Asus teases aftermarket RX480

ebduncan

[H]ard|Gawd
ASUS Republic of Gamers Introduces Strix RX 480 Graphics Card

1467228455226.jpg

looks pretty beastly if you ask me.

Yeesh, again with the 3 fans? It just doesn't feel like the extra fan is worth the trouble, what with there being another moving part and point of fault...

You can clearly see 2 power connectors in the picture above. So at a minimum (2x6 pins), it'll be good for 225W.

Damn they are in a hurry to announce these lol. I am starting to believe the beast mode rumors, cards running at 1500..

Must be binned chips. This whole thing is starting to make sense. Most chips don't do high clocks so sell them shit loads at reference and sell the binned ones with aftermarket coolers and premium price. Less buyers there so keeps everyone happy.

Damn they are in a hurry to announce these lol. I am starting to believe the beast mode rumors, cards running at 1500..

Must be binned chips. This whole thing is starting to make sense. Most chips don't do high clocks so sell them shit loads at reference and sell the binned ones with aftermarket coolers and premium price. Less buyers there so keeps everyone happy.

Okay but what is realistic price performance wise we saw the $300 number from the Computex 2016 announcement but how much more performance is worth that extra money ...

Okay but what is realistic price performance wise we saw the $300 number from the Computex 2016 announcement but how much more performance is worth that extra money ...

If it gets close to nano performance at 300 then its worth it. The 3d mark running at 1425 showed it matched nano in the other thread, actually little faster so it seems it scales rather well with clock speed.

If it gets close to nano performance at 300 then its worth it. The 3d mark running at 1425 showed it matched nano in the other thread, actually little faster so it seems it scales rather well with clock speed.
If we really see these 1500 oc versions, they might end up with worse perf/watt than the nano

If we really see these 1500 oc versions, they might end up with worse perf/watt than the nano

meh idk. 200w? It will actually be faster than nano at 1500 may be not at 4k resolution due to memory bandwidth.

what is nano around there too no? 180-200?

I would grab a nano for 300 no doubt. AMD fucking needs to drop prices on these lol. Fury X seems like its already selling for 439 on newegg I saw the other day. But the other two haven't moved much.

I'd buy a few nanos at 300$

RX-480@ 1500mhz will put a hurt on the nano though.

Well,. all you do is move the power slider over to +50% on the Nano and boom, instant near Fury X performance. It literally gains 400 points in 3dmark Ultra by moving the power target.

Anyone else think the custom coolers on this card (and also 1070/1080s) are all a bit long? The paranoid part of me wonders how it affects the sag over time.

Anyone else think the custom coolers on this card (and also 1070/1080s) are all a bit long? The paranoid part of me wonders how it affects the sag over time.

One size fits all prolly to expensive buying custom solutions for this card :)

Does it really warrant such a long card? The PCB of the RX480 is slightly longer than a NANO, would be nice if somebody made a nice compact RX480 with a decent cooler.

Seem like power consumption goes through the roof trying to overclock the 480, not sure if they are heading the wrong way. Additionally, bolting all these expensive coolers will mean a price increase, may not be wise to go up against the GTX1060 in price.

Anybody trying to overclock these things (or even try to water cool these things) will most likely have the $$$ to buy more expensive card (eq. 1070)

Last edited:
Does it really warrant such a long card? The PCB of the RX480 is slightly longer than a NANO, would be nice if somebody made a nice compact RX480 with a decent cooler.

Wasn't that Sapphire version 2 fans ?

Back