ASUS Striker as Newegg

It's amazing how fast some of you are throwing this board under the bus... What i got out of the [H] review is that it is not as good as it could be (mostly overclocking) based on a bad BIOS. The Striker is also overpriced... but these two things don't make the board worse than the Evga or any other 680i board. From what i've read in many different threads, the Evga board as many more problems than sited in the [H] review of the Striker. So... wait for a new BIOS (which i'm sure will come soon) and the price to level out. The Striker should be a decent board, just like all the rest :)

antioch said:
Yes, but it's also entirely likely that the other reviewer had the same engineering sample you did - thus suffered from the same effects.

But either way, I agree with the general opinion that, whatever the current condition of the board is, over time it will get a lot better.

I wouldn't want ta bet $400. that it will. :eek:

You know...I'm glad that Asus didn't replace the review sample that Kyle used. For one, that shows that Asus isn't sending "Cherry Picked" boards to their reviewers.

Secondly, I wish you guys would stop saying *$%# Asus and their $400 dollar board. If you pay $400 for the board it is your choice. There is more than one reseller stocking and taking pre-orders for the board for much less. Read the thread if you would like to know who or how to find the board at sub $400 prices!

It is not Asus that set the price of $400. It is the retailers. Don't like it...don't pay it.

ShoNuff said:
You know...I'm glad that Asus didn't replace the review sample that Kyle used. For one, that shows that Asus isn't sending "Cherry Picked" boards to their reviewers.

Secondly, I wish you guys would stop saying *$%# Asus and their $400 dollar board. If you pay $400 for the board it is your choice. There is more than one reseller stocking and taking pre-orders for the board for much less. Read the thread if you would like to know who or how to find the board at sub $400 prices!

It is not Asus that set the price of $400. It is the retailers. Don't like it...don't pay it.

I didn't, i bought the evga one.

While were on the subject, maybe Asus would like to explain why they are marketing an extreme motherboard with only $200. performance? :rolleyes:
Sounds like false advertising to me. :eek:

So I'm not seeing any real difference between the striker and the P5N32-E. All I can see is the led post, array speakers, and external SATA. Well, and the raid controller, but that's where it gets confusing.

I want to set up a raid 01 (0+1) on my new system and I would rather get one of these Asus' (Asi?) then the evga's 680i for that, cause I've been seeing a lot of problems with the evga's raid.

If you look here it shows an additional Sil 3132 raid controller for the striker that the P5N32-E doesn't have. Will that make a difference?

Also the Striker has

Extreme Tweaker
Intelligent overclocking tools:
- AI NOS™ (Non-delay Overclocking System)
- AI Overclocking (intelligent CPU frequency tuner)
- ASUS AI Booster Utility
- O.C Profile
Overclocking Protection:
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

all of which I don't believe the P5N32-E has. Will all that stuff actually make a difference when I'm overclocking? As in ease of use or actual better gains?

I can get both of these for MUCH cheaper then newegg's price, and at about a 50$ difference so... for 50$ more is that stuff gonna be worth it in any of ur opinions?

What I don't get is that asus has several beta bioses that solve some issues with this board and they didn't bother to supply them for or even after the review? It's like they are oblivious to the whole thing. Very dissapointed in the asus lack of response.

grdh20 said:
What I don't get is that asus has several beta bioses that solve some issues with this board and they didn't bother to supply them for or even after the review? It's like they are oblivious to the whole thing. Very dissapointed in the asus lack of response.

Where can these beta BIOSes be had at? I'd like to read the changelog and see what's happening with them.

Thanks.

antioch said:
Where can these beta BIOSes be had at? I'd like to read the changelog and see what's happening with them.

Thanks.

There is no changelog. They are leaked betas with no support behind them. 0505 was posted on some chineee sites and do not know what chnages were made. 0508 has not been leaked but the notes I got on 0508 said:

"Memory compatibility is further improved with 667/533 modules, overclocking is a little better with the 4MB cache chips and with audio enabled."

Hopefully asus will come to their senses and release or at least leak something other than 302 which is earlier than the shipping bios at this piont. :rolleyes:

*sigh*

This board is going to be sold out forever. It's already been like 5-6 weeks since it's release and still, I can't find it.... :mad:

The Asus striker's price has been inflated quite a bit in retail. Amazon charges $350 for it, this is the real MSRP. The P5N32-E SLI is suppose to go for $250, I found a place selling it for $260. I really liked the striker but there are some extra features that I wont need, I ain't hood rich.
Differences are
Striker has an extra pipe, diagnostic lcd, microphone, External SATA connectors. dunno if well ever need those, still sweet. BTW you can't find the striker in stock unless you got bling bling. You can get the P5N32-E SLI now. Can you guys justify the $100 difference? I was really tempted but reality kicked in.

antioch said:
*sigh*

This board is going to be sold out forever. It's already been like 5-6 weeks since it's release and still, I can't find it.... :mad:

Newegg has them in stock now!!

Wow. I started this thread like a month ago to let everyone knwo that the board was available at Newegg.

I even spelled AT wrong in the thread title, lol.

Oh but my point. The thread is STILL going! wow

8 pages of ramble and arguments about the Striker. Why dont all of you just buy an EVGA ???

ASUS clearly did not manufacture enough of the Striker.

SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB SOB!!!! Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD at Newegg!!! >_<

Every time it has the instock ETA I wait patiently ALL day refreshing the page and then NewEgg decides, "Oh, we're not getting stock today" and they decide to post stock at random times --- ALWAYS when I can't get it. Like today, I was on the plane all day from Cali to DC. When they listed their next ETA as Dec 18th last week.

F***ing liars. Every time they lie. *u** newegg. I'd take my business elsewhere but I'd pay the premium for high quality return service. But still I say ***k newegg.

I'm so mad. Been without a desktop for 6 weeks now. =(

*sigh*

/me goes off into the corner to bash a stick against a tree.

in like a month these boards are going to be much easier to get... so I would not sweat it. plus the MSI and Gigabyte 680i boards are going to be out soon.. and DFI in Jan.. the DFI looks really nice. :)

Yea, I know. Patience is a virtue ;). But I feel like newegg's b***h. lol.

I don't like the DFI board so much -- too much orange. I prefer the black of ASUS. Plus I've had an ASUS board since my first Slot A Athlon. Wow, that seems like forever ago. Slot A athlon, then a socket A thunderbird, then a dothan, and now a conroe (or soon to be). Of course I used to have a K6 but I don't know what mobo that was on.

Haha, who remembers when PCs used to have keys that came with them? Lol, those were the days.

I just ordered a P5N32-E SLI, it's a good striker alternative, $100 cheaper only thing that lacks is the lcd that's in the back of the pc that you can't see unless you go to the back, the interior lights is a nice feature, button push reset bios, external sata slots, the sata slots are nice, but like I said were not all made of money, this will offer a slightly more stable platform (o/c wise) than the striker at a fraction of the cost. Only thing I wished it had was external sata slots. I think I made the right choice, it was either this or the striker.

I've never completely figured out external SATA plugs. I realize that with hot-swappability it makes them practically like USB drives - the only issue is where to get the power from? The only thing I know that is SATA right now are HDs (and a few DVDRWs) all which need a separate power connector. Since only the SATA plug is external with no power plug, I see no merit in having external SATA plugs.

Someone please enlighten me though as I'd love to know and put em to use! :)

antioch said:
I've never completely figured out external SATA plugs. I realize that with hot-swappability it makes them practically like USB drives - the only issue is where to get the power from? The only thing I know that is SATA right now are HDs (and a few DVDRWs) all which need a separate power connector. Since only the SATA plug is external with no power plug, I see no merit in having external SATA plugs.

I think someone makes external enclosures with SATA external ports, basically just an extention of the drive's port with a DC wall plug.

Benefits over USB would be latency, (theoretical) bandwidth, and ability to run RAID arrays.

It's currently in stock @ NewEgg. Go snatch 'em up before they disappear again for who knows how long!

If I understand your question correctly, there are already external drives with an ESATA interface. They look and act much like USB external drives except they're much faster. NewEgg has a few like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148154

Back