ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB SLI Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB SLI Video Card Review - You’ve seen the new ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC Edition 6GB DirectCU II video card, now let’s look at two of these in an SLI configuration! We will explore 4K and NV Surround performance with two ASUS STRIX video cards for the ultimate high-resolution experience and see if the extra memory helps this GPU make better strides at high resolutions.

Thanks for the well done review. The only thing I found missing was the overclocking performance and results. Since the single card review had overclocking and overclocking results I felt this review should have included this also but otherwise thanks again it was a good read.

I will also put in my request to see the overclocked SLI performance. It seemed the conclusion was that the extra vram was advantageous but that it needed moar powr behind it. Overclocking would get you there surely, especially based on the single card review.

Clearly this card was meant to be overclocked as well! I'm sure you will be taking a look at this, and I appreciate all of the work that you guys put into these reviews for us!

Cheers!

It would have been nice to see how much the TI in SLi would were being held back in this review. The results of this were surprising. Makes me question if the extra money for Nv is worth it for PhysX and better drivers.

Sorry to disappoint. If we could actually discuss what is in the review rather than what is not, I would appreciated it.

Seems 4k gaming, even after spending a fortune, still isn't viable yet. Will it ever be though? There would have to be a huge leap in gpu power to be able make it work with decent eye candy settings on current or even last gen games.

I was most interested to see that in a number of cases (e.g. Far Cry 3) you kept 2xMSAA and dropped texture etc quality. With the higher DPI of 4K monitors and low VRAM, I would have thought that dropping MSAA - which is known to be GPU intensive - would be more sensible.

I hope that the next generation of cards are 8GB cards to match the consoles at least. I think we're going to see more Watch Dogs type ports in the future where the games are gasping for more memory. Personally I think it's a great idea as 4K gaming needs more memory to work with in the first place and that's where the industry seems to be headed with the announcement of GSYNC and FREESYNC to make it stutter free.

Thanks for the review as always. And man those 290X cards looked great during the tests!

This just makes me want to see what a pair of water-cooled sli titan blacks can do with the 6GB buffer.
3GB frame buffer is certainly looking like a bad decision for NVidia in the target market for 780ti.

Seems weird that ASUS would use the non-TI version of the cards, makes me think this style of cooling solution isn't fitting for the Ti versions (at idle or what not).

That same line of thinking has me believe it wouldn't work with the 290x either as they generate a ton of heat as well.

I hope that the next generation of cards are 8GB cards to match the consoles at least. I think we're going to see more Watch Dogs type ports in the future where the games are gasping for more memory. Personally I think it's a great idea as 4K gaming needs more memory to work with in the first place and that's where the industry seems to be headed with the announcement of GSYNC and FREESYNC to make it stutter free.

Thanks for the review as always. And man those 290X cards looked great during the tests!

Isn't that RAM not VRAM ?, while I didn't get Watch Dogs due to reading about the castration they did on the PC version, I won't be surprised if more and more games will use up more VRAM.

Bioshock Infinite used quite a lot of VRAM, which was surprising, but for me, I'm not to fussed if I had to put down some visual settings. I am curious about the size of the VRAM AMD and NVIDIA will put on their next gen GPU's

It makes you wonde why they even released this card without the fastest card available knowing that you need raw horsepower for 4k resolutions.:confused:

I think the cards overclocked would have shown the true power of the setup. Glad to see the 290X's showing off their power at 4K...50 watts more per card, but more horsepower under the hood as well! Thanks for the review guys!

ASUS is actually planning to release these, yes? I still can't find them anywhere.

"Even at 5760x1200 we could not run "Ultra" textures on the 6GB ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC SLI configuration. We got stuttering in the game, mainly while driving in the city. We had no choice but to downgrade to "High" textures for a smooth gameplay experience. Again, we would need at least 8GB of VRAM to make Ultra textures playable at this resolution for this game. The GeForce GTX 780 SLI with 3GB of VRAM had to be downgraded to "Medium" textures."

And you came up with that diluted impression from that?! :confused:

WOW!

Hey there Exposed, how are you?

I'm a little confused by your post so I apologize if I am misinterpreting it. When you say

And you came up with that diluted impression from that?! :confused:

WOW!

are you referring to the part of my statement that you underlined?

If that is the case, I can explain that I came up with my "diluted impression" from this part of the review:

The Bottom Line

There is no doubt that more VRAM is advantageous at resolutions that 4K displays demand. However, as the demand for VRAM goes up, so does the demand for raw GPU performance. This is the primary fault of the ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB video cards, these are both based around the GeForce GTX 780 GPU from NVIDIA. This is in fact not NVIDIA’s fastest GPU, which would be the GeForce GTX 780 Ti which has more shaders and faster performance.

When trying to run high settings in games at 4K VRAM is important, but so is the needed raw horsepower to push those pixels at that resolution. This is shown in the fact that the lesser VRAM capacity 4GB R9 290X video cards are technically faster in performance at 4K. We think if the ASUS STRIX were based off of the GeForce GTX 780 Ti GPU it would serve for a much better showing under 4K.

Now, we have learned from our overclocking tests that R9 290X performance can be achieved from these ASUS STRIX cards if overclocked to their highest potential. So if you are into overclocking, that will certainly help your 4K and NV Surround experience. In that case, the 6GB of VRAM will become more advantageous.

I'm also :confused: by your post it seems. Perhaps you could clarify?

Cheers!

Great review. I was disappointed to see that it could not hang with the R9 290x.

Still just waiting on a release date for these. In the discussion after the last review, a possible 6/24 release was discussed.

my 2 cents on this, should run 290x using dx11 instead of mantle to keep things fair. Every reviewer turns off physx in games when doing reviews so it would only be fair

I hope that the next generation of cards are 8GB cards to match the consoles at least.

yea um the 8gb in consoles is SHARED ram, it is shared between cpu and GPU so its not dedicated to gpu alone.

how big is the strix anyway? Is it actually 3 expansion slots-wide? What kind of motherboards have PCI-e slots that leave 1 slot's worth of space for something like that?

This thing is finally for sale in the US on Newegg.
Wasnt this thing already being sold in Europe for like a month? How come they get first dig at it?

Back