ASUS Unveils Lowest Radiation Motherboards

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Terry Olaes, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Terry Olaes

Terry Olaes I Used to be the [H] News Guy

Press release:

2. Loki Sunrider

Loki Sunrider [H]Lite

Thank God for that ! Now I'll be able to have children ! LOL !

3. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm still going to wrap my harddrives in tin foil.

4. MrValentine

MrValentine [H]ard|Gawd

Should [H] start putting geiger counter readings in their reviews??

I wonder what the motivation for this was? NASA, medical field, laboratory use? etc. I doubt it was for the normal end user.

5. SockMan!

SockMan! 2[H]4U

This isn't something I'd pay extra for. My computer is under my desk several feet from where I sit and the motherboard is in a metal chassis. Any reduction in radiation would be negligible especially considering the other components in the case and the AC adapters littering the house. The health benefits of a reduced radiation motherboard (if there even are any) would be insignificant.

Sitting in a chair for hours straight will probably do an order of magnitude more damage to my health than electromagnetic radiation ever could.

6. Ualdayan

Ualdayan [H]ard|Gawd

"ASUS Protect 3.0 with Advanced Protection Shields"

All power to forward shields!

7. ProfessorKaos64

ProfessorKaos64 [H]ard|Gawd

Well THANKS ASUS, that won't take back the third nipple I got :(

8. phobos512

phobos512 Limp Gawd

LOL this press release is frakkin hilarious. There isn't a single "real" thing in it, it's all nonsensical buzzwords. Electromagnetic interference is what I do, I've been working in the field for over six and a half years. Now, if Asus were to contact me, I'd be more than happy to set them up with some military standard testing in my lab, so that they could actually say something meaningful to people in the field who know what this stuff is.

That said, non-ionizing radiation (that is, what your microwave and most any electronic component emits to varying degrees) is not directly harmful to humans or animals - it is the heating from those fields that can affect you, but it takes a TON of energy to develop fields that intense. The average home computer puts out around 10-15 Volts per meter in my experience directly in the vicinity of the power supply and power supply components, which drops off very fast over distance (inversely proportional to distance)...In general you need 200 V/m to even start to be concerned. There are radar systems that don't even generate fields that intense.

9. JimmiG

JimmiG 2[H]4U

Even if the board actually generate less electro magnetic radiation, I doubt it matters unless you always use your computer with the mobo pressed up against your head or your crotch...

10. Nemesis999

Nemesis999 2[H]4U

Translation:

11. wtiger

wtiger [H]ard|Gawd

Does it really matter? Almost every computer is sheathed in interlocking steel sheets known as the case. I would think this would already be pretty darn effective at shielding em radiation. Not that it really matters

12. Elledan

Elledan [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010

All too true :) Even discounting the fact that most PCs are safely enclosed in a bloody Faraday cage (except where people used Plexiglas or such), which will reduce effect EM radiation produced by any components inside the case to below background level.

Score one more for clueless marketing drones addressing even more clueless consumer drones :p

13. Daemas

Daemas Gawd

screw that, pump the radiation through me if it'll get me cheaper products.

14. NKDietrich

NKDietrich [H]ardness Supreme

I'm not sure I can, in good conscience, buy a product from any company that would make a press release like this.

15. quixotic

quixotic Gawd

I'm not sure I can even continue to use the products I've already bought from a company that releases bullshit like this.

16. Nemesis999

Nemesis999 2[H]4U

Psht, ya, might as well throw that garbage in the trash....

or better yet, I'll take it!

17. Grimgor

Grimgor [H]Lite

I been using computers for over 25 years. My dick hasn't fallen off, yet.

Does Asus offer a homeopathic herbal sack along with the motherboard as well? One must take all necessary precautions, ya know!

18. crazyassazian

crazyassazian Limp Gawd

19. WhiteFireDragon

WhiteFireDragon Limp Gawd

great! more marketing gimmick. i think this is the lamest one yet

20. Elledan

Elledan [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010

It's more lame than those ferrite beads on PSU cables, which is impressive in itself :D

21. SixtyWattMan

SixtyWattMan [H]ardness Supreme

Does it really matter? I mean is there anything that DOESN'T give you cancer?