ASUS to customer: we don't care if you didn't cause the problem. We still won't fix motherboard.

No sense catering to the 1% when 99% of consumers (enthusiasts included) will not ever buy any CPU even approaching $1000. Putting the delicate parts on the motherboard, which is a much lower margin part compared to the CPU, creates a lot of problems for the consumer. Much incentive for the motherboard company to tell you to f off.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone would manage to mangle the pins on a CPU. In my experience they aren't anywhere as delicate as Intel LGA sockets are purported to be.

I don't think it's 1%. Most people still spend more on their CPU than their mainboard.

Vast majority of bent CPU pins would be from dropping the cpu or odd angle placement while trying to get it in the socket. Personally, I would love open die cpus to return, but I understand why they wont.

I was AMD CPU's exclusively until last year or two (couldn't afford Intel) but I prefer having the pins on the motherboard. It might just be in my mind but it seems much more comfortable to me to not have pins on the CPU while I'm handling it

I would love open die cpus to return, but I understand why they wont.

maybe Intel / AMD could offer open die version but you have to agree to wave the warranty if the die is damaged (even if out of the box because, well, you know ...)

Many times when removing my am4 heatsinks across multiple builds, the cpu pulls out of the socket with the cooler. Especially true with the screw in kind since it has to come straight up and you cannot twist it to break the tims bond.

Actually their warranty explicitly calls out they won’t RMA for bent CPU pins because that is not a manufacturing issue. And they shouldn’t. It’s basically IMPOSSIBLE to have been manufactured that way since they are machined.

The pins were probably bent as you or your friend took off the plastic cover. That’s it. There’s no evil Asus here.

Sell the board on eBay as is with the explanation the CPU pins are bent and someone will buy it for ~$40 and fix it. (Typically)

Sorry, but the onus for this issue is not on Asus.
OK so this is a late reply, but still necessary. I have done any number of builds and this is the first time ever that there were bent pins. Also, according to ASUS, 14 pins were built. If I had bent the pins, there would have been a lot more than 14.

Asus support told me to take a picture when I RMA'd it too.

Initially they said that they wouldn't cover pin damage as it was my fault (and in this case it was), but I sent it anyway, expecting to pay the money for it to be reflowed. They just repaired it and sent it back, no charge. That was a much more expensive board though so it might have effected the service quality. .

Of course I'd already bought a replacement board by then, so I've had a Maximus IX Apex just sitting in a box under my desk for about a year. Really should ebay that lol

Dealing with their X470 Prime right now and it has not been fun. Almost no solid way to trouble shoot this pos, even ISO testing has been a pita. Swapped CPU coolers and it just wont boot. Weirdest shit I have ever seen in my years doing consumerPC hardware installation.

Back