Asus Striker Extreme - POS

ExarKun

n00b
Bought this board about a week and a half ago...

Piece of crap won't POST.

Grrr...

what is the error code ? Tried booting with one dimm ? did yo do the cmos battery trick ? tried reseating everything ? A thread like this won't be helpful if you don't post any addtional info on what you have tried and done ....

I was just complaining. :)

I tried the 1 dimm trick...tried it with QVL'd memory for the board...

Its stuck on DET DRAM

Didn't try the CMOS battery trick.

Verified with Asus that my "brand new board" has a BIOS from like Dec '06

Asus tech support seems to think the board is bad.

The reseller begged me not to ask for a refund, and ordered me a replacement board. (I'm giving him one chance to get it running then tough titty)

Mainly just frustrated and venting...heh...

Not a fan of ASUS at the moment...

That Patriot Extreme ram is stock rated at 2.2v. The stock memory voltage on the Striker Extreme and p5n32 boards is 1.8v. If you had a stick of lower voltage ram it would post up no problem is my guess. Tons of other Asus users run into the same problem. Just use 1 stick of ram and keep switching it from each ram slot while rebooting each time. And if that doesn't work try to find a friend with a low voltage stick of ram or you may have to order one.

If you actually get it to post up, make sure the first thing you do is get into bios and change the memory voltage and timings to the stock ratings of your ram.

I understand how you feel. I've killed two BIOS chips updating the BIOS on that board. Once with their Windows based utility (yeah I know) and once using the floppy flash method.

Then I paid $25 for them to overnight a new BIOS to me. Then I try 4GB of OCZ Flex XLC PC2-9200 modules and no go. I couldn't get it to work with two of them much less all four. So I ditched the ASUS (I will use it in another system more than likely) and went with an EVGA 680i SLI again. It won't work with all four modules but it works fine with two. Even at 1142MHz using the EPP settings. Works awesome.

I went through the asus striker fiasco recently. I got the same thing, wouldn't post at all. You can either use a stick of standard 1.8v ddr2 in it then change everything in the bios, or try this. Remove the cmos battery and set the jumpers for clrcmos, then depress the clear cmos button. Leave it alone for three hours. Set it all back, and stick only one stick of the memory in the furthers slot for the ram, boot it up and cross your fingers, go into bios and change everything.

Also what is the error on the display in the back. If it's "CPU INIT" the board probably isn't dead, and make sure the LED lights aren't on, it won't start up if they are.

It won't work with all four modules but it works fine with two. Even at 1142MHz using the EPP settings. Works awesome.

SLI/EPP settings on my dominator sticks don't work in the asus for me, but I managed to get all 4 sticks working setting everything myself, and using 2.2 v

Sounds like you need cheap RAM so you can get into the BIOS.
Try some Value Ram, boot it up and raise the voltage, you may need to flash the BIOS too.

I just recently had to ask ASUS for a new BIOS chip in a P5NSLI. It simply wound not flash, no matter what method I tried. They sent me a new chip without any pain.

To tell you the truth, I have a P5N32-E SLI board running at 1.8 RAM voltage using Corsair XMS 800 Hz Ram rated at 2.1V. Ive never had a problem running the Ram at stock 1.8 V and my board has been as solid as they come.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies

After I first tried the Patriot I went out and got some PNY optima that was "supposed" to be 1.8v but it wouldn't detect either. Asus said the problem was I had a old bios and that PNY wasnt on the qualified memory list. They suggested Kingston value ram (1.8v). So I took back the PNY and got some Kingston value ram 533Mhz (1.8v). The QVL really only listed 667 and 800 MHz sticks but Asus assured me that the 533 should work...it didnt

Still says DET DRAM...at which point ASUS said they thought it was the board (but then they may say that about everything)

I tried the Kingston in every slot...no go...

I do get CPU INIT most of the time...sometimes it says CHIP INIT and then a few times its said INIT 8042... The ASUS tech guy didnt even know what INIT 8042 was... <sigh>

LAst opportunity, pull the Cmos battery for half a day, put it back in reset Cmos via the jumper( 15 secs), put it back to default, place the value dimm in and try to boot, if not RMA the mobo mate, it's not only Asus it's hardware in general that really can be a real pain in the arse...

good luck anyway

You aren't alone, I've been in motherboard RMA/return hell ever since I got into c2d :( I'm on my 3rd different board now, DFI p965 which everyone apparently loves yet I can't bring myself to be happy with.

You aren't alone, I've been in motherboard RMA/return hell ever since I got into c2d :( I'm on my 3rd different board now, DFI p965 which everyone apparently loves yet I can't bring myself to be happy with.

When all else fails, buy an Intel D975XBX2 and call it a day.

If you must use the 680i chipset the only board I'll pay money for is the EVGA 680i SLI. (I currently own two of them and I'm very happy with them.)

Thanks again guys...

I put my vendor on notice, I am bringing the rig to their store tomorrow and they are supposed to replace my board...they seem confident that they can get the new one going...I think they just underestimated my abilities and probably think I just don't know how to plug it in.

I wrote them a lengthy email condensing a lot of the info on web concerning the problem.. .yadda yadda...

I'll find out tomorrow if they took advantage of the head's up...

If not I am demanding a refund...

I understand how you feel. I've killed two BIOS chips updating the BIOS on that board. Once with their Windows based utility (yeah I know) and once using the floppy flash method.

Then I paid $25 for them to overnight a new BIOS to me. Then I try 4GB of OCZ Flex XLC PC2-9200 modules and no go. I couldn't get it to work with two of them much less all four. So I ditched the ASUS (I will use it in another system more than likely) and went with an EVGA 680i SLI again. It won't work with all four modules but it works fine with two. Even at 1142MHz using the EPP settings. Works awesome.

Hey Dan_D,

Am glad to know am not the only trying to get 4 sticks of XLC 9200 to work in the Striker. Like you, I got striked out. I was thinking about the eVGA but since you couldn't get this combo to run either, am not going to bother now.

So far am not getting any error with Memtest with just 2 sticks. So I will stick with this setup for now. Hopefully installing and running Windows will be trouble-free.

Hey Dan_D,

Am glad to know am not the only trying to get 4 sticks of XLC 9200 to work in the Striker. Like you, I got striked out. I was thinking about the eVGA but since you couldn't get this combo to run either, am not going to bother now.

So far am not getting any error with Memtest with just 2 sticks. So I will stick with this setup for now. Hopefully installing and running Windows will be trouble-free.

I couldn't get my PC9200 modules to work on the Striker Extreme at all. What settings did you use to get it working?

Back