Asus USB-AC56 won't hit 450mbps?

Stiletto

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently got this wireless adapter for my desktop to connect to my Asus RT-N66U. Now, my six-year-old Alienware laptop's Killer NIC manages to connect to my network at 450Mbps. However, the Asus can only hit 300. What am I missing? Is the AC56 only capable of exceeding 300Mbps on an ac router?

What AP do you have? What is your channel width set to on your AP? What Client OS is the RT-N66U plugged into? What drivers did you load? What does your signal strength on the client look like? What does the router say your clients signal strength looks like?

Also, that USB adapter has known software issues ASUS never fixed. The fix is uninstalling the ASUS device drivers are applying the drivers found here instead: http://www.edimax.com/edimax/downlo...wireless_adapters_ac1200_dual-band/ew-7822uac

These work as both devices use the same internal chipset.

RT-N66U. 40 Mhz. Not sure what you mean by this question. Windows 7 x64 drivers. Excellent. Excellent.

To be clear: reception isn't a problem. It's a strong 300Mbps. But I want to know why this adapter won't go to 450Mbps.

Are you on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

You will only get 300Mbps out of that USB adapter on 2.4Ghz unless you are utilizing TurboQAM.

What is the exact model of the Killer NIC in your laptop? Some higher end wireless NICs are 3x3, rather than 2x2 which is your USB-AC56.

RT-N66U. 40 Mhz. Not sure what you mean by this question. Windows 7 x64 drivers. Excellent. Excellent.

To be clear: reception isn't a problem. It's a strong 300Mbps. But I want to know why this adapter won't go to 450Mbps.

"Is the AC56 only capable of exceeding 300Mbps on an ac router?"

YES 802.11ac is required to use a 80Mhz channel width.

You only have 2 spatial streams available. So 5Ghz +40Mhz channel width will result in 300Mbps.

If you can configure it as 5Ghz + 80Mhz channel width you'll have 867Mbps.

You'd have to buy a 3 spatial stream adapter configured for 5Ghz using 40Mhz channel width to get a 450Mbps connection.

It's on 5GHz at the moment. Disappointing, but the upgrade was primarily to reduce interference since I'm in an apartment complex, and it's accomplished that. Thanks for the info.

Back