ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming Wifi (mATX) any good with 9900K?

Looking to put together a box with a smaller (mid/mini tower) case with ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming Wifi mATX (while appealing, appears to have mixed online reviews!).

How stable is this board, what heat sink, power supply, RAM would you recommend for it.
Any worthy alternatives to this board?

Any feedback relating to 9900K O/C, heating and recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Nasgul - if you were to recommend a motherboard for 9900K which one would that be (regardless of form factor)?

Thanks - there don't seem to be decent mATX options suitable to pair with an OC'd 9900K without adding some serious cooling.
So now looking at an ATX (not Gigabyte), more like middle tier MSI, Asus.

Also a bigger, mid-tower like a Fractal S2/R6, or Lian Li. :) Choices, choices!

Wow! Amazing setup - yeah seems very clean and conducive to cooling nicely.

I will definitely strongly consider your recommendation(s) - need to first zero in on a motherboard and then everything else will rapidly follow.
Right now also trying to figure out if I should wait or buy - I'm not optimistic that any decent Intel motherboard-CPU combos will be on sale during the holidays :)

Thanks again for sharing your thoughtful experiences.

If you're limited to matx I'd go for the maximus xi gene, it's the only matx Z390 which is really oriented toward the high end.

Thanks D-EJ915 ... Maximus XI Gene is really nice ... but a bit expensive, like $399 ... Now I'm thinking MSI Ace or Asus Maximus XI Hero ... I'm concerned about mATX cooling - ATX seems like the way to go w/9900K.

Might get it before BF ... memory will become more expensive in Dec, and if combo goes down in price I'll hopefully get a 30-day price adjust - MC is pretty good with pricing.

Last edited:
Back