ASUS TOP 4870 Bios Flash Available

This worked great for me. Before this flash I was able to do 780/1000 stable. After I flashed I am now able to do 825/1100 fully stable on stock cooling. Not only that but the fan speed actually ramps up like it is supposed to. Games are running much better than before as well. This Asus TOP Bios is a must have for 4870 owners!

I flashed this BIOS. It gives like a .02 percent performance gain. Not worth potentially ruining a card over. HD 4870 overclocking is all but useless. Nothing like the gains you see with a GTX 260 or GTX 280.

I flashed this BIOS. It gives like a .02 percent performance gain. Not worth potentially ruining a card over. HD 4870 overclocking is all but useless. Nothing like the gains you see with a GTX 260 or GTX 280.

I haven't tested this BIOS, but I really must take issue with the 0.2% gain. There is absolutely no reason to believe OCing the 4870 would somehow achieve worse results proportionately to a GTX260 or any card.

No game is 100% GPU, so obviously an OC of 10% will not achieve a 10% speed increase, unless the only thing holding you back is your GPU. This will be true no matter what the card. You can measure the pure GPU speed gains however, using certain benchmarks. Benchmarks are far better than FRAPS runs for this sort of thing, since FRAPS runs are notoriously fickle.

As an example of pure GPU performance gains, using the exact same drivers, I achieved a GPU score of ~8300 in 3DMark Vantage (3 runs never varied by more than 10 points) with the default clocks of 750/900, and a score of 9150 when OCed to 800/1100. Again, the GPU results never varied by more than 20 points in 3 runs.

I have been using the Asus Top bios with our Visiontek 4870 for almost 3 months. So far so good. Especially the fan fix make my idle temp drop from 78c to 60c.

you got it reversed, an increase in 10% in 4870 is like 20% overclock gain on the gt200s. Overclocking on GT200 is almost useless because the retarded architecture is not very scalable

Back