ASUS Strix 1080TI SLI - mystery fan behavior ???

Sprayingmango

[H]ard|Gawd
So here is a good one for all of you...

I noticed that whichever card I have on the bottom of my SLI stack behaves in a weird manner.

The fans turn on / off / on / off every few seconds and the card makes a "grinding" sound. I put it in quotes because it's not physically grinding anything, but rather its just the voltage I assume. You know the sound an old mechanical hard drive used to make when the head would search? That's what I mean.

I swapped the bottom card to the top and it happens no matter which card is there. If you look at the pic I posted from GPU Tweak II, you can see that blue line with the peaks. That is the bottom card. It happens even when I put the cards into "Zero DB mode" which is even MORE confusing!!

Anyone have a clue what's going on??

0YAmCIx.png

Bad hysteresis and fan control near the fan turn-on threshold? Dunno. Since both cards do it, it's unlikely to be a singular problem but rather a design shortcoming. The slightly higher temp of the bottom card is aggravating the fan controller design somehow.
Turn on your AC and let the bottom card drop to 49 C or make a custom fan profile with a lower theshold for fan turn-on.

Back