ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB Overclocking Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB Overclocking Review - We take the new ASUS STRIX GTX 780 OC 6GB video card and push it to its limits while overclocking. We will compare performance overclocked with a GeForce GTX 780 Ti, AMD Radeon R9 290X and find out what gameplay improvements overclocking allows. This card isn't just silent, its got overclocking prowess too.

I was already impressed with the initial review. But after this I think, its a better buy than a 780Ti. Sure the 780Ti can also be overclocked but the extra 3gb more than makes up for it.

I was already impressed with the initial review. But after this I think, its a better buy than a 780Ti. Sure the 780Ti can also be overclocked but the extra 3gb more than makes up for it.

I agree with this sentiment. The only thing I'm waiting on now is the SLI review, to see if a pair of these cards can support Surrond (Eyefinity)/4K gaming.

[H], thanks for all the awesome work detailing this card.

I agree with this sentiment. The only thing I'm waiting on now is the SLI review, to see if a pair of these cards can support Surrond (Eyefinity)/4K gaming.

[H], thanks for all the awesome work detailing this card.

Working on that now!

Argh...Stop tempting me to buy this card rather than wait for the 8xx series :)

A bit late in the life cycle for me to drop almost $600. I've noticed price drops on 780ti's recently which is usually a good indicator that re-sellers are trying to dump the 7xx cards to make way for the 8xx series. A good card but I will wait.

I think we most people would wait until the SLi review comes out. Nice read non the less. As it stands though, given its price I think most people who would run a single card would probably opt for the Ti for the added OC head room and performance. That assumes you are running less than a 4K display.

Must Wait for AMD and Nvidia's next series of Cards... must wait.... must waaaii :confused:

excelent review [H] thanks, my only thought, that card ins't really limited by voltage, its limited by the Power Target. only 110%. i can see me tweaking it to 200% power target and see what can get that precious card with a fully 1.212V my actually card can do at 1.187 1267mhz and 1333mhz at 1.212 which its great and keep good temps..

this OC is in line with what I get on my classy.. nice to see some numerical data back up my real world experiences. I had wondered if the 1215MHz speed was in line with Ti performance.

Thanks guys

excelent review [H] thanks, my only thought, that card ins't really limited by voltage, its limited by the Power Target. only 110%. i can see me tweaking it to 200% power target and see what can get that precious card with a fully 1.212V my actually card can do at 1.187 1267mhz and 1333mhz at 1.212 which its great and keep good temps..

this OC is in line with what I get on my classy.. nice to see some numerical data back up my real world experiences. I had wondered if the 1215MHz speed was in line with Ti performance.

Thanks guys

Thank you, most sites only report on the base clock and boost clock speeds in regards to overclocking. Call me crazy, but I think it is more important to focus on the actual clock speed achieved by the card in-game by noting the actual frequency at default, out of box, and then adding on to that the actual overclock frequency in-game and reporting the real numbers. To me, the actual frequency is more important than the base clock or boost clock, cause those aren't the "real" frequencies the GPU is running at.

Thank you, most sites only report on the base clock and boost clock speeds in regards to overclocking. Call me crazy, but I think it is more important to focus on the actual clock speed achieved by the card in-game by noting the actual frequency at default, out of box, and then adding on to that the actual overclock frequency in-game and reporting the real numbers. To me, the actual frequency is more important than the base clock or boost clock, cause those aren't the "real" frequencies the GPU is running at.

and you are correct in that aspect, the base clock and boost clock are nothing to me really, that mean nothing in comparison the observed boost clock in game also its how really several cards can be compared fairly, because some cards have super high in game boost clock regardless the base and boost clock, same was with my first 660TI FTW reaching 1254mhz out of the box in game, but my second 660TI SC reaching 1306mhz having the FTW a higher base and boost clocks, but the FTW being able to max out at 1423mhz with 1.212V and the SC maxed at 1333mhz..

it really makes you wonder of those 780's and 780Ti's really have 2304/2880 cores.

because you can take any NVida GPU and make a custom bios and enter manually how much cores you want it to display.

GTX 770 only gets 11fps less than a 780ti in Crysis 3 at 1440p according to benchmarks, it makes no freaking sense because the Ti has 1344 more cores and a superior memory bus.

example: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_780_strix_6_gb_graphics_card_review,18.html

780ti: avg 44fps

770: avg: 33fps

Last edited:
That ASIC score is outstanding for a GK110 chip... easily the highest I have heard. That no doubt played a big role in the overclocking abilities. I wonder if that's Asus binning the chips or if it was just luck of the draw.

I'm curious if the idle voltage was lower on that chip. Usually a high ASIC score allows the BIOS to use a lower idle voltage.

Would love to see an overclocked 3GB model at near clock and memory speeds compared to this to really see how much the extra memory is factoring in.

Any idea when these STRIX video cards will hit the market? I've been seeing reviews of them for weeks but never a mention as to when I might be able to buy one.

Come on guys. You seemed to take a step in the right direction a while ago when you started comparing OC'd Nvidia products with OC'd AMD products in reviews for either brand, but you got away from that again.

If a buyer of this card is someone who is going to overclock it, then they would also be willing to overclock the Ti or the 290x. You should be comparing the OC on this card to the OCs on the other two as well. Then the potential buyer can realistically decide if the real world OC'd performance of this card is close enough to the faster OC'd Ti for just a few dollars more. I'm sure that is something Asus would NOT want you to do, but you ARE independent reviewers right? You don't only agree to do biased reviews if they let you be one of the first to have access to this as yet unavailable card right? RIGHT?!?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the OC'd vs higher level bog stock card part of the review for curiosity's sake, but from a purchasing decision standpoint, it is irrelevant. In your apples to apples section, that is where you should be showing the 6GB 780 OC numbers vs real world OC'd Ti numbers and OC'd 290x numbers, all three with custom coolers - because that is how overclockers would buy them and want them to be compared.

Thanks if you listen and adjust your future reviews.

A big fan of what you provide, and a daily viewer of HardOCP.

If these cards were available last fall when I went with my Ti's... hehe...

Hopefully this cooler makes a much earlier appearance on the 800 series when that eventually launches.

Come on guys. You seemed to take a step in the right direction a while ago when you started comparing OC'd Nvidia products with OC'd AMD products in reviews for either brand, but you got away from that again.

If a buyer of this card is someone who is going to overclock it, then they would also be willing to overclock the Ti or the 290x. You should be comparing the OC on this card to the OCs on the other two as well. Then the potential buyer can realistically decide if the real world OC'd performance of this card is close enough to the faster OC'd Ti for just a few dollars more. I'm sure that is something Asus would NOT want you to do, but you ARE independent reviewers right? You don't only agree to do biased reviews if they let you be one of the first to have access to this as yet unavailable card right? RIGHT?!?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the OC'd vs higher level bog stock card part of the review for curiosity's sake, but from a purchasing decision standpoint, it is irrelevant. In your apples to apples section, that is where you should be showing the 6GB 780 OC numbers vs real world OC'd Ti numbers and OC'd 290x numbers, all three with custom coolers - because that is how overclockers would buy them and want them to be compared.

Thanks if you listen and adjust your future reviews.

A big fan of what you provide, and a daily viewer of HardOCP.
QFT

Typo alert:

However, the overclocked STRIX has managed to overcome the performance of a standard GTX 780 Ti slightly by shear overclock.

I think you meant ...sheer overclock.

Beyond that, I was left with a sense of disappointment. You started off well noting the card's special features and the overclocked results vs the stock results were most interesting and useful, but then you went and compared the overclocked card with a stock 780 Ti and a stock 290X. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and you should have overclocked the other cards. Maybe I missed it but you also specifically mentioned noise and fan control on the first page as being special benefits of the card, and then ignored those issues for the rest of the article. And then there was the lack of 4K/UHD.

Back