Asus TUF Z270 "Dual M.2" question.

ZDPhoenix

Gawd
My gaming rig's mobo is an older ASUS Maximus Hero VII. The board disables items when in "m.2" mode.

I also have a Asus TUF Z270 that I don't see anything listed as being disabled when using m.2 drives.

So my questions about the ASUS TUF Z270 are this.

1. It looks like it has two M.2 Slots. Can I install 2 M.2's at once? I have a 2TB and a 1 TB and this would be amazing.
2. Is there anything disabled when using both m.2 slots? I don't see anything, but it's been almost a decade since I made a new build like this (and never with M.2's). It's like learning everything all over again.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Asus Z270 Mark 1.png
    Asus Z270 Mark 1.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 0
It tells you right on the bottom of the "specifications" screens for the mobo how you can configure it.

Hero VII
*1: The PCIe 2.0 x16 slot (PCIEX4_3) shares bandwith with PCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slot. The default setting is Auto Mode, which automatically optimizes the system bandwidth. If you install a PCIe 2.0 x4 device, the system will automatically detect and disable PCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slot.
*2: The PCIe 2.0 x1 slots (PCIEX1_1/2/3) will be disabled when PCIe 2.0 x16 slot (PCIEX4_3 ) operates under x4 speed or M.2 mode.
*3: The supported functions depends on the CPU installed.

TUF
*1. The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.

Even though the TUF doesn't say that anything happens, I'm sure there's some kind of trickery involved. Probably involving the PCIe slots on the motherboard. I'd definitely give the manual a good read over on both of those motherboards.

It looks like you can run both m.2 slots on the Hero as long as you don't mind losing your PCIe x1 slots.

Back