanted was to play 3D videos and games using passive 3D. Active 3D is out of question for me due to higher costs and awkward glasses.

I think this monitor is right in the middle of everything one could ask for in a monitor in terms of features, performance and price.

Last edited:
BTW, does anyone know how to fix this problem I have with this monitor.

When I open or close a full HD 1080p video, I get a black screen for 2 seconds. This happens even on youtube videos when I play them in 1080p.

Sometimes, it even happens when I try to fast forward to a different location on the time line on the player.

Is there a fix for this? I am using native resolution. All drivers are up to date and I'm using Windows 8.

Last edited:
Can you guys tell me if this monitor can be used with a standalone 3D Blu-ray player? I searched for a long time but I have not found a single review from someone who did that. From the manual, it seems it works fine. I understand it will be just be 540p but I just want try it for fun.

Thanks. I will bite.

I will mostly use it with my PC with DVI port.

A stand-alone Blu-ray player is a lot less hassle than replacing my DVD writer with a BR drive and install a bunch of software. But I also happened to have an Nvidia G210, (very basic, I know), that has HDMI port. Would I be able to playback 3D mkv files? If yes, what software do I need?

I just bit on Newegg for 189.00. Just in case nothing ever shows up like this again. I am pained by the 2006-2012 display black hole I was in. I will overbuy, yes. I want to tinker with it. Watch, in 2 weeks we'll get 24" 120Hz 2ms IPS semi-gloss from NEC for $350.00 - no overshoots. Yeah right.

Received my monitor today. Some observations:

- I can see the faint gray lines. But only from about 1.5 ft away. I am not wearing glasses/contacts of any kind. But I think it is minor enough to be ignored.

- With everything at default. the screen feels dark to me. I am using DVI interface with Intel graphics (X4500). I know I can adjust the brightness but it just does not feel right. What adjustments did you guys made?

BTW, base on my understanding. I should be able to view stereoscopic static images without any special software or 2D->3D switch. Does anyone know where I can download such images (e.g. left/right image at odd/even lines).

Let's see if this works. I have uploaded a 3D picture that can be viewed on VG23AH.

You must view it in full screen.

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/815/vg23ah3d.png

For best result, save the picture to your PC and then view it in full screen.

(If you are watching it in a browser, make sure you have it zoomed to 1:1 mapping. Even then, it is critical that the left and right image is correct. The "circle" should be to your right when you view with your left eye.)

Thinking I'm gonna bite on this monitor for gaming and ps3 usage....anything better out around its price range (~$250)?

Let's see if this works. I have uploaded a 3D picture that can be viewed on VG23AH.

You must view it in full screen.

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/815/vg23ah3d.png

For best result, save the picture to your PC and then view it in full screen.

(If you are watching it in a browser, make sure you have it zoomed to 1:1 mapping. Even then, it is critical that the left and right image is correct. The "circle" should be to your right when you view with your left eye.)

With your picture, you're left and right are swapped in my browser. If I move the picture up one pixel or wear my glasses upside down, it fixes the stereo image.

Also everyone with this monitor and nvidia card should looking into Acer HR274H 3D Monitor EDID Override. This tricks nvidia drivers into supporting 3D vision for this monitor, so you don't need to buy tridef or 3dtv play.

Back