Asus Taichi

StryderxX

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know what's going on with the Asus Taichi? It came up for per-order on October 12th with a release date of October 27th but that date came and went with no product in sight. Is this ultra book vaporware or the real deal?

I can't believe they would only put 4GB of RAM in an i5/i7 machine, you know they're not going to be user upgradeable with that form factor.

Wow...that's a lot of machine at those prices...I bet they decided they couldn't afford to sell them at those prices....these companies need to find a way to earn a decent profit.

I can't believe they would only put 4GB of RAM in an i5/i7 machine, you know they're not going to be user upgradeable with that form factor.

On a ulv with win8 I doubt you would need anymore. Honestly win8 flies on a 4850e with 2gb of memory.

I e-mailed Asus.

This is the responce.

Dear JPF_,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service
My name is kylin and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

The Taichi will be avaiable for customer soon and our engineers are doing the presale test,and after that it will be avaiable.So please wait for some time,it will not take much time.

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes to you.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Best Regard
kylin

Someone just walked around to my desk, and I've got a demo Taichi unit sitting right next to me. So they do exist. I won't be able to keep it long term, so afraid I won't be able to answer any detailed questions about it.

So, the only difference between this and the Transformer Book is that the Book detaches and this folds over?

So, the only difference between this and the Transformer Book is that the Book detaches and this folds over?

It doesn't fold over so much as when you close the clamshell it flips from laptop mode to tablet mode. Unless you use the taichi key to specifically set one display as active, or both.

It doesn't fold over so much as when you close the clamshell it flips from laptop mode to tablet mode. Unless you use the taichi key to specifically set one display as active, or both.

Dees your unit have a pen? Thanks!

Seems like it would be awesome for meetings, could share with others around the table :)

It's a very interesting and thought provoking design... My biggest disappointment with it is that only the outside screen is touch. I was ready to preorder one until I saw that. Win8 seems like it is easier to navigate with a touch screen...

It's a very interesting and thought provoking design... My biggest disappointment with it is that only the outside screen is touch. I was ready to preorder one until I saw that. Win8 seems like it is easier to navigate with a touch screen...

The Metro/Modern UI is definitely easier to deal with as a touch interface, given it's taken from the Windows Phone platform aimed at touch screen devices. However, there's still a "classic" Windows desktop UI in there as well. So, the idea behind the Taichi is probably along the lines of using the Modern UI with the top tablet screen, and then you can use the desktop UI while in the more traditional laptop mode.

Also, heartlesssun, I didn't really have a whole lot of time to play with it, and I didn't look for any kind of stylus. BTW, I have a friend who's wife's name is Sun, and she beats him pretty regularly (all completely deserved... if anything she's being generous in letting some things go) so your username made me chuckle.

Also, heartlesssun, I didn't really have a whole lot of time to play with it, and I didn't look for any kind of stylus. BTW, I have a friend who's wife's name is Sun, and she beats him pretty regularly (all completely deserved... if anything she's being generous in letting some things go) so your username made me chuckle.

Thanks for the info and I'm always happy to provide a smile.;)

I had the chance to see a demo unit during a W8 workshop

The Asus rep did not give a specific date but he said we could ask Santa and if we were nice then we might get one :D:D

I had the chance to see a demo unit during a W8 workshop

The Asus rep did not give a specific date but he said we could ask Santa and if we were nice then we might get one :D:D

What were your impressions of the unit?

Here's an Asus Taichi review by Notebookcheck

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Taichi-21-Convertible-Ultrabook.85572.0.html

It seems like the build quality is solid and the displays are great, but it suffers from persistent throttling and cooling issues as well as a real subpar battery life. 35WHr battery on a laptop is very poor

Thanks for the review. I'm very intrigued by this design but it's a shame that both screens aren't touch enabled. I'd love to see a Haswell in this. I do like the pen but I think it is N-trig and not Wacom and I'm not a big fan of N-trig digitizers.

I too would like to see both screen touch enabled, but most of all I find it a waste that the thing runs on integrated graphics? At least put a mid-range gaming-capable GPU in these things as an option! Aside from this, I'm happy to see "MacBook Pro competitors" in the Asus ZENBOOK and Taichi series. I just wish they'd just go all out when it comes to components (both primarily and secondary - I expect a backlit keyboard, high brightness and color gamut IPS screen, would like magnetic power connectors, use the best battery technology etc..) and quality. If you have to make the thing a few millimeters thicker to ensure you have proper cooling, so be it.

I think that as Windows 8 devices become more prevalent that you should see more exotic designs and features like external GPUs. For now though, weight and battery life are the big concerns for OEMs.

Oh. This seems like an awful waste of two screens.

That is my thinking as well. I guess we are still in the throw everything against the wall and see what sticks, phase.

A Lenovo Yoga/Twist type hinge seems a lot more cost effective than having two identical screens on each side.

That is my thinking as well. I guess we are still in the throw everything against the wall and see what sticks, phase.

A Lenovo Yoga/Twist type hinge seems a lot more cost effective than having two identical screens on each side.

Yeah, Lenovo definitely seems to be cornering the market on Windows 8 hybrids at the moment. Would like the Yoga more if it were built more durably like a Thinkpad. I like the Helix a lot, but man, it is going to be expensive for what it is.

Yeah, Lenovo definitely seems to be cornering the market on Windows 8 hybrids at the moment. Would like the Yoga more if it were built more durably like a Thinkpad. I like the Helix a lot, but man, it is going to be expensive for what it is.

The fact that it has no compromises will make it worth it hopefully.

• 1080p
  • long battery life
  • performance
  • pen
  • cellular
  • tablet or ultrabook equally
  • trackpoint

It's the only device that has everything I've wanted. Except for an Ethernet port, but it will have enough USB to be able to use a dongle.

Back