Asus VG236HE or NEC PA271W for gaming?

Murzilka

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everybody, -)

I am currently using the Asus VG236 monitor which is a 23" 1920x1080 120hz, and I am thinking is it worth changing it to NEC PA271W regular version?

Primary use of the monitors is Skyrim and Batllefield 3. :D

I really dont care about the "3D" stuff, but 120hz and additional smoothness of the 120hz panel is a very nice thing to have.

At the same time I really, really like the correct colors. I am one of those who can see the difference between 6500K and 6509K color temperatures.

So, I would like to know what will I loose/win in this transaction. Should I stick to the current monitor for my games or should I get the NEC instead.

I am interested in particular to know wther I will loose the vivid and deep colors that I currently have on my TN display, due to lower contrast on the NEC display and different technology.

What do you think?
Thank you.

The NEC is meant for photo work and comes with many bells and whistles you will never use yet will pay a premium for (this is not a bad thing when using the monitor for its intended purposes).

It has to much input lag due to the scaling features, aiming will feel slow and inaccurate and you will be stuck with <60fps in games, unless you like constant screen tearing and will turn off Vsync for higher frame rates. There will also be more ghosting compared to the Asus. I have the VG236H along with the Samsung S27A850D which also has scaling features and similar input lag. There is just to much input lag for PC FPS gaming when coming from a lag free 120hz display.

All matte IPS panels are made by LG=super grainy matte coating, so you will have to forget how clear and vibrant the bright and sunny out door environments look on the Asus in BF3 due to the glossy screen and get used to dull and grainy look.

If you want a 1440p 27" for FPS gaming the input lag free Apple Cinema Display is the only good option since the HP ZR274 is also very grainy

If you want correct colors buy a colorimeter like the X-Rite Color Munki.
http://www.amazon.com/Xrite-CMUNDIS...OM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1323671527&sr=8-11

No one can say if you will or will not lose the deep colors since we don't know how you have the Asus set up.

Just for reference here is the Asus VG236H (left) next to the IPS PA238Q, both are calibrated
Untitled.png

comparison001.jpg

The main visual difference are the wide viewing angles IPS panels have and the top to bottom gamma shift on a TN vs IPS (TN=darker colros on top which get light going down). Example:
comparison034-1.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for answer. The VG236H is a really good display especially for a TN display... Hence my doubts about moving to the bigger NEC, which was intially built with different purposes.-)
But honestly, the input lag does not bother me, I've been playing games for years on a Viewsonic VX2435WM. lol
But, the ghosting, that would put me off for sure. Does the NEC have a lot of ghosting? In comparison, with, say, DELL U2711.
And one more question, if I may:
Is it possible to adjust RGB values and gamma on the Apple display, when it is connected to the PC. (I have a 480gtx)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_spectraview_reference_271.htm
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2010/test-nec-pa271w-bk-teil22.html#Reaktionsverhalten

PA2711 and the U2711 have similar response times, the PA is said to be a bit faster according to TFT Central.

Pretty sure a special program and some trickery is require to adjust the colors with Windows, I would browse the big ACD thread on [H] for the proper information since I don't really know. According to most reviews though, the ACD comes with very good color presets.

If you aren't worried about input lag get the Samsung S27A850D since it uses semi-glossy coating. The response times are very similar to the NEC and Dell so the ghosting will be noticeably worse compared to the Asus. I looked up the Viewsonic and it had a ton of lag, the displays we are discussing have less lag. You can adjust the Samsung until your heart contends. Just make sure you can get it from a place with a good return/exchange policy due to the back lighting issues. Buy.com seems to get the best place for Americans and Memory Express for Canadians like myself.

The Asus will still be better for gaming though

Last edited:
Back