ASUS to customer: we don't care if you didn't cause the problem. We still won't fix motherboard.

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by x509, Jun 14, 2018.

1. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

I am helping a friend build a system based on a low-end ASUS board, cost about $120 at the egg. I'm doing the actual system build. I'm an experienced system builder, with at least 8 systems built in the last 20+ years, and never any issues around CPU socket damage.

When we installed the CPU into the motherboard, it would not POST with all four memory slots filled. It did post with only two slots filled, and we did the usual substitution tests to establish that two memory slots were detective. So we went the board into ASUS for warranty repair.

Their response was that there were 12 (or 14?) CPU pins bent, and there was physical damage, they would not fix the board at their expense. We actually escalated the call all the way to third-level support and then to the support department manager. All said the same thing. Unlike the others, the support manager seemed knowledgeable, because he is also a system builder. I gave several reasons for why I didn't cause the bent pins, (which I won't list out here), and the support manager said it probably wasn't my fault. BUT HE STILL REFUSED TO HONOR THE WARRANTY.

Early in the call, the support manager said I should have first photographed the CPU socket with a high-resolution digital camera as a way to inspect the pins, since it's impossible to detect a few bent pins with normal vision (at least for my vision).
    I have never heard this recommendation before, and how many of us have such a camera. A cellphone camera won't do the trick here.

So what ASUS is basically saying is, "You have a warranty, but good luck enforcing it." Bye ASUS, I'm looking for alternatives for my friend's build right now and for my own next high-end build in 3-4 months.

x509

2. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

The call I'm describing in my first message took about 90 minutes on the phone talking with four different support people. We ended up with a Level 3 guy who said the same thing as the original RMA tech, plus first level and second level support. So we asked to speak to the Support Manager, who normally doesn't take calls.

The support manager called the next day and said the same thing, and we thought, "We're done with ASUS." But 20 minutes later, the support manager called me friend to say that HIS management wants to talk with my friend, but he also said that they wouldn't repair or replace the board. I'll post an update after my friend gets that call.

x509

3. DTN107

DTN107 [H]ardness Supreme

I always take pics of the socket for any RMA or sale.

Why? Because it is the most sensitive part of the motherboard and if an accident happened, it can be difficult to determine the cause.

A decent smart phone (even an old iphone 5) should be able to take a picture of it. A cheapo camera with macro setting should be able to as well.

Good luck with your RMA cause but I'll be honest, it will be an uphill fight. I hope it works out though.

KENNYB and Sulphademus like this.
  4. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

Actually I've taken high res photos from my phone, when selling used boards. At certain angles it's very obvious if there are bent pins.

5. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

Well, it's now Wednesday and the ASUS management guy still hasn't called. So if some management guy thought he should call my friend, it obviously wasn't any kind of priority. So adios, ASUS. I've been using their boards in all my builds for over 20 years now, with great success, but this RMA issue has me really angry.

6. KingGlade

KingGlade n00bie

That's scary man. I have purchased my first ASUS MB and I hope that I don't have any issues with it.

7. x509

x509 [H]ard|Gawd

I've purchased a bunch of ASUS boards and been very happy. That's why I recommended ASUS for my friend's system. Post #5 in this thread, on June 20. Well it's now July 12 and ASUS still hasn't called. So as far as ASUS is concerned, I'm outta here. Those schmucks "saved" $115 by not repairing my friend's system for free, but that cost them business from me just in 2018: a new ROG or similar motherboard that supports 8 RAM slots, a 1060-class vid card with enough VRAM to drive a 4 K display, possibly a new high-end router.

My friend got a Gigabyte motherboard, installed easily, booted up right away. As good as ASUS, and better in some ways. Only niggle is that their front panel connector "G Connector" doesn't help any with those weird cables. And the BIOS colors are garish. So it's adios, ASUS.

8. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

Wow that's some serious shit. I haven't had an Asus board since X58. I've read nothing but horror stories about their RMA practices. Corsair did the same to me and I haven't owned a Corsair product in years. Little by little certain companies lose my business. Does it hurt them? Hell no, they have billions, but at least they won't get another red cent from me. I'm happy.

9. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

[H] tip. you can fairly easily bend pins back in place with a magnifying lense (or a decent camra) and an xacto knife

10. Mr. Bluntman

Mr. Bluntman [H]ardness Supreme

I've heard of ASUS long since screwing their customers since the Core 2 era, that's no surprise. I only ended up with one of their boards because it was in a killer combo (used, bought on the forums here). But Corsair? Really? Their PSUs and RAM are go-tos for me.

This x3. I've rescued a couple "dead" 775 and 115x boards this way for buddies.

11. willdearborn

willdearborn Limp Gawd

If you are within 30 days of purchase, why not return the board to newegg? If they sent it to you damaged I'm pretty sure they will swap it out for a new one.

Mr. Bluntman likes this.
  12. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Actually their warranty explicitly calls out they won’t RMA for bent CPU pins because that is not a manufacturing issue. And they shouldn’t. It’s basically IMPOSSIBLE to have been manufactured that way since they are machined.

The pins were probably bent when you or your friend took off the plastic cover. That’s it. There’s no evil Asus here.

Sell the board on eBay as is with the explanation the CPU pins are bent and someone will buy it for ~$40 and fix it. (Typically)

Sorry, but the onus for this issue is not on Asus.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    KENNYB and Ocellaris like this.
  13. legcramp

legcramp [H]ardForum Junkie

That may be the case but ASUS is shit in general.

14. nEo717

nEo717 [H]Lite

File for Shipping damage and use Asus message of physical damage as part of proof... or, recontact nEgg and let them know when you got the board it had shipping damage.

15. KingGlade

KingGlade n00bie

That's garbage! I have owned a fair amount of ASUS products, and I hope that I don't run into any of those issues dealing with warranty if I have any problems.

I have had issues with Corsair PSU's failing, but they didn't give me any problems replacing them. I have had excellent luck with their RAM, however.

16. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

ASUS support does suck. That said, new parts should always be returned to the retailer for a replacement. Dealing with any support instead of just getting a replacement from egg or amazon is 1.) going to take way longer and 2.) be more likely to have issues.

This is also a good reason to have some self control and not be one of those guys that orders parts one at a time over the course of months. By the time you have the parts needed to test your purchased components your return window is gone.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    horrorshow, Emission and Nebulous like this.
  17. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Limp Gawd

ASUS has been garbage since long before that, the 2000s was a particularly dark time in their history.

It started out with the capacitor plague (which they often refused to do warranty repairs for) and then shoddy engineering on high end boards. I had a few buddies with high end Athlon 64 boards of theirs with the most bizarre issues you'd never believe. One of them had a problem where the RAID controller would predictably cause BSODs in Windows, which turned out to be a well known design fault. ASUS had crammed too much functionality on the board, to the point where bus crosstalk caused it to be unstable. The fix if I recall was something ridiculous like disabling the legacy ports in the BIOS.

But after the capacitor plague, they moved right into the ROHS solder plague in 2006. Cracked BGA joints on chipsets and surface mount chips killed swaths of their and ASRock boards, and even more for HP and Dell machines which used their OEM boards. I don't think that stopped being a thing until 2010-2011. I can still find Compaq/HP machines to this day from that era with broken chipsets due to the bad ROHS solder.

Mr. Bluntman likes this.