ASUS TOP 4870 Bios Flash Available

Waiting for early adopters comments on this, but sounds good! Oh wait, I got an 4850 :(

hmm seems nice, I will take this and shoot it over to my roommate to try it out.

Yah it has user feedback in that thread. Seems like 850 or so is a pretty standard clock on regular air

thinking of trying this when i get home tonight. anyone here at [H] give it a shot yet?

Yep, loving it! Potentially limitless overclocking and it doesn't seem like it needs the fan profile hacking crap because the fans run at decent speeds now. Awesome BIOS. Definitely worth the $.

never flashed a card before, can someone more knowledgeable give a step by step? in this xtreme systems forum thread xMrBunglex wrote:

USING ATI WINFLASH TO FLASH YOUR BIOS

you have to run it through the command prompt.

Step 1: create a new folder in the root directory of your C drive (so you can easily navigate to it in DOS).

Step 2: copy all the ATI WinFlash files and the new BIOS to this new folder.

Step 3: open command prompt and navigate to your new folder.

Step 4: use the normal ATIFlash command: "atiwinflash -f -p 0 4870.rom"

it should take a minute or two to flash. it will tell you to reboot. you'll have to reinstall your video driver. but everything worked for me after that.

i'm running vista, can this be done through vista?

This BRICKED my 4870... Well, winflash did at least... I successfully saw two friends do it, so I tried it (against my usual NO WINFLASHING policy) but mine froze at 60%

I'm making a BIOS USB thumb drive to re-flash to the default bios as we speak!

Wish me luck

The best way to do it is with a floppy drive ( or thumb drive), so just create a DOS boot disk in windows, copy atiflash (you can get it at techpowerup.com) onto the disk, copy the ROM image onto the disk then reboot into it. Flash using the command "atiflash -f -p 0 (bios name).ROM

Best to save your original BIOS first. I believe the command for that is atiflash -s 0 OLDBIOS.BIN or whatever you want to name it.

Of course, you would want to use those xtremesystems instructions if you don't have a floppy drive laying around. ;) but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm using the BIOS....it doesn't do anything as far overclocking for me. I have to downclock to 770 from 815 anyway, but I keep it for the fan profile.

Chances are, if you can't do 790 stable...you needn't waste your time with the TOP bios, anyway IMO.

This BRICKED my 4870... Well, winflash did at least... I successfully saw two friends do it, so I tried it (against my usual NO WINFLASHING policy) but mine froze at 60%

I'm making a BIOS USB thumb drive to re-flash to the default bios as we speak!

Wish me luck

Yeah you can't use winflash for this one...you should have used atiflash in DOS. Hopefully you can recover it. :D

Yeah you can't use winflash for this one...you should have used atiflash in DOS. Hopefully you can recover it. :D

Well, actually, my best friend tried winflash right in front of me... After my co-worker (with a stack of 4 4870s NIB beside him) did the same thing. Both worked absolutely fine.

Of course, my system froze when I tried it.

So, 2/3 cases worked... Not good enough for me.

However, I flashed right to the Asus BIOS without flashing to the original BIOS (I mean, I could just grab another 4870 if I hosed it, so why risk flashing to the original BIOS) and the card POSTS just fine... However, it still gives the 3 red LED "Error" on post, which worries me if I ever need to RMA the damn thing.

I need to re-build my setup to see if it actually removed the CCC lock...

=/

atiflash and atiwinflash both don't recognize my card even though it's there with 8.7 drivers and working fine... =/

=/

atiflash and atiwinflash both don't recognize my card even though it's there with 8.7 drivers and working fine... =/

I had that problem...I had an older version of atiflash. You probably need the latest version from techpowerup.com. 3.39 or something like that.

Well, actually, my best friend tried winflash right in front of me... After my co-worker (with a stack of 4 4870s NIB beside him) did the same thing. Both worked absolutely fine.

I should have rephrased that...I meant it's not a good idea to use Winflash. As I understood it, though....how were your friends able to override the vendor ID mismatch? I was under the impression that only atiflash could force flash this BIOS?

I was using ATIFlash 3.6

And I'm using Vista Ultimate, I've tried booting to a CD that has ways of modifying NTFS partitions, but still.. =/

I'll keep tryin I guess...

Might help before flashing to reset your cpu/ram to stock clocks. Overclocking cpu massively through fsb sometimes @ the pci slot as well on some motherboards which might be a problem during gpu bios flashing.

I should have rephrased that...I meant it's not a good idea to use Winflash. As I understood it, though....how were your friends able to override the vendor ID mismatch? I was under the impression that only atiflash could force flash this BIOS?

The instructions in Porter_'s post avoids the vendor ID mismatch... The latest Winflash tool doesn't have a problem with this, apparently, when using the Asus BIOS. Other Bioses, like the Diamond one, have vendor ID problems.

Oh, and btw... I fixed the card. It's running stable at 835/1100 in CCC as we speak, and I'm just about to try 840/1100 again in 3Dmark!

Mine is set to lock the PCI-E bus...

Still can't get the right setup... =/

Maybe install it in an XP system and try to flash it from there? heh...

I was using ATIFlash 3.6

And I'm using Vista Ultimate, I've tried booting to a CD that has ways of modifying NTFS partitions, but still.. =/

I'll keep tryin I guess...

Yeah 3.6 is the one I had to download. Worked fine for me.

K finally got it...

NTFS4DOS + HP USB Bootable Stick Utlity + Basic DOS files

Installin new drivers now :)

K finally got it...

NTFS4DOS + HP USB Bootable Stick Utlity + Basic DOS files

Installin new drivers now :)

Killer!

Now, if only I could find a way to force the CCC settings all the time... It only forces the settings 1/10 tries, which is freaking lame.

I tested fine at 840/1100 and scored 16081 3Dmarks in 06... I'm totally stoked.

Gonna work on a Vmod as soon as I get my new Koolance VID 487 in (I know, I know. Koolance bad... Their products have been wicked since they went to aluminum free stuff, so I'm going to try and help their name a bit now!)

Looks like I'm getting about 830/1100, with stock cooling ofcourse... D= at 850 is what it auto-tuned to but I get artifacts in ATITool at anything above 830...

Not bad :p

I've never believed in flashing anything in Windows. Especially a graphics card in Vista!

I'd use this if there was anything out that actually pushed my cards ... it seems almost a waste to flash your card(s) if you are already maxing out.

However, I flashed right to the Asus BIOS without flashing to the original BIOS (I mean, I could just grab another 4870 if I hosed it, so why risk flashing to the original BIOS) and the card POSTS just fine... However, it still gives the 3 red LED "Error" on post, which worries me if I ever need to RMA the damn thing.

I cant using winflash gives a checksum error and I even have an Asus 4870. Not sure how they got it to work, it shouldnt.

I cant using winflash gives a checksum error and I even have an Asus 4870. Not sure how they got it to work, it shouldnt.

What's your OS?

I've spoken to a few people that say it's worked for them now... All are on XP32.

STOP trying winflash and use atiflash in DOS. Don't be so damn lazy and make a bootable usb key. :p

I made it simple

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/flash/

Install the HP utility
Format and make it an MS-DOS Bootable Device, Using the dos.zip files when it asks for them

Then install the NTFS4DOS program and have it send the files to the USB stick again...

Then you can boot to the USB stick and mount the NTFS partition and run atiflash, also included on mah server.

Just pick the rom of your choice :)

LOL, it's more work when your card shits the bed! :D

Im about 20 and 0 now ;) Did a TON of flashing before it was possible to overlcock past 700 without flashing. That woulda been a lot of annoying dos booting and typing.

There were a few times it scared me though and the screen would freeze for a few mins then it would say "all done lets reboot!" or whatever.

My flash took about 10 seconds...

I literally typed the DOS command, turned around to look at the TV, looked back and it said "Reboot, Flash complete" or something like that...

Either way, no problems so far 830/1100 is pretty decent... compared to 750/900.. I'm not positive if better cooling would help or not... maybe voltmod time? -_-

same thing happened to me few hrs back.(card wont post btw) , so i hooked up an old 8500gt on the upper pci-e slot to get display and 4870 on the bottom one , it does get dectected though

how did you recover it ? by using Blazestorm 's way ?

atiflash -i doesnot show anything from cmd prompt in xp 32 pls help

if yes then
Flash using the command "atiflash -f -p 0 (bios name).ROM

i have my card hooked up on the bottom slot now i guess that makes it -p 1 now ?

i will try this tomo morn as its already 9am

i revived the card back up again but ccc wont install and for some reason my spdif onboard to logitech is dead well .. any idea

edit : 8.6 just installed fine its the 8.7 which is not working

tried it on my Visiontek and it worked great, however the fan is noisy most of the time (39%).
i guess i'll use a profile for the desktop use. while gaming i don't care about the noise anyway.
BTW my card is working fine at 850/1100, vantage and COD4 stable.

I flashed my Visiontek 4870 last week to the Asus Top bios running 815/925 now. Everything look great. Fan noise increase a little at idle. Not care fan noise at gaming. Now the idle temp is dropped from 80c to 62c, and no more than 68c after heavy gaming. I am going to try 850/110 to see if my card can handle it.

Beware, no more warranty if you flash your bios. Do it at your own risk.

Flashed my Sapphire HD 4870x2 750/900 to ASUS Top Bios and it is currently running 800/1000. I flashed the bios via the floppy disk method (boot floopy + atiflash floppy) and so far it is working out great. Fan throttles up noticeably higher but this is not a problem once rivatuner kicks in and lowers the fan setting to my desired speed, which is at 38%. I am using hotkeys via rivatuner to raise the fan speed to 60% during gaming. This fan speed seems to provide the best results without my case sounding like a harrier jump jet about to VTOL.

Flashing to the ASUS Top Bios also seem to have stop the ever so annoying reboot/crash to desktop I was experiencing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will evaluate further to see if this has indeed resolve this reboot issue.

So far, I am very pleased with the outcome. :D

I've dumped ASUS Top BIOS and replaced it with self modified bios using RBE, the Radeon Bios Editor. I ditched ASUS Top BIOS mainly due to two reasons:

- Fan is set permanently at 100%. It was getting annoying after a while, especially when the computer first boots up.
- GPU core and memory is permanently clocked at 800/1000. I prefer automatic throttling to lower clocks if the card is not being pushed.

I did not want to reflash with original stock bios because of piss poor fan settings. With RBE, I've edited the bios to:

- throttle down core and memory clocks to 600/600 in 2D mode @ 1.10v
- throttle up core and memory clocks to 800/1000 in 3D mode @ 1.25v
- initial fan speed @ 45% until temps hit 70c (rivatuner brings it down to 38% at startup). From 70c - 100c, fan speed will automatically throttle from 45% to 100%.

I am currently using rivatuner to manually increase the fan speed during gaming (via hotkeys). I prefer it this way since I can control exactly what I want to set it to.

It turns out that my reboot/crash issue was due to my ram OC. I decided to link and sync the ram to fsb and so far I haven't had any reboots or crashes.

Anyone interested in flashing their ATI cards, RBE is the way to do it. My 4870x2 is running without issues (with cat 8.10 hotfix 2 - no CCC, instead ATi Tool) after the bios flash and I cannot be more happier with the results.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/154/2

I also used RBE from wihtin windows coupled with winflash. I wasn't able to flash my 4870 1gb to the Powercolor bios but i was able to modify my vanilla bios a bit...i just set it to the powercolor core speed but it didnt stick. the overdrive settings from CCC dont stick either but then again they never did. I'll have to mess with it some more but RBE is a great program.

Back