Asus STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING.. 1.4 so.. ARC compatible/available?

James Robinson

Limp Gawd
Wondering if the new monitor I ordered that has ARC on HDMI1 can send the signal back to my card so I can get audio playback from my computer speakers instead of the TVs, or will I need to use the TVs optical out to my computers optical in..

Obviously either will work, just doing over HDMI is really damn convenient... :)

I've checked Asus for docs, and their manuals and FAQs etc appear to be down, as is their chat. Email makes you enter an absolute shit-ton of serial numbers and comp specs (most are mandatory), and no-body will pick up a damn phone to save their lives...

Anyone know?

Reason why I was asking, is the Monitor has a digital tuner, and I wanted to run the audio through my computers 7.2 speaker system when I'm watching broadcasts of the antenna (HD, whatever... LOTS of great movies on @ night/weekends)

To my knowledge ARC isn't supported. This is rarely a problem since the PC is generally not acting as an audio receiver/hub.

More significant is the lack of CEC support...

Your particular use case is possible with HDMI 1.4, but the manufacturer is unlikely to have implemented it on the card.

I have never seen a GPU that came with Audio Input functionality. They're pretty strictly output-only devices.

Bear in mind that conforming to a standard doesn't mean that your equipment needs to utilize all the capabilities of that standard.

Some solutions, assuming the card does not work like you are wanting might be to put a tuner on the pc, or you could do a optical as you suggest or do the audio processing on a receiver with hdmi switching.

I'll look into a PC tuner.. see whats out there... geebus I miss my AIWs.. had a couple generations and they were pure awesome on a stick :(

Back