ASUS STRIX R9 380X DirectCU II OC Video Card Review @ [H]

4GB 960TI will mean they will use again the crap 128bit bus, if they use 192bit bus 3GB vRAM that would be an amazing 960TI at 220$-250$

At this point I think it would be so much better if they just let the 970 go down to $250.00

I do not believe there will be a 960 Ti. Product name died with OEM-only 760 Ti. Fabled 960 Ti already exists as an OEM product named "960 OEM" 3GB 192-bit ... it's on geforce.com already. It's not coming to retail. nVidia prefers you pony up for the new 3rd card in the product stack (970, 980, 980Ti). Wonder how long before x70 also falls, and the stack becomes 980, 980SE, 980Ti, or some such.

Yeah agreed, better that 970 falls to $250. That would be the 960Ti in spirit (vram segmentation!) and price.

Would love that, but it appears the 380x isn't enough to force Nvidia's hand.

A bit premature to say that, don't you think? The reviews just launched today... nVidia would most likely wait a week or two to see how sales are going, then react accordingly. Knee-jerk reactions are those of desperation, and nVidia isn't in such a place.

My thoughts on the award: The GTX 960 always seemed under powered for the price point. AMD is introducing the 380X, with 4GB, at a lower price than NVIDIA launched the 4GB 960 at, and the 380X is faster than the 4GB 960 to boot. Add up all these facts and AMD positioned the card right for a change. Perhaps a bit too late, if it had come out right at the same time as 960 it would have been perfect. Still, it is a competitive product and gives gamers in the lower $200's a great 1080p experience. It redeems, somewhat, the space the 280X owned. Let's face it, AMD might have released too good of a product in the 280X :p They've never been able to come close to offering an appealing product like that again. AMDs only problem are themselves, with dropping prices on 390's and such. Sometimes AMD releases stuff, a bit later than they should to take full potential of the positioning.

I am looking forward to overclocking potential.

The specs looked very similar to the 280X. Is it similar in real world performance (if you can answer that) or is there something I'm missing with that? I have a 280X and was just curious about it.

Am I the only one who feels like this is positioned pretty well in the market? It beats NVIDIA's competition at a lower price point. Yes, you can get b-stock and used 970s cheaply, but not everyone wants to buy a used product. Could it be more exciting? Yes. Is it still a good product for what it is? Yes.

this is basically a 4GB 280x. techpowerup review mirrors my sentiments. in fact the 280x beat the 380x in like 10 of 14 games they used.

so yeah if you're running 1080p get a 280x for sub 200.

You guys did the right thing testing at 1440p. In the very limited time you were given, I'd much rather see results that push the cards as opposed to a resolution that doesn't let the cards stretch its legs. It's a better path to show what a GPU can do now and in the future. If you would have tested 1080p alone, I can only imagine the amount of "but CPU bottleneck..." blubbering.

That said, for those of us familiar with the m295x, it's been pretty apparent for a long time how this card was going to perform. It's good to see AMD finally has a "new" card that's very competitive in it's bracket.

Am I the only one who feels like this is positioned pretty well in the market? It beats NVIDIA's competition at a lower price point. Yes, you can get b-stock and used 970s cheaply, but not everyone wants to buy a used product. Could it be more exciting? Yes. Is it still a good product for what it is? Yes.

Totally agree, good performance for money. Sucks that AMD keeps overselling resolution bracket, but that's not a fault in the hardware.

The midrange market is insane right now for real-world pricing. Going through NewEgg, the cheapest 4GB 960 is $174.99 after MIR. The most expensive is over $300!

There are several 4GB 960s at $199, which puts them solidly in the midst of vanilla 380s, though those start at $169.99 after MIR.

All that to say, for the careful shopper, it looks like the 960 4GB has already dropped into competition with the non-X 380, where I would venture to say it competes better. But then nV has nothing but bad deals to offer all the way up to the cheapest after-MIR 970 at $289.99. Huge gap for the 380X to flourish in unless nVidia gets serious.

380X wasn't showing at all until I searched for it by name, then it was there right at MSRP (and up for the custom models).

This is a hoot and all the Nvidia fanboyz talking up the 970GTX pricing.. where have you been all this time as the 290x has already been there back in July this year for $279 out of pocket before $20 rebate with a free game and now it's a big azz deal about 970GTX pricing..lol

7/24/2015
Inv #XXXXXXXX

Shipped

Ineligible for return

Order #XXXXXX

$279.00

Tracking #:
1ZXXXXXXXXXX

SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X DirectX 12 100361-4L 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Tri-X OC(UEFI) Video Card, New Edition 8/1/2015
1 x SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X DirectX 12 100361-4L 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Tri-X OC(UEFI) Video Card, New Edition

Last edited:
The cheapest 970 on the egg I could find is $289 and 390 even better at 274 after rebate. To me the 390 is the best deal. The 380's are priced less than $200 so give it time and the 380x will be around the $200 mark which is about right.

HardOCP testing methods must take a lot more time then most other reviewers methods. It would be polite that AMD gave more quality time for reviewers, particular HardOCP. 2 days is BS for ensuring a quality review.

The cheapest 970 on the egg I could find is $289 and 390 even better at 274 after rebate. To me the 390 is the best deal. The 380's are priced less than $200 so give it time and the 380x will be around the $200 mark which is about right.

HardOCP testing methods must take a lot more time then most other reviewers methods. It would be polite that AMD gave more quality time for reviewers, particular HardOCP. 2 days is BS for ensuring a quality review.

It's plenty of time to gather data... not enough time for putting the entire review together.

A bit premature to say that, don't you think? The reviews just launched today... nVidia would most likely wait a week or two to see how sales are going, then react accordingly. Knee-jerk reactions are those of desperation, and nVidia isn't in such a place.

Looking at the reviews it is slightly better than a 960 superclocked, which the 960 can be found for less. I don't see why Nvidia would need to drop the 970. To your point if the 380x sells like hot cakes, but the 960 does a good job competing with it so I am not so sure how the 380x will sell.

Despite residual traces of anti Roy Bennet angst in the discussion section, a fair review by Brent of a great product. It fully deserves the silver award as it leaves the 960 where it belongs, in the dust. With Zen and their forthcoming 14/16nm Gpu’s around the corner, the future looks bright for AMD and Hard OCP, assuming certain members of the latter team are willing to bury the hatchet :D

Despite residual traces of anti Roy Bennet angst in the discussion section, a fair review by Brent of a great product. It fully deserves the silver award as it leaves the 960 where it belongs, in the dust. With Zen and their forthcoming 14/16nm Gpu’s around the corner, the future looks bright for AMD and Hard OCP, assuming certain members of the latter team are willing to bury the hatchet :D

Oh hai Roy!:rolleyes:

Drop the price to $200, bundle it with Star Wars and crap all over gtx 960.

Back