Asus VG23AH: The 1st Semi-Glossy IPS Panel?

Are you guys suggesting there is something wrong with my 3007WFP-HC.. or is it just new IPS panels that are affected? Cause I sure don't like glossy.

There's nothing wrong with it. Are you referring to aggressive anti-glare coating? Some find it annoying, some don't. I think it varies between models. My Fujitsu P23T-6P IPS is at least in my opinion no where near HP ZR24w when it comes to AG aggressiveness.

I don't know if its possible to capture it to camera but here's marco shot from my crappy, noisy Galaxy S: http://www.abload.de/img/img_20120811_133149aujd9.jpg My display was a bit dusty and could use some cleaning but in my opinion the AG is pretty much spot on. Text is sharp and it does not look dirt at all (unless it actually is dirty). HP ZR24w (which my co-worker uses as his display at work) is too sparkly for my taste, it looks dirty all the time.

It's all about personal taste. I don't like glossy screens, screen has to have at least some kind of AG or it is extremely annoying.

I've been out of the loop for a while. The Dell Ultrasharp series used to be basically the top-end for monitors and the 3007WFP-HC was the top of the top.

Now, there are virtually dozens of top-tier models with 120hz, 3D, thin bezels and now this glossy thing.

Does anyone know how my Ultrasharps stack up - 3007, 2407 and 2007?

Are they old or classic, as in the way they "used" to make monitors before IPS become affordable?

Alright, so came across your post about the Asus VG23AH, and here is a summary of what changes I did to get 3D to work properly with my AMD Radeon HD 7870.

1) Used ToastyX tool (just look up CRU tool) to add the 72hz resolution. Had to reboot for it to show up as an option in the monitor properties, but it seems to work well. Here are the settings again:

Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

72Hz

2) The default settings on the TriDef3D installation were wrong. I would have a scaled down display with 3D in it and black bars on the outside edges.I had to go into the TriDef3D control panel and make the following changes:

Manufacturer: (standard display types)
Model: Line Interlaced (1920x1080)

SBS works too, butevery time I loaded a game with 3D, I would have to press buttons on my monitor, navigate the (crap) menus to select Side by Side. With Line Interlaced, its automatic and I don't have to fiddle with the monitor to get the 3D to work.

3) Adjusted several settings on the OSD menu for TriDef3D (while in game press the NUMPAD 0 to bring it up). Here are the settings that I chose that worked best without making my eyes crazy or tired from the 3D (adjust the depth to what feels comfortable to you).

Scene Depth: 20
Percent in Front: 90
Custom Focus: On
Near Plane: 60
Far Plane: 100

This gave me a nice balance with very little ghosting, but still a decent 3D effect. This monitor does not like the default settings that the TriDef3D software uses. It could be the reason why the reviews for this unit were so bad..

Anyways, as long as I bypassed the AMD settings for the 3D display on the TriDef3D control panel, and adjusted the settings above everything works perfectly. I am very happy with the color, contrast, and 3D ability of this monitor now.

Enjoy!

I've read a couple of users say that they can see faint gray lines on the vg23ah. Can anyone comment on this? I like the thought of semi-glossy. But not really into the 3d. What would be the closest to this without 3d? asus vs239?

You do not have to use the 3D. It works just as well in 2D like any display.

There is no VG23AH equivalent. You won't find a better non-TN gaming monitor regardless of how much money you spend. Sure you can buy an overclockable Yamakasi Catleap for 560$ from 120hz.net, but those lack a real warranty and menu.

If you put on the 3D glasses and stick your face 12"/30 cm (yes I measured) from the screen you can see faint grey lines. I'm not sure why any one would do that though.

I just bought the tri-def software since my trial expired. Time to try some games

The VG23AH's biggest downside is that Asus does not include clear instructions as to how to get the 3D to work. You need to buy the Tri-Def 3D software (50$) for games+movies, or you can use Power DVD for 3D movies.

I set up the VG23AH and compared a few 3D movies to my Nvidia 3D Vision VG236H. The lower resolution is visible sometimes (more so with CGI like the water in Tintin 3D), and it looked as if some one turned town the anti-aliasing a little bit. The loss of sharpness is minimal though. For movies I prefer passive 3D.

Since the VG236H is glossy it always looks clearer as well. There is less of a screen door effect on the VG23AH than the BenQ XL2420T since the VG23Ah uses semi-glossy coating while the BenQ uses medium AG.

The colours and blacks are way better on the VG23AH since it is IPS and Passive 3D does not require one to crank the brightness unlike Nvidia 3D Vision 1 displays.

You have to sit around 2.5-3ft away and have the VG23AH @ head level to get the full Passive 3D effect. You can sit as close as you want with a Nvidia 3D display, but since they are all TN, similar height restrictions apply.

I tried Arkham City before and it looked liked a sub-hd 3D game w/o anti-aliasing, same with Dirt 3. In Orcs Must Die 2 everything looked fine, sure it wasn't as sharp as a Nvidia 3D display but the colours were better and I can play @72fps.

I couldn't get BF3 to work properly with the Tri-Def trial since it put the image in a little 680x480 box in the top left corner.

NCX, thanks for the good info. So you can't see any grey lines if your aren't in 3d mode? Thats' cool. How are the colors and out of the box calibration? I don't have the ability to calibrate a monitor. Also, I'm not really too interested in the 3d stuff right now so I am also considering the following monitors...have you seen any of them and how do they compare to the vg23ah?

Asus VS239H-P (ips, matte - not sure how heavy ag)
HP 2311xi - (ips, ag not too bad)
HP u2412m - (ips, worried about the ag and ghosting/streaking)

All matte IPS panels use the same coating as the 2412 except for the VG23AH, Fujitsu P23T-6P IPS, AOC i235 & Dell U2713. The ones you listed don't compare because they are grainy & don't support higher hz.

The Dell U2312 is better than both the 2311xi & VS239H. As far as 16:10 24" go the Dell is the best unless you play console gaming since it lacks 1:1 pixel mapping (it stretches 16:9 resolutions). The PA248Q has 1:1 pixel mapping & is just as good as the Dell except in terms of customer service.

If you put on the 3D glasses and go really close the lines are visible. The colours are almost perfect out of the box on mine, it's just a little bit too red but this is easily fixed by turning the red down a bit. In this video I compared it to my Samsung S27A850D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaeLRovmR9E

I'm confused. I do not care about 3d. Both CNET and kitguru said this monitor is bad in 2d, while NCX you are saying this one is the best non-TN gaming monitor. kitguru's review also said their unit has blb problem, while NCX you are saying yours has 0 blb. Honestly I haven't seen a IPS monitor with 0 blb in my life. Some non-english reviews I read also stated the gray line effect is unbearable, and the buttons are super hard to press. Wish I can try it somewhere before making buying decision

Cnet said it had good 2d performance and bad 3D performance, but he didn't test the 3D properly (didn't use the 3D within the optimal viewing angle or figure out to set the trace free to 0 which gets rid of the 3D ghosting), also there is no mention of which 3D software was used. Many think he just used the conversion feature.

I've read kitgurus review and most of the issues highlighted was the screen uniformity at maximum brightness. There isn't enough information in that review to come to any sort of conclusion about the display. Most of it is dedicated to pictures of the display turned off and there are only a few vague sentences regarding the gaming performance.

Grey's on mine are flawless compared to my calibrated 8 bit Samsung and Crossover.

Last edited:
I've read kitgurus review and most of the issues highlighted was the screen uniformity at maximum brightness. There isn't enough information in that review to come to any sort of conclusion about the display. Most of it is dedicated to pictures of the display turned off and there are only a few vague sentences regarding the gaming performance.

Grey's on mine are flawless compared to my calibrated 8 bit Samsung and Crossover.

I won't be using it at MAX brightness anyway...probably nowhere close. This monitor is looking better and better. I haven't seen any reviews mention the lines, and with NCX's experience I don't think they are an issue at all.

Now down to VG23AH, PA238q/PA24q (because they come calibrated) and U2412m.

Ugh. I wish I could see these side by side.

I won't be using it at MAX brightness anyway...probably nowhere close. This monitor is looking better and better. I haven't seen any reviews mention the lines, and with NCX's experience I don't think they are an issue at all.

Now down to VG23AH, PA238q/PA24q (because they come calibrated) and U2412m.

Ugh. I wish I could see these side by side.

the asus PAs are very similar in every aspect w/ the 2412m; w/ slightly better color gamut/accuracy on the PAs>2412, but imo doesn't justify the big price difference.
So unless the PA248 is same price as the 2412, i'd do the 2412

Ok, I ordered the u2412m so I can see it in person. I can compare it side-by-side with the hp 2311xi. I still wish I could see the vg23ah though...sounds like the best of both worlds with it's semi-glossy finish.

I can't see PWM flickering, but my camera can, and the VG23AH flickers across all ranges of brightness which sucks for PWM sensitive people :mad:

I reviewed a PA238Q last year, the VG33AH is superior in every way except for the bezel style & colour control options. Granted the PA238Q I received was awful (Contrast 30% lower than other test units and 50% lower after calibration, very washed out gamma & severe light bleeding), even if I had received a "good" unit the aggressive anti-glare coating alone was enough to send it back. If I wanted a permanent film grain effect & dirty+sparkly whites & light colours I would smear a thin layer of Vaseline and sprinkle some sand on it myself.

I'm starting the Written Review Here: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...mi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html#post849785 by tomorrow night I will have a majority of the content in there.

Mine doesn't have any light bleeding but the bottom left corner is a bit brighter

inputlag051.jpg

The black level on the right display is 0.05 vs the VG23AH's 0.15 @140cdm/2 brightness

inputlag067.jpg

Lights On

inputlag069.jpg

Model: Line Interlaced (1920x1080)

SBS works too, butevery time I loaded a game with 3D, I would have to press buttons on my monitor, navigate the (crap) menus to select Side by Side. With Line Interlaced, its automatic and I don't have to fiddle with the monitor to get the 3D to work.

Thanks for this! I tried Orcs Must Die 2, Dirt 3 and Ghost Recon: FS (GR:FS does not support 72hz, it switches to 60hz) and they looked way better when using line interlaced and I can simply turn the 3D on/off with 1 button press in the tri-def options vs going through the displays OSD. I forgot how awesome 3D could be. When using the sbs mode GR:FS switched to 1920x1080@24hz and I still can't get BF3 to work properly or Arkham City to use high graphics settings when tri-def is enabled.

Last edited:
If you ignore 3D (don't plan to use it) or difference in resolution... How does this compare to the U2412M in terms of PQ and performance?

Video Review is finished, everything is linked to in my written review here:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...mi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html#post849785

First post has been updated.

I know everyone is different, excluding resolution (and assuming you got one without backlight bleed), would a S24A850 be better for mainly slower paced games, such as GW2? I play TF2, but not serious enough to be bothered by a bit of input lag.

I can't get over how ugly the asus is, and the lack of a decent stand puts the price the same as the Samsung here (Sweden), with better aftermarket stand anyway. I can't really decide on a screen, the glossy 2740 sounds good, as do the 24 and 27" Samsungs, even the U2212HM the GF has is too agressive AG for me, although I MIGHT be able to put up with it, comparing to my NEC makes me sad though.

Many thanks for your input!

Yeah, I would say a bleed-less 850D would be better since it's quite a bit bigger, has superior semi-glossy coating, a nicer bezel and similar image quality. The 850D does not have any input lag, so the main advantage of the Asus would be the extra hz (which the 850D may also support) and 3D which you wouldn't be using.

If you don't like the AG on the U2212, I doubt you would like any other matte IPS, except the Dell U2713, NEC P232W & semi-glossy HP ZR2740w (I don't know if these can actually be purchased yet), since aside from the 3 I listed, they all use the same coating as the U2212. You may also want to consider the new Eizo Foris FS2333 which comes out in October.

I have had mine for a week now.

Huge glow in lower left quarter my other HP s-ips did NOT have this problem.

The colors are great and 3d is nice too downloaded over 100gb of 3d content to try.
I would like to trade the monitor out and get one without the glow but shippig will make it a pain in the ass.

The colors are great and 3d is nice too downloaded over 100gb of 3d content to try.
I would like to trade the monitor out and get one without the glow but shippig will make it a pain in the ass.

Several people have complained about permanent, gray horizontal lines running across the screen, like a grid. I haven't been able to confirm if this affects only some units or if it's a design drawback because of the 3D feature. What have you noticed on yours?

Also, if you don't mind, could you tell how much distance is there between the bottom of screen (not the bezel) and the desk when set at its lowest level?

Lastly, can you comment on your experience using native 3D? I plan to use my PS3 for 3D games and movies.

Thanks.

Got my VG23AH a few days ago so I'll try to answer your questions. I can see the horizontal grey lines when I'm wearing my eyeglasses (haven't tested different pairs yet), but with my contact lenses they are completely invisible regardless of how far away I'm or what content I'm looking at. Unfortunately I prefer to wear glasses when on the computer, and with them on the grey lines are annoying enough to nearly be a dealbreaker. I'll try some other pairs though and see how it goes.

As for the 3D, I'm now convinced that 1920x1080 is simply too low a resolution for a passive 3D monitor of this size. The native resolution in 3D (540 vertically) is so low that it either looks jagged and low-res without AA, or overly blurry with it. Crosstalk is also a problem. Anytime I increased the 3D depth to a level where I could really "feel" the 3D the crosstalk became unacceptable. Overall I would rate the 3D capabilities a D+. That's actually better than most other 3D displays I've tried, but still a far cry from being good enough that you'd prefer it to 2D.

I measured the height of the screen (not bezel) at both ends of my VG23AH with the monitor at its lowest level. One side was actually about 1/8th of an inch higher than the other, but my desk is a cheap one that is both warped and unlevel. Regardless I don't notice it at all. The average height from the desk to the screen was exactly 4 inches.

I also have the glow in the lower left corner. I don't often notice it, but it can be a little distracting with very dark images/scenes. It's tolerable, but I wouldn't quite call it minor.

I was thinking about this monitor for some playback of 3D Blu-Ray concerts disks but you saying that ity is silly to watch Blu-Ray in low res. Not sure if anyplace like BestBuy will have any passive 3D setup. Is there a non 3D version of this monitor with the same screen Semi-glossy coating?

I had one of these but sold it because the gray lines drove me absolutely crazy. I didn't try looking at it with my contacts on but I wear glasses all the time so it wouldn't have mattered much anyway. I'd go so far as to say that it's the worst monitor I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few over the years. Maybe my particular display was bad or something, I don't know, but the lines were immediately noticeable as soon as I turned it on and I was never able to ignore them.

I also wasn't overly impressed by the 3D. I thought it did a half way decent job on Blu-Rays but in games it was lacking. The lines become more prominent when using the glasses (they turn black instead of gray, at least to my eyes). Guild Wars 2 was especially bad because it make text very hard to read.

On the plus side, the anti glare coating is really good and the colors were great as with any IPS panel.

what's the horizontal gray lines all about? It's about PWM or its just a defect monitor issue?

i only see the line while web browsing on white or light grey backgrounds (not often as thats why i hate reddit), monitor down at lowest setting is 4 inches from desk.

I concur with Oofloom on the resolution issue but its fun to let my nieces and nephews watch 3d rips on it.

3d gaming using tridef is nice but ALL the crosshairs are screwed up
I have BF3, MOHW, left for dead 1/2, serious sam BFE... look great but aiming is a pain

Got my VG23AH a few days ago so I'll try to answer your questions. I can see the horizontal grey lines when I'm wearing my eyeglasses (haven't tested different pairs yet), but with my contact lenses they are completely invisible regardless of how far away I'm or what content I'm looking at. Unfortunately I prefer to wear glasses when on the computer, and with them on the grey lines are annoying enough to nearly be a dealbreaker. I'll try some other pairs though and see how it goes.

As for the 3D, I'm now convinced that 1920x1080 is simply too low a resolution for a passive 3D monitor of this size. The native resolution in 3D (540 vertically) is so low that it either looks jagged and low-res without AA, or overly blurry with it. Crosstalk is also a problem. Anytime I increased the 3D depth to a level where I could really "feel" the 3D the crosstalk became unacceptable. Overall I would rate the 3D capabilities a D+. That's actually better than most other 3D displays I've tried, but still a far cry from being good enough that you'd prefer it to 2D.

I measured the height of the screen (not bezel) at both ends of my VG23AH with the monitor at its lowest level. One side was actually about 1/8th of an inch higher than the other, but my desk is a cheap one that is both warped and unlevel. Regardless I don't notice it at all. The average height from the desk to the screen was exactly 4 inches.

I also have the glow in the lower left corner. I don't often notice it, but it can be a little distracting with very dark images/scenes. It's tolerable, but I wouldn't quite call it minor.

Thanks a lot for your input. It looks like the gray lines are present by design and not in some units only unfortunately. What strikes me is that you can't see them if you take your eyeglasses off. This would help explain why some people perceive the lines in varying degrees or don't at all. Maybe the anti-reflective coating on eyeglasses has something to do with it.

I think I'm going to pass on this monitor and wait for something more reliable to come out. I wear prescription glasses myself and don't feel too comfortable gambling it.

To you guys that experienced that grey bar, what hz did you have the monitor at? Personally I planned on just using 60hz as my GPU often only pushes ~40-50fps in BF3 for most maps.

Sorry, seems I missed this one. I don't normally do monitors, so I tend to only skim posts quickly. Anyway... Afraid there's not much I can do about the shipping, but if you can send me a couple photos of this issue and the one you describe a few posts up, I can certainly look into your options as far as RMAs go.

Even though I sent mine back I still thought it was the best LCD monitor I'd ever seen. If not for the lines I might have kept it.

Pros:

Exceptional anti-glare coating. Strikes just about the perfect balance between low glare and low haze.

Very low Input lag. Below 8ms I'd say. Virtually indistinguishable from a CRT at same refresh rate.

My unit went up to 72hz @ native resolution. I find 60hz too slow for playing FPSs on any kind of display, so it was crucial that it could go above 70hz, and it did. (76hz didn't work for me).

Good color accuracy and overall picture quality (again, light AG helped). My unit needed very little adjustment, just like NCX's.

Cons:

Slight horizontal grey lines (resembling the scanlines of CRTs at low resolutions) were visible when wearing glasses, which was a dealbreaker for me as I prefer to wear glasses.

The 3D was not only poor, but actually made the monitor worse, as it is the cause of the horizontal lines. Crosstalk in 3D was unacceptable, as was the reduced resolution (540 vertically).

Poor screen uniformity. Bottom left quadrant of screen was noticeably lighter when displaying dark images. I found it distracting, but not quite a dealbreaker.

Not the fault of monitor, but not enough games support custom refresh rates. 72hz was not usable in most of the games I tried. I don't like to play FPSs at anything less than 70hz, so this was a serious problem for me.

Contrast only average. Games with night-day cycles looked far better in daytime. Very dark games like Arkham City, which looked beautiful on my plasma TV, looked very dull and flat, losing almost all sense of depth. But, again, this is typical for LCDs. I'm just one of the few that still has a lot of trouble accepting it. I'm gonna take a closer look at AMVA panels now though, which supposedly have dramatically superior contrast levels (due to deeper/blacker blacks).

Last edited:
Since I wear glasses I decided that passive 3D monitors is not for me. I wonder why manufactures have a hard time with QC and keep the edges the same without light bleed.

my 2 cents, having just bought the monitor

1) great review NCX
2) 3D performance: in my experience, you can actually sit as close to the monitor as you'd like (e.g. even 1-1.5ft away), it's just that your margin for error to avoid crosstalk is much lower.

Just got the VG23AH setup. Way better than my crappy Acer it replaced. No horizontal lines I can see so far. Left corner blacklight bleed though...got it's awful. Anyone get one of these w/o backlight bleed from AZ?

Excuse me users i'll want to do some questions about it ?

1 ) Can you say that this Asus VG23AH is even most glossy than a classic semi-glossy ?
2 ) And compared to Eizo FS2332 / 2333 how is the coating ? Same or Asus is most lighter ?
3 ) Have this Asus model the brightness auto-setting feature ?

LL

:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Excuse me users i'll want to do some questions about it ?

1 ) Can you say that this Asus VG23AH is even most glossy than a classic semi-glossy ?
2 ) And compared to the Eizo FS2332 / 2333 how is the coating ? Same or Asus is most lighter ?
3 ) Have this Asus model the brightness auto-setting feature ?

LL

:eek::eek::eek:

HELP

I just got mine two days ago, and it has pretty fantastic out of box colors, and is very fast for a non 120hz screen.

The problem is that it has THE WORST backlight bleeding I have ever witness in a monitor bar none. It's not IPS glow either. My 2290wa had very slight (practically unnoticeable) IPS glow and no bleed at all. Initially just the bottom left corner stood out, but now it's both the bottom left and upper right. Putting up an all black screen and stepping back to up to fifteen feet still shows what essentially looks like a bright grey screen that has a black rectangle that was shifted about 45 degrees placed in the center. All four corners bleed pretty bad, but only the larger corners stand out badly during normal viewing. Trying to watch any kind of movie is an utter disaster; which is sad, because despite this issue I absolutely love everything else about the monitor.

As for the grey lines; yeah they are noticeable, but only with the glasses on. It adds what seems like a very light glow coating to everything that's in 3D as well. I'm not sure how other 3D monitors look compared to this, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I didn't actually buy the monitor for 3D anyway, but because it came with it (I paid for that feature), I was going to use it as a first foray to see if the effect actually enhanced gaming in any meaningful way. I ended up playing Wipeout HD Fury, and it was pretty damn sweet looking, although that 3D glow, or whatever made all of the cars seem like they were coated in a golden wax.

Contacted Asus support a few minutes ago to see if they will replace it. But seeing as how it seems to be a common issue (NCX, you got really lucky with your screen!), I'm not sure if the second or third will be any different. Might even be worse simply because this screen doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels.

Last edited:
Hang on, when people are mentioning the grey horizontal lines and glasses, are they talking about eyeglasses or the 3D glasses? I'm not getting how eyeglasses exacerbate the grey line issue.

Back