ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Revealed

HardOCP News

[H] News
After our evaluation of the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition (here) many of you were excited to see what AIB partners would do with the GTX 1080. Well, wonder no more because we now have a peek at the ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 1080. The company has boosted the GPU clock and, in true Strix fashion, has strapped a very impressive looking DirectCU III cooler on it. Hit the link for all the info.

"On June 4th you can choose between the hot-clocked OC version for $639.99 or a stock-clocked variant with a $619.99 MSRP" Sounds like a good deal to me. I noticed that the Microcenter in Houston had 15 of the Founders edition GTX 1080's before they opened for the $699 price. I wonder how long those will last. They also have all their 980 ti's marked at regular pricing with the cheapest being $599. You would think they would try to fire sale those out of stock.

Last edited:
Dual HDMI's FTW. Since I missed out on the FE, I suppose that might be for the best. I don't really care about the clocks, but that 2nd HDMI is great.

I wish they replaced the DVI with a HDMI rather than one of the displayports. HDMI can be passively converted to DVI with a simple cable; displayport cannot.

Why? HDMI can be converted to DL-DVI and also carries audio to boot.

Remember this is HDMI 2.0, which can carry 4K at 60Hz.

I have not seen an HDMI to DVI adapter that supports dual link. But I could be wrong. Lots of people out there with 1440p+ Korean monitors that only have DVI inputs. In my case, color rendering is crap unless I use DVI (thanks ASUS - PB278Q).

I hope NCIX has these available on June 4th, my lack of video card has me willing to bite on launch day. NCIX got founders edition stock on launch and has a good relationship with ASUS so I'm crossing my fingers.

Well the pricing isn't $599 but it's not $699 either. At $639 it looks pretty decent, assuming the thermals and acoustics are good. I've been reasonably happy with other Strix branded cards. 12% factory OC is not too bad either, not that much lower than what people are pushing manually.

I have not seen an HDMI to DVI adapter that supports dual link. But I could be wrong. Lots of people out there with 1440p+ Korean monitors that only have DVI inputs. In my case, color rendering is crap unless I use DVI (thanks ASUS - PB278Q).
I think the way to go on that is DP to DVI, seems like most people would be unter-utlizing a DP connector than HDMI if multi monitor.

edit: Also, no mention of power connectors, are we expecting the AIB partners to have dual 6 or dual 6+2 versions for overclocking??

Also, no mention of power connectors, are we expecting the AIB partners to have dual 6 or dual 6+2 versions for overclocking??

"To prevent power limitations from impeding overclocking, the Strix features a secondary input that draws extra juice from the PSU. "

No pics but that comment leads me to think they put another power connector on it.

Also, this statement is... weird.

"To fix the problem, the Strix GeForce GTX 1080 has dual 4-pin fan headers controlled by the GPU temperature. Plug standard case fans into the card, and ASUS FanConnect technology will adjust their speed based on the graphics load."

Fan headers on the GPU? That's a first.

I bet it weighs like 50lbs
I am using Cooler Master HAF XB EVO cases for our gaming rigs precisely because I'd rather have my big Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 air cooler and my video cards sitting vertically on the MB, instead of hanging off the side. My wife and I both love the HAF XB EVO, and now that it uses a SATA power connector to power the hot-swap bays, the one problem the case used to have (i.e. plugging a 4-pin power connector in backward for those bays) is no more.

"To prevent power limitations from impeding overclocking, the Strix features a secondary input that draws extra juice from the PSU. "

No pics but that comment leads me to think they put another power connector on it.

Also, this statement is... weird.

"To fix the problem, the Strix GeForce GTX 1080 has dual 4-pin fan headers controlled by the GPU temperature. Plug standard case fans into the card, and ASUS FanConnect technology will adjust their speed based on the graphics load."

Fan headers on the GPU? That's a first.

The cards have apparently been having heat soak issues.

Nah, my guess is they're trying to find a new way to differentiate their offering, that's all.

Lets talk about the elephant in the room. so today, you can buy a founders edition for 699. or for 619, you can wait 1 week get this upgraded version....

WTF Nvidia. WTF PALM FACE

Lets talk about the elephant in the room. so today, you can buy a founders edition for 699. or for 619, you can wait 1 week get this upgraded version....

Yea but think how many n00bz you could PWN during that one week, potentially $80 worth of them...

I'm NOT a fan of ASUS video cards (particularly the last Strix, it sucked) but after comparing all of the AIB cards I can definitely say THIS is the champ @ $620.
Compare it to the EVGA ACX at $649, what a fucking joke.

Still need to see reviews but if I were buying a 1080 it would hands down be this one.

Well, in his video Jayztwocents said the 1080 wouldn't clock higher with an extra power connector, so sustaining 2.1Ghz may be as good as it gets with this generation. It's unclear what he based that statement on, though-- and I'm waiting for tests before I buy a 1080 without more power.

So far from what I have seen, this and the Zotac Amp Extreme are the two best looking 1080 cards coming out. Hopefully MSI will release some news on the Lightening soon.

I am using Cooler Master HAF XB EVO cases for our gaming rigs precisely because I'd rather have my big Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 air cooler and my video cards sitting vertically on the MB, instead of hanging off the side. My wife and I both love the HAF XB EVO, and now that it uses a SATA power connector to power the hot-swap bays, the one problem the case used to have (i.e. plugging a 4-pin power connector in backward for those bays) is no more.
I use the same case and cooler. I love it. And will probably put this card in it next month too

Some basic maths on the picture says this card is 299-303mm long. Too long for DAN A4, unfortunately, if this is correct.

... so today, you can buy a founders edition for 699. or for 619, you can wait 1 week get this upgraded version....

Nvidia seems to have sold every single one of those $699 cards. So from a marketing point of view, they are brilliant.

People buy over-priced tech items all the time. And then they brag about it, as if having more money than sense was something to be proud of. Look at Apple and Tesla, their entire business strategy is based on exploiting people who do that. As are many other industries, like after-market automobile bling.

That said, I might have bought a GTX 1080 FE (Foolish Expenditure) if I hadn't seen ASUS' offering, because $200 (I would have bought two) just isn't that much money for me. I don't have kids, and building unnecessarily powerful PCs ("Word runs 10% faster!!) is my only expensive vice. So WTF, eh? If you can't have fun when you're spending money, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Microcenter in Houston opened at 10 this morning and they had 15 in stock. I checked stock again around 11:30am and they were sold out.

Product page with specs up: ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING - Overview
Some specs:
  • Engine Clock
    OC Mode - GPU Boost Clock : 1936 MHZ , GPU Base Clock : 1784 MHz
    Gaming Mode (Default) - GPU Boost Clock : 1898 MHZ , GPU Base Clock : 1759 MHz
  • DVI Output : Yes x 1 (Native) (DVI-D)
    HDMI Output : Yes x 2 (Native) (HDMI 2.0)
    Display Port : Yes x 2 (Native) (Regular DP)
    HDCP Support : Yes
  • Power Consumption
    up to 300W, additional 6+8 pin PCIe power required
  • Dimensions
    11.73 " x 5.28 " x 1.57 " Inch
    29.8 x 13.4 x4 Centimeter

I knew there was a reason I wanted a case that could handle videocards up to 12" or more...

It's not a big surprise, look at the last-gen cards.

Aesthetically I prefer MSI Gaming X cooler, but this Asus card have a higher preset OC clock rating (which I assume the card is guarantee to hit).

Lets see what EVGA brings with their Classified version

This guy took it apart:

ZOG5853.png

7iGjQmT.png

Why disappointed in heatsink? Looks quite good. 5 pipes, vrms are in contact.
Heatpipe on the bottom does nothing. Only 3~4 of the pipes are actually doing work.
The fin gap in the middle (where the pipes curve) is WAY too large, there's a huge chunk of fin area missing.
The middle fan basically does nothing.

It's an okay design but I don't see anything jaw-droppingly special about it. Any of the other models could easily beat this.

This is the proper way to design a heatsink. Which is why you should keep an eye on Gigabyte in particular.

Reactions: xorbe
like this
Back