ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB Review - Exclusive @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB Review - Exclusive - Today we review the brand new ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC Edition 6GB DirectCU II video card. ASUS has taken an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 GPU and wrapped it in a complete custom "silent" cooling solution and doubled the stock VRAM creating a unique package. We will look at performance and compare it to GTX 780 and R9 290X.

Okay, bad to the topic then... as I checked EU prices, the card is from 530 to 620 euro. That is almost in range of 780 Ti, and more expensive than likes of 290 Vapor-X which also beats the 290X. I believe it's the card aimed mor multi GPU 4K users, and not for 1080p crowd.

Almost $100 more than some 3GB parts. Would be nice if these were 6GB Ti parts at this price...that would have done some greatness for nVidia, their brand partners, and the customers alike.

Regardless, impressive results...just not the price tag for a non-Ti 780.

Almost $100 more than some 3GB parts. Would be nice if these were 6GB Ti parts at this price...that would have done some greatness for nVidia, their brand partners, and the customers alike.

Regardless, impressive results...just not the price tag for a non-Ti 780.

6GB Ti would kill Titan Black sales. Won't happen.

It's pricey alright, too much.

Also, like the 8GB 290x, that 1 DP handicap for 4K kills the deal for high Res.

Only a 26MHz base clock bump and a 52MHz boost clock bump from reference. You'd think with that bitchin' cooler that they'd at least push the GPU a little bit. Even with the measly 6% extra power limit I was able to get my DCII 780 to over 1200MHz boost, and I've seen plenty more do the same. The silicon should be mature enough to get at least 1150 reliably. If only Nvidia would let that damn 6% limit go. Using Skyn3t's BIOS and the 150% limit, I got mine to ~1325, which is nuts compared to the 863MHz base clock. :)

My two cents on it. Can't wait for the 'full' review with overclocking, don't keep us waiting too long! :)

This card is a beast! Since GPU manufacturers like to rebadge their wares, I expect to see something like this at Maxwell's launch. Hopefully Nvidia will get their OpenCL stuff going; hate that TressFX causes problems for Nvidia buyers as the code is there for them to optimize for.

Overall this is a great show of engineering prowess shown by Asus once again. I hope that one day their RMA support department matches their engineering superiority.

Thx for taking the time and money to create this review!

I rather pick XFX Radeon 290X any day. Since 290X is still cheaper with similar performance as Geforce 780.

Great review, this looks like a great card though I wish it was a Ti. Like others said, I'm assuming nVidia isn't allowing that to happen.

Looking forward to the SLI/OC results.

Any idea when these will be available / in stores? Haven't been able to find a release date.

That is a tempting card, but I will wait for the next gen card after the 780Ti before buying another card. My GTX670 is so far holding out fine for the most part. But the features of this card are on my wish list for the next card I buy, 6GB + silent for the majority of the time my PC is on and really only needs the fan when playing games.

People pay money for Titan Blacks? At this point I get the impression they're just press and prominent developer handouts to people with high social media followings in order to drum up some positive buzz about the brand :p

Anyway the 6GB choice is up to Asus, it's a custom SKU.

Last edited:
People pay money for Titan Blacks? At this point I get the impression they're just press and prominent developer handouts to people with high social media followings in order to drum up some positive buzz about the brand :p

Anyway the 6GB choice is up to Asus, it's a custom SKU.

Nope... its not a custom for ASUS only. nvidia released 6GB for all 780. in fact the EVGA GTX 780 6GB its available since march.... and according to some rummors the 6GB 780TI will be available soon.

Nope... its not a custom for ASUS only. nvidia released 6GB for all 780. in fact the EVGA GTX 780 6GB its available since march.... and according to some rummors the 6GB 780TI will be available soon.

I didn't say it was Asus only, it's just that creating other 6GB variants is up to Asus (or any other vendor for that matter). It's still a non reference configuration.

Only a 26MHz base clock bump and a 52MHz boost clock bump from reference. You'd think with that bitchin' cooler that they'd at least push the GPU a little bit. Even with the measly 6% extra power limit I was able to get my DCII 780 to over 1200MHz boost, and I've seen plenty more do the same. The silicon should be mature enough to get at least 1150 reliably. If only Nvidia would let that damn 6% limit go. Using Skyn3t's BIOS and the 150% limit, I got mine to ~1325, which is nuts compared to the 863MHz base clock. :)

My two cents on it. Can't wait for the 'full' review with overclocking, don't keep us waiting too long! :)

Hey, I had to look for it, but having the power limit increased by that much using the custom bios means at 150% limit you are at 500W, bro. You might destroy something. So while I do think they could bump it to 300W, 500W is too far, too insane.

Hey, I had to look for it, but having the power limit increased by that much using the custom bios means at 150% limit you are at 500W, bro. You might destroy something. So while I do think they could bump it to 300W, 500W is too far, too insane.
The highest overclock achievable on my 780, which is 1325MHz sustained under water, pulls no more than 415w from the wall (so including the entire system [based on a 4.6GHz 2600K] plus power supply inefficiency). The 150% power limit is there if you need it for liquid nitrogen - 106% just does not cut it for non-reference designs even on air, though, as with a good custom air setup you'll be hitting the power limit before the thermal limit.

Whenever I see an "EXCLUSIVE" review I hear warning sirens going off and warning lights flashing.

That being said I agree there might be a massive bump in VRAM coming and I'm pleased and interested this card will have 6 Gigglebytes of it.
The price is still way too much of course.
Nvidia can release as many cards as it likes, having titans up the wazoo will not change the fact that even the 780ti is overpriced.

Kudos to Asus for creating this insane thing though. Not only focusing on high performance but also quality parts and quiet cooling.

Last edited:
The highest overclock achievable on my 780, which is 1325MHz sustained under water, pulls no more than 415w from the wall (so including the entire system [based on a 4.6GHz 2600K] plus power supply inefficiency). The 150% power limit is there if you need it for liquid nitrogen - 106% just does not cut it for non-reference designs even on air, though, as with a good custom air setup you'll be hitting the power limit before the thermal limit.

That's basically what I said, except IMHO I don't think it's worth leaving that in for people that don't know their ***holes from their elbows. From reading the posts at Overclock.net in the GTX 780 Owner's Club, it is risky to run it too high without proper cooling. I'm not going to go hunting for the exact statement and quote it and provide a post number, but it is there. Look at the posts from OccamRazor. Obviously for a card like the EVGA Classified or HC and the type of folks that would buy those cards with their dual bios setup -- that's a card for a custom BIOS with knobs adjustable to ludicrous.

That's basically what I said, except IMHO I don't think it's worth leaving that in for people that don't know their ***holes from their elbows. From reading the posts at Overclock.net in the GTX 780 Owner's Club, it is risky to run it too high without proper cooling. I'm not going to go hunting for the exact statement and quote it and provide a post number, but it is there. Look at the posts from OccamRazor. Obviously for a card like the EVGA Classified or HC and the type of folks that would buy those cards with their dual bios setup -- that's a card for a custom BIOS with knobs adjustable to ludicrous.
Of course - if you push it too hard, though, it'll reach its thermal limit (which is still in place) and clocks will back down. Voltage is still limited to whatever the card can handle as maximum using the stock BIOS, so things can't get too crazy unless the card is already prepared for it. :)

It will happen and was already announced a while back that there will be 6gb 780ti cards sometime in June. The way these cards just keep slowly trickling out seems to indicate we may be a long way from any higher end Maxwells.

wow great review, and that is 1 badass card!!!! too bad the price is a lil high.

Good to FINALLY see a 780 6gb

Back