Asus Strix R390X Coil Whine

UMASS

Gawd
Hi All: I've had this GPU for about 6+ weeks. Love it as it rips thru all of my games @ 2580x1440 res. on my BenQ 32" display. I noticed about 2 weeks ago a slight coil whine. In all my years of computers, I never had this issue before. I guess some people say it has to do with the PSU. My PSU is great (Seasonic X-750)

I'm wondering if there are any R390/390X owners that might have this issue. I have an Antec 302 case with 6 fans (5-120mm 1-140mm) To combat it I bumped my fan speeds to the medium setting within my BIOS. This helps a lot.

I should also mention that the coil whine simply will go away for a couple of days as well. Any insight would be appreciated.

Is there certain times/instances where it is happening. Sometimes it can happen when your FPS is very high. Like in the hundreds or thousands.

Is there certain times/instances where it is happening. Sometimes it can happen when your FPS is very high. Like in the hundreds or thousands.

I guess you know I don't notice it when playing a game with the fans moving, music etc. It's when I'm @ idle speed (web, work etc.) is when it's present. Right now I have nothing.

Can I ask if you ever had this problem & it simply went away over time?

what does gpuz read your 12v rail under sensors while this thing whines?... like maybe its rails are dropping down to 11 volts or something cause it looks like other seasonics are holding at least 11.65 (even in cf)

Prime: I don't have that App (GPUZ) The PSU runs completely silent @ idle. I'll check that out.

Mrgstiffler: Not that I notice. But I'll look for that.

Prime: I just D/L GPU-Z my rails are perfect. All where they should be. Funny since I posted this I haven't had an issue. Go figure.

Does the 390x have the same function in terms of cooling as the gtx970? Ie. fans dont turn on until it gets warm?

Does the 390x have the same function in terms of cooling as the gtx970? Ie. fans dont turn on until it gets warm?

Correct. Silent until gaming & even then it's not loud @ all. Here's the weird thing. After I posted this, it simply stopped & hasn't come back for a week now. Has anyone else had an issue & it simply went away before?

yes....i have heard it goes away after a certain break in before...not a lot but your not the first

yes....i have heard it goes away after a certain break in before...not a lot but your not the first

Thanks. I'm hoping it stays that way. It always had a slight whine since it's purchase. Now...nothing. Fingers crossed. I love the card for my application.

Glad to "not" hear it. Went through ... a few cards during the mining craze years back and all the cards which had coil whine stopped after about a week or so after a good warmup period.

Glad to "not" hear it. Went through ... a few cards during the mining craze years back and all the cards which had coil whine stopped after about a week or so after a good warmup period.

Yakk: Great to hear. I did bother me a little. Wasn't super obnoxious. This is the 1st time I've ever had this issue & I started building my own rigs about 15 years ago.

Back