ASUS Tinker Board to USA Finally

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

ASUS and its Tinker Board got all kinds of attention back in January as it showed up for sale in Europe. The Tinker Board is an alternative to the Raspberry Pi, and there are pros and cons when it comes to both. Geoff Gasior who you might know from Tech Report fame, now works for ASUS and has done a very detailed writeup to introduce you to the Tinker Board if you are wondering what all features are onboard...the Tinker Board. Check out the video.

The DIY PC scene has branched in an interesting new direction in recent years. Inexpensive single-board computers move away from building PCs themselves and instead focused on making them the brains behind larger projects. These bite-sized computers can power everything from robots to media boxes to home automation, and they’re valuable educational tools for learning how computers, electronics, and code interact.

As mentioned in the headline, us folks here in the Great United States can get our hands on the Tinker Board from Amazon for $60 with Prime Shipping, which is about twice the price of a Raspberry Pi. But in general, the Tinker is about twice as fast, if you need that ability.

1o57 likes this.
  2. Poseur

Poseur Limp Gawd

Looks pretty good. I just bought a Pi 3, so I probably won't get a Tinker Board soon. I'd love to see power consumption and benchmarks. Someone will do it eventually. The Tinker Board might be flirting with the passively cooled mini-ITX Atoms? The Pi 3 idles at about 1 Watt, so that's tough to beat.

3. Paladin21

Paladin21 Limp Gawd

If you're buying a Pi, it's likely for the community and projects instead of a speed choice. There's already a large variety of higher-performance single-board computers available, so this isn't breaking any new ground. I have an Odroid Xu4 I got last year that's also faster than the Pi3 and is likely to be around the same speed as this one. However, I probably should have gotten a Pi3 anyway because performance on it is greatly hampered by the closed-source video drivers (it's for an emulation box). While I can attempt systems that a Pi3 can't handle, there are all sorts of weird workarounds and issues that crop up due to their development model. I certainly appreciate the speed when it works right, but buyer beware. I'd want to see a pretty solid developer community on this before I'd bet against a Pi again.

4. Bandalo

Bandalo [H]ardness Supreme

I'd like to see how Kodi performs on this once someone gets it running...I've noticed the Pi3 works great with most h.264 content, but it can start to choke a bit on h.265 stuff. Just a hair more horsepower might avoid that issue.

5. tikiman2012

tikiman2012 [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe if it wasn't Asus.

6. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

I'd love to see how this tackles N64 Emulation. ..

7. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

I'd say it's good enough. 1.8 GHz A17 should be twice as fast as a 1.2 GHz A7.

8. Tweak42

Tweak42 Gawd

Hardware looks decent but waiting on TinkerOS to get out of Beta before considering. Also really concerned there are no open source Mali GPU drivers.

9. mwarps

mwarps [H]ardness Supreme

Just grabbed one of these last night. We use a Pi3 for opencv vision processing for robotics. This little guy in the same form factor should wipe the floors with the Pi3.